Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licensing for encoding and using codecs

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We use Premiere Pro to create instructional videos. We do not charge for these videos but we do install/distribute on test and measurement instruments that can play the video for end users and the instruments are sold. We have been asked to verify licensing requirments re the encoding.

Does Premiere Pro include the right to distribute content created in the application? We are kicking out an MP4.

I searched and could not find specific answers on the web so if you have some links you can provide I can do the reading...;-)

Thanks,

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard that Adobe restricts any user to distribute content in any of the aviable codecs in Premiere Pro. The H.264 codec in Premiere Pro is from MainConcept and Adobe pays them to being able to distribute the codec to you, the end user.

AFAIK, MainConcept is still used in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Codec aside for a second: assuming you own the copyright to the content complied within your video, or you have the rights to use said video, then yes.

Although there is a consideration depending on the version of Premiere Pro you have. I believe this is because Premiere Pro comes with any licenses (if required) for the included audio/video codecs (I think we'd see a lot more lawsuits if that wasn't the case). However with Premiere Pro CC specifically, you need to keep your version of Premiere somewhat up-to-date, as sometimes that codec licensing changes over time (notably like what happened with Premiere and Dolby and why earlier versions of Premiere Pro CC were taken off of Adobe's servers)

If you have a subscription license to Premiere Pro CC, just make sure you're running one of the versions that Adobe still posts publicly, which is CC 2018 or later I believe. Ideally, run the latest version if you can. If you have a perpetual license for Premiere Pro then you're good.

I'm admittedly not a legal expert, but here's a legal page I found that might answer your question: https://www.adobe.com/legal/terms.html or maybe someone with more legal knowledge can help verify or correct me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

===========

Does Premiere Pro include the right to distribute content created in the application? We are kicking out an MP4.

========

You can do anything you want with what you make with the software. There is NO question of license involved at all for YOU.  You will not get 'permission' documentation, nor 'restriction' documentation re: this issue because the issue does not exist.

Do what you want with what you make.

The ONLY issues with your product is CONTENT related. You cannot use copyrighted materials ( like a Ford Motor Company Logo ) in your content without permission from Ford, for example.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the issue of copyright with Ford Motor Company logo is NOT AN ADOBE CONCERN. It is up to Ford Motor Company legal office to inform YOU that you must cease and desist using the logo wihtiout permission. Non of this has anything to do with adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines