• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low quality of gaussian blur - "puddles" appearing around isolated objects

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently migrated from FCPX because I don't like the workflow there but I never had any problems with gaussian blur. Here in Premiere Pro the gaussian blur seems low quality - on isolated objects on predominantly black background, puddles of black colour start appearing around objects. Please see images below (I made the images very bright so the effect becomes more obvious - otherwise it is hard to see on my 2013 retina Mac while screen the problem is clearly evident on my BenQ SW271 monitor):

https://we.tl/t-NHkdgOKvCa

there are 4 images in the zip folder

01 - Original image, no blur (you can import this image in Premiere and see it for yourself - as said, make it bright if using older retina screens)

02 - Gauss in Premiere Pro set at value 50. You can see "puddles" of black colour appearing around bigger objects. Also isolated pixels (not evident on this image) have a tendency to become large squares rather than blurry circles - probably due to the same problem that creates black "puddles" around objects.

03 - Gauss in FCPX at 50 - perfect blur, no problems (* the effect at setting 50 is different as in Premiere but there are no errors in the blur, in Premiere Pro the problems start appearing at settings around 8 to 10 which, so at mild blur settings)

04: Gauss effect in Premiere Pro set to 5 but then copy-pasted 60-times (yes, 60 times!) - the blur effect has no glitches, looks perfect, but of course it's not a useful strategy. However, that points to a problem in Premiere - to me it seems like the Gaussian blur effect does no perform many internal passes?

So, is there any option to turn on the "high quality" settings for Gaussian blur or....any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Many thanks for your replies Ann and Averdahl!

Camera Blur looks awesome although it is very CPU or GPU expensive, not sure if I can afford it. Currently working on 8K project and it takes approximately 5 seconds to see any change I do with Camera Blur (on laptop with i9 processor and GTX 1080).

Will check also the legacy Gaussian and report to Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.any other suggestions?

Post the images directly.

post+screendump.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

01 - Original - No Blur.jpg02 - PP-Gauss at 50.jpg03 - FCPX-Gaus at 50.jpg04 - PP-Gaus at 5 copy-pasted 60 times.jpg

I am not sure if you'll be able to see the problem on these small and lo quality images. If not, I hope clicking on the link does not present too much of a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is obvious also from the pics here on the forum. See image 2 for the problem. To recreate the situation at home, import first image in your Premiere and play with Gaussian blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same issue with gaussian blur.

Try Camera Blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see it here as well on Windows in Premiere Pro CC2018 and CC2019.

If i open the image in After Effects CC2019 and use the old Gaussian Blur it works as expected, but there is no option to check the Repeat Edge Pixels. In After effects, look for Gaussian Blur (Legacy).

In Premiere Pro, go to Help > Provide Feedback and file it there with the sample image to make Adobe aware of this so they can fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for your replies Ann and Averdahl!

Camera Blur looks awesome although it is very CPU or GPU expensive, not sure if I can afford it. Currently working on 8K project and it takes approximately 5 seconds to see any change I do with Camera Blur (on laptop with i9 processor and GTX 1080).

Will check also the legacy Gaussian and report to Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines