• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Menu missing when copy protection is selected.

Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple DVD project with just one navigation menu. When I build it to .iso with "Unlimited copies are allowed" and open it with VLC player, it shows the menu and works as expected. However, if I build the same exact project with "No copies allowed" selected, the VLC player acts as if there's no menu in the .iso.

Has anybody seen this and why is this happening? I don't care if this is a VLC bug, could it be an Encore bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Replication with Encore can be complicated. For examples, see this thread. It may contain links to (or links to links!) for tools.

How do I burn a DVD for Replication?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encore does not do direct copy protection... the copy protection flag is only if you are going to create the special version to send off to a replication provider, where that provider adds the actual protection during the process of creating the "glass master" that is used to press blobs of the hot disc "stuff" into a finished DVD

So what you are trying to do on your computer with your output is not possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John! Actually, the only reason why I'm using copy protection is that the replication provider requested it. But since the .iso behaves differently after adding copy protection, I'm concerned that the replicator will print 100s of DVDs with the menu not working. I don't understand why would adding a copy protection flag would affect the menu system, but that's what I'm seeing.

Also, my duplicator prefers .ddp files, but I don't have software to open them for verification purposes. Do you know if there's any free .ddp viewer for Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only create a DVD for personal/family use, so really don't have any information other than the general note I posted that you can't use copy protection on a disc you create

Since I have never had to create the special master to send to a replication house, I know nothing about the file

I did find a couple links that may help Copy Protection is Not Supported! |Adobe Community  and In-House DVD Duplication |Adobe Community (or they may not... I really don't know)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just burn one disc from your iso file and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replication with Encore can be complicated. For examples, see this thread. It may contain links to (or links to links!) for tools.

How do I burn a DVD for Replication?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who replied! I have worked this out with the replication provider for now. Your help made it much easier to get with them on the same page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does the project really warrant the added expense and complexity of Replication, versus simple Duplication? Replication implies that a glass master is made, and copies are pressed from that master, while Duplication is simply making copies as you would using your own DVD burner, except in mass quantities.

The companies I've contracted DVD copying out to will accept a DVD-R master, or even an upload of the .iso image. Simple and inexpensive. I get DVDs duplicated for $2 each, includes full color disc print, DVD library case with full color sleeve, and even a full-color insert page inside case. And shrink wrapped also. Very fast turn-around.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines