MOGRT created in After Effects and connected to a JSON file is not displaying data in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent ages creating a composition in After Effects which links to and displays data from a JSON file.  I can see the data displayed when in AE, however after creating a MOGRT file and dragging to the timeline in Premiere, none of the JSON data is displayed.

I have a different composition which is using JSON data and I have used Dynamic Link to import that and the data displays correctly with that one.

I need to use a MOGRT file for the one that's not working as I need to make a selection that changes what data is being displayed.

Can anyone help me to figure out why I'm not seeing the data?

Many thanks.

After Effects 22.2.1

Premiere 22.3.1

Windows 10

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Data-driven Motion Graphics templates support controls for CSV and TSV.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-motion-graphics-templates.html

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just used Dynamic Link inside Premiere to import the composition that is not displaying the JSON data in the MOGRT file.  When I place it on the timeline the data is displayed, however doing it that way means I don't have access to change any settings inside Essentail Graphics.

What am I missing?  Surely there must be a way to get this to work?  Any help gratefully received.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a tricky one ... maybe @DaciaSaenz or @Jarle Leirpoll might be able to help?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil for bringing this thread to the attention of those who might be able to help.

I hope so, becasue if not then I'll be forced into making over 50 copies of the various compositions and then imoprting them all seperately into Premiere.  Eek!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data-driven Motion Graphics templates support controls for CSV and TSV.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-motion-graphics-templates.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.  Sadly that's not the news I was hoping for.  Way too much time has gone into making the compositions work with the JSON data to change them now.  There are 145 layers and almost all layers have expressions.  I'm not even sure I'd be able to achieve what I need with a CSV or TSV file.

Super frustraiting that MOGRT's don't work with JSON.  I wonder if they ever will?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since discovered that in order to have the JSON data displayed inside Premiere when using a Dynamic Link you need to have:

After Effects installed

After Effects open

The project that has the data open and active in After Effects.

This means that all compositions that you need to display in Premiere, that have JSON data, will need to be in the same project.

If I'd known about not being able to use JSON in a MOGRT then I might have started to develop using a CSV or TSV, however I worry that those formats are not as flexible for what I was working on.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just want to point out that Dataclay Templater offers tremendous advanatages of MOGRT workflows when it comes to data sources (especially JSON). Yes, Templater is a paid subscription, but there is a reason Netflix, Apple, Amazon, the NFL, and many, many more companies are building automated After Effects solutions on our technology! MOGRTs are great - but Templater goes way beyond what MOGRTs can offer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines