• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximizing when I edit footage...should I shoot all 2k, 1080, or 4k is okay...using multiple devices.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm heading out to vacation and before I start recoding. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on the best settings. I would like to record on my GoPro and my Mavic Pro drone. Last time I didn't have the same setting the when I tried to edit it came me some problems.

To be on the safe side should I record in 2k? Also what clip should I start with in my project with I start the project. I know that determines if the sequence will be 2k or 4k or whatever I drop.

Sorry I'm new to premiere and what to make life easy when I start the import process.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it is okay to use multiple device. You can shoot with your GoPro, Mavic, Phones, cameras, and blend everything togather in the perfect vacation film.

If it's for personnal/family use, I would recommand a final resolution of 1080p. With that in mind, here are some recommandations:

For your drone, I would shoot in 2k / 2.7k, this will give you a bit of extra room is you need to stabilize the footage, or just reframe a bit. The files will be bigger, but since it's not a huge resolution boost, it shouldn't be too big.

For your GoPro, if you're shooting close to your subject, I would, the same shoot in 2k / 2.7k. Depending on your gopro model, you will have (or not) a bit of stabilization, but if you don't have a gimbal (like the Karma grip), shooting in 2.7k will give you extra room for stabilization.

If you're shooting from afar, I would recommand shooting in 4k. So that you can "zoom" in the image (up to 2x) without any loss of quality.

The most important is: try to shoot at the same framerate (usually 30fps for US, 25 for Europe). Want a more cinematic look? Shoot 24 (usually 23.98). Only shoot in 60fps or above for slow motion shots.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seb has excellent points.

The main thing as he notes is to shoot the same frame-rate for your "standard" media, whichever frame-size is being used. A 23.98 ("24fps") look gets just a bit more edge-blur on moving things, more like typical movies, which is why it's called 'cinematic'. 29.97 gets just a bit less edge-blur on moving things. Higher speeds get less of course.

Using a say 60fps shot as your 'standard' time of course doubles the workload on the computer for playback during editing. And the size of the final output also, unless you compress more.

So ... esthetics for 'motion blur' and practical for size of the files, those are really the two things to think about.

You can blend material from several frame-rates together ... but sometimes the end result isn't as smooth nor easy to get as if they were shot at a consistent frame-rate. This does not of course include clips shot at fast frame-rates in order to use as slow-motion.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay perfect thank you so much guys. I didn't even think about the frame rate and making sure I shoot a consistent frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines