• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lumetri bug with Tangent Ripple and Premiere 2017

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Tangent Ripple in Premiere 2017 for Lumetri Panel control I find that at first touch of the wheel in any of the three Color Wheel controls- the value of the slider jumps immediately to the bottom of the scale.  In previous software releases it did not do this and started from the default center position of the slider.  Thus you could increase or decrease the value form the existing value rather than redefine the value from the minimum up to the change in value.  This is very awkward and time consuming when you just want to touch up the brightness or value of any of the three slider values of the picture without going thru the entire scale to get back to where you started from.

MacOS Sierra

Version 10.12.1

Mac Pro (Mid 2012)

PROCESSOR 2X2.4 GHZ 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 40 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3

Graphics- NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 680 2048 MB (using CUDA setting in Project)

Serial Number CMVJ90HGFMD

PREMIERE CC 2017 11.0.0 (154) Build  Tanq

Tangent Ripple

Tangent Mapper Version 2.1.2

connected to TangentHub v1.2.3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

They've clearly got some issues to work through on the implementation of Lumetri and the external surfaces. So ... PLEASE!!!! ... file bug/feature reports on these, as this is the main way to get this sort of thing to the attention of the managerial types who make engineering budget decisions ...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting this behavior in Win10 ... wondering if it's something in your setup or Sierra specific. Hoping others say with Mac/Sierra chime in, so we get some help. Or ... perhaps a support staffer might know something ... petergaraway​ for instance ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have this exact same issue and it's incredibly frustrating. I've just upgraded to Premiere 2017 and this is when the problem presented itself (wasn't an issue with 2015.4). I'm on PC (Win10) so it isn't a Mac only issue. Did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Mac Os and found that the 2017 version of Premiere has a few surprises.  The temp solution I found while using the Tangent device is to make a slight change in the color wheel ball first and then go to the rotating knobs for levels on highlights midrange or blacks afterwards that so I don't get the jump to minimum value on the sliders.  I can either leave the slight variation of hue made first if it is not evident or reset to the null using the buttons to the right of the wheel to get back to no change.  It's another set of button pushes but it avoids the annoying set the value to the bottom of the slider each and every time I go to make a level change first using the Tangent controller.

I also found that you now have to access the History panel now to UNDO more than one action and there is no menu item to set the number of undos allowed any longer.  Another pain as I have to keep another window open if I want to use this feature and use up more screen space.

Who's designing these interfaces?

-Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barry, that's really good advice - just pressing the ball reset button first before using the rotating knobs seems to do the trick. It is one extra button press, and would have to remember to do it for every clip which is a bit of a drag, but it's a good workaround for now. Hopefully they'll come up with a fix eventually 😕 Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've clearly got some issues to work through on the implementation of Lumetri and the external surfaces. So ... PLEASE!!!! ... file bug/feature reports on these, as this is the main way to get this sort of thing to the attention of the managerial types who make engineering budget decisions ...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Neil. I filed a bug report as a result of your advice.

barry cohen

post supervisor | online editor

young hollywood

1627 pontius avenue | first floor | los angeles, ca 90025

o: 310.481.2282 | c: 818.807.8308

e: barry@younghollywood.com | www.younghollywoodtv.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Adobe never responds, not even with an automated "thank you for your submission ... " return, so for so many users they seem wasted time ... useless.

When you actually get to understand some of the operational practices of the company, you find that every one of those gets tabulated or something, and delivered to the managerial decision makers. As to what they choose to do, well, that is another matter.

But a large part of their "feel" for what is needed to fix or which features may be "liked" by users comes from those bug report/feature-request forms. Although that gets thrown into the decision mix as part of the process, as they also have their internal road-maps which are not shared publicly.

But they are the best way we users can get some of our feelings and wishes across to the folks that do make the decisions.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having issues with April 2017 update to PP and the Tangent Ripple. However mine are a little different. Using the Tangent Ripple, hitting the "B" button to navigate thru the panels, all panels expand and work just fine except for the Color Wheels panel. Which for me, is the most important one and the bread and butter with the Ripple.

I've been in contact with Tangent and they were able to replicate the problem and have informed me this is a bug with the Premiere update. So both myself and Tangent are filing bug reports with Adobe.

thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've noted this problem for the latest release, and had communications with both Tangent and Adobe prior to NAB, and also while at NAB last week.

It would be nice to know a specific time for the resolution of this, but ... it doesn't stop you from working, or even using the color wheels/luma sliders ... it just stops you from seeing the UI controls for them while you work the balls & dials. Which is weird.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil for the report and NAB results.  I have been reading the boards and it seems that many problems are evident with the new release.  I was hoping the Tangent problems would go away and would operate with out difficulty.  For now it's on the books that it needs attention.  I am exploring DaVinci Resolve to see if it offers round tripping without too much interpretation errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best wishes with the Resolve. It's an awesome program, and some friends are colorists and of course nearly "live" in that program. And move things in/out of PrPro for their clients all the time. I have it, occasionally work a bit in it.

Even though colorists have at times an assistant to do conforms (when they can), sometimes it works well, sometimes the conform is a bloody pain. Depending on what sort of minute settings one uses in PrPro, some things come into Resolve easy to ... resolve ... or not. With a good sized project, I know the colorists tend to budget a half-day or more of time totally spent on conforming.

I think it's easier for a small shop that only works its own media ... you'd get to know how to set up your projects to send them to Resolve & back, and get an established process. Set-to, scale-to, frame-rate ramps, those sorts of things need a particular set of settings in PrPro matched with particular settings in Resolve. Once you learn those, it should just work.

"Should" being the operative word there.

I'm still grading with the Elements primarily (though sometimes the Ripple), and it's a pain to have the things shunt off the UI controls in color wheel mode ... but I have enough time spent with them that I watch the scopes more than the controls anyway, so ... I'm getting by.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the reply Neal.  It may be painful at first but I hope that Adobe will make it to the Finish Line with color correction and feature integration.  We will have to wait and see.  I suspect I will be pulling my hair out with round tripping to Resolve.  One thing I would like to see is better master clip color correction.  Premiere loses its mind in this neighborhood and has fits in trying to follow the logic.  I wrote this up in a bug report.  Having galleries of thumbnails is something I wish PP had as well.  I have always admired that in other dedicated color correction systems.

Best,

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a new "Senior Project Manager for Video Editing" ... Patrick Palmer, one of the two creators of Iridas (which became SpeedGrade on acquisition by Adobe) and former Project Manager for SpeedGrade. I had a chance to talk with him at the Adobe booth at NAB, and ... naturally, being so not-shy ... shared my joys but many reservations of the current Lumetri panel.

I think it's safe to assume he is more ... amenable? ... to the concerns of the colorist side of the trade. So I'm hoping in the next version or two that we users can get a better grading situation. It's so needed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I filed a bug report again after updating to 2017_11.1.2 (22) on Premiere with the same difficulty. Along with all stated in this string I want to add that when switching between clips in the timeline using Ripple to control Lumetri effect I have great difficulty.

First, when I advance to the next clip in the TL and start to color it I find that I am still coloring the previous clip and not seeing it change in the PGM window on the right(because I am not affecting the highlighted clip at all).  I am unknowingly coloring the master clip of the previous cut in the TL and not the present one highlighted and in the PGM window.  What a pain.  Premiere does not release the Master clip color control when advancing to the next clip in the TL.  Instead, it holds the parameters of change to the last clip affected if it's the master clip......and does not unlatch Lumetri from it even though I have selected a new clip to color as a local clip or its master clip when available as the highlighted clip in the TL.

Using Mac OsX 10.12.1

40 G ram

Dual display

2x2.4 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon

NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 680 2048 MB

Serial Number GMVJ90HGF4MD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines