Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multicam Editing in Premiere CC Issue

Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded th trial version in Premiere CC and try to edit a multicam project edit about 30 min of footage saved it and close Premiere CC after reopen each cut made on timeline start with the begining of video so like i had 3 cameras and all of them start recording on diferent time i got like black image all over and sometime when i had switched to the camer x what start recording 1st is showing the image

........ any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

The fix for this bug has been cleared. It will be in a patch that’s nearly ready for release. I’m not at liberty to talk about when exactly the patch will go live, but it will not be until after we return from the company-wide shutdown this week. This fix not only produces correct multicam sequences but also redeems those corrupted by the bug.

I traced the issue back to the exact build when it was introduced, which dated to just weeks before the end of the cycle. It was not discovered until liter

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 225 Replies 225
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, a refund is highly warranted here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Mark for more insight.

Although you don't have the admin chops to do so, floating the idea of a "Known issues" sticky might be helpful in staving off the wave of "why didn't you tell us!" posts that you inevitably got with this particular bug. While I know that having a banner upfront about everything thats wrong with a product isn't exactly attractive in terms of sales, it does give us insight into what you are aware of and working on which is always comforting. Just a thought. Thx again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do appreciate Mark comming forth with the information, and these things do happen.  I am still curious if they will restart my trial after the fix is in place.  I actually considered migrating from a competing platform, and was almost ready to commit, when my own multicam edit went south about three days in.  I went back to using the old platform for my current work for the meantime. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks once again Mark for all what you do.......... thanks for clarification how thee things work ......... like i sa said i was lucky enough and work on 30 min piece of project some of us spent days , but is good to know somebody is working on fixing it...........

and if adobe needs more pre-release testers i will be more then welcome to help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should have way more professionalism then this.  I just discovered this bull today and lost a full days work. My hourly rate combined with the time I lost is worth far more then the yearly subscription I signed up to. How is Adobe going to make good on this extremely time consuming, damaging, critical error and take responsibility  for a product that did not perform as advertised? This has obviously caused an enormous amount of headaches for many creative professionals. If this question is directed at the wrong individual can you please forward me to the correct department to address this issue? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, I have read your posts and, as so many have, I appreciate your candor.  What I am surprised and frustrated by, however, is that in over a week of searching for any mention of the issue on the web, any mention at all, I could not find this thread until today.  I am not a professional as so many here are, but even using the simplest key words and descriptive phrases, I kept coming up with advertising for PP CC new multicam features and "how-to's."  I've re-cut a 2 hour 50th wedding anniversary 5 times to make 5 minute tweaks.  --Variations of which you've heard before, I know, but I think the underlying issue continues to be under-reported and under-addressed.  These lovely folks aren't getting any younger.  😉

I'm awaiting the fix along with everyone else, but I'm also wondering if I should cancel my trial?  Getting locked into the subscription without knowing if this single (for me) critical feature works does not sound positive, even if I have to go back to 5.5.

On a positive note, I do have to say that I love the "sync by audio" feature for multicam.

Regards,

twomews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insight Mark. As I understand it, any multicam timelines that have been scambled as a result of the bug will be restored once your update is released?

When will this update be released?

I'm looking at a day down the drain unless the update comes this week, and total uncertainty of the stability of another project all cut in multicam cc. What a disaster Adobe. With bugs reported in the system why not inform us to stay away until its ready for professional use?

I agree with a refund or credit issued to address the time and money this is costing us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A controversial subscription model with no graceful user exit option and a brutal EULA.

A not-ready-for-primetime release.

Adobe takes a week off.

Perfect Storm?

I do admire Mark's candor and taking the bullet for Adobe.  This kind of  communication would never have happened as recently as 3 years ago.

Adobe will certainly survive this (although from the sound of things, some of their customers may not ;-).

To appease its disenfranchised users, perhaps Adobe should offer a carrot...An Exit Plan.

As a "seasoned pro" and loyal Suite user since v1.5 (and one-time flatbed editor...yeah, I'm that old), I will not require the software for business purposes 3 - 5 years from now.  However, I will likely want to continue using the software for personal projects, but not at $50 a month (or whatever it might cost then).

The solution?  Adobe could essentially "freeze" my then-current software version, suspending all further updates upon my exit from the Adobe grid.  Not only would Adobe lure me into their CC web for some time to come, they would also benefit from a healthy cash-out payment of, say, the cost of a (former) Master Suite version upgrade or similar.  In turn, I would get a perpetual license of the version of my choosing, not abandoned at CS6.

In my situation (others will have their own reasons), I can't see being a participant in the great CC experiment.  CS6 is the end of the line.  No new software for me and no new money for Adobe.

What a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of people that lost 6 hours of work due to this bug.  Very frustrating!  Oh, and going back to CS6 isn't a possibility because of the AVCHD bugs that are still unresolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

We do appreciate your communication with us all and I made the switch from FCP7 to PPRO and have been in love with ADOBE since.

Apple would have never admitted this problem for the most part and left us high and dry for a while.

We love the fact Adobe listens to its users and really need this patch to come out this week 7/8.

Im stranded currently with my clients project which was a 5 camera shoot and 70% done.

I cant exit the project because I will loose all my work for a 2nd time on the Multi-cam sequence.

It is urgent I see others in this thread are loosing $$$ per each day that goes by.

This kind of a mistake would normally warrant some sort of compensation for all the companies loosing money daily

knowing that bug existed and still release 7.0 in good faith. LIke myself, my projects current projects cant be opened by

a CS6 revision.

We are anxiously waiting for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, I agree with loveppro11 saying that we appreciate that Adobe listens to their customers.  I know that is true from experience, and with Streamthis in admiring "
your candor and taking the bullet for Adobe".

But seriously, the scale and severity of these "bugs" is outrageous.  I just got done waiting and waiting for the release of Premiere CC and it’s solution to the last major bug.  I was waiting to finish a huge project.  The footage was all shot in spanned AVHCD files which suffered from the bug discussed in the AVHCD Workflow thread.  For those of you who don't know about that epic fail, the spanned AVHCD bug involves an error in the architecture of the CS6 playback engine.  It catches large AVHCD (.mts) videos in endlessly looping HD read cycles slowing even the most powerful workstations to an unusably slow pace, or locking them up entirely. 

The above problem plagued Adobe CS6 users for nearly a year before it was solved.  However, during this time, thousands of Premiere users with cameras shooting the popular AVHCD format upgraded unknowingly to CS6. 

We received no disclaimer from Adobe.  No warning of the disaster we were about to were about to embark on.  Worse yet, with no clearly publicized notice, all of us had to re-discover the nature of the problem for ourselves.  For most of us, that was an exhausting undertaking involving extensive hardware testing and research after which we finally stumbled upon the above mentioned thread.

There, we discovered that Adobe knew about the problem all along.

Now that problem is solved, but as soon as I think I can start freely editing my AVHCD videos,  I am out of the frying pan and into the fire, with another epic fail by Adobe. This problem is even worse, because there is no complex transcoding workaround.  There is nothing I can do to effectively continue editing my multicam AVHCD footage.  So once again, I wait for a solution...   When I was supposed to be finished with this project months ago. 

Premiere is significantly broken and has been in some ways since the release of CS6.  However, in spite of the trouble its caused me, that's not what frustrates me... I understand that video is a formidable and tricky beast and that trying to creating the most outstanding NLE in an era of ever increasing resolutions and frame rates is one of Adobe's most daunting undertakings.  What really makes this a massive fail, is not that it happened...   No, that is completely understandable… and we hail the efforts of Premiere engineers in overcoming these and all the other bugs that were solved before we had to experience them. 

Releasing a bug is just a mistake or oversight…  The fail is in the fact that we (your loyal customers) were never notified.

Trustingly, we upgraded and walked into a disaster that was completely avoidable by simply not upgrading.  Sure, CS5 is outdated, but Multicam works fine and it cuts AVHCD files.  For those of us for whom CS6 was working, they could have waited to download the CC update if they are doing multicam. 

It would be so easy to issue a disclaimer saying:

“Warning to users cutting multicam videos in the next 3 weeks.  Wait to upgrade until this patch is released.” 

“Warning to users shooting AVHCD format.  Files longer than an hour are not supported.  Continue using CS5 until a fix is released”

Just thinking about some comparable situations in other industries really highlights how outrageous this lack of communication is.   If this was a car, I would be protected by a "lemon law".  There would be no tech support rep telling me something like, ‘well, we knew when we released the car that this model doesn't shift into second gear, but a solution is only a few months away and, in the meantime, tech support has issued a work around:  If you rev it high enough in 1st you can usually just shift right in to third, just watch out for steep hills.’

We understand that this is software, so it's different, because it can be upgraded more easily, but that doesn't mean that people don't get hurt!  This thread and the one I listed above are strong evidence that there are a lot of your customers hurting right now. 

To give another example, if an automobile manufacturer released a car knowing that there was an issue with the passenger side seatbelt allowing the latch to come loose, there would be massive liability if customers were not warned.  Even if they planned to mail every owner a part that could snap into place to fix the problem a month after release, if they didn't want to admit the problem until then, somebody's going to get hurt in the meantime.  These aren't lives at stake in our situation, but people's livelihoods and credibility are...  Not to mention Adobe's credibility. 

The fact of the matter is, that problems like these do happen and they result in large efforts to first notify customers and then, recall and fix faulty products.  Why isn't Adobe taking responsibility for that first step?

Finally, I want to be clear that I am not writing this to complain.  I am writing in the hopes that Adobe will learn from these failures.  All of us have substantial investments in learning using and purchasing Adobe products.  That investment demonstrates that we believe Premiere to be potentially a superior NLE.  I think I can speak for most of us in saying that we want to see Adobe continue to be tremendously successful. 

My foremost request is that at Adobe, you yourselves make use of the collaborative platform you are creating.  The Creative Cloud model is a novel and innovative system.  Adobe hails it as opening the door to creating a community of its users and a platform for their collaboration.  Why then is Adobe so reluctant to use the system they created to communicate back to their customers. 

The Application Manager already carries some information about the nature of updates, why not also include notices and disclaimers about when updating might be a bad idea, or the exact improvements made in an application.  Furthermore, linking to threads like these, would be tremendously helpful. It would also let Adobe’s thousands of users know that Adobe does listen to them and base its improvements off of requests and discussions made right in these threads in its online communities.  I would argue however, that the creative cloud does not constitute a true community unless communication is initiated in both directions.  Adobe could start by letting its customers know that it is looking out for them before they blunder into preventable disasters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So will it be much longer for the update to come? I have a 2hr multicam project and it kills to have to do that again...I will end up in anger management classes due to this software!!! I have learned an important lesson to never use new software, specially from Adobe, ever again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, when will this update happen?   I didn't realize there was a problem till it cost me a few hundred dollars.  A heads up email from adobe would've been nice... before I embarked on a multi-cam project that would see this bug in my main save file as well as 8 previous auto-saves.  My only option is to go back and recover 4 hours of editing and get hit with late fee's from the client, unless of course the update comes out by morning.  Please update the status....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here it is Oct 4 and I just encountered this priblem.  What a doozy!  The problem is that my export contains the revert-to-clip-start edits, and then Premiere crashed!!!  So I am stuck with no edits, no working timeline, and not even an export to which to conform by eye.

OS 10.7.5 and Premiere CC 7.0.0  latest update.

Is my project lost?  Will I be able to recover the edits??  A days work with the client gone...

Wait, is it 7.0.1 to fix this?  Didn't do that update yet... fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet Zaby Jeebus!!  It worked.  Saved the old project and all timelines intact.

I was about to go for a walk and get a stiff drink before emailing the client about their deadline.

Adobe, you redeemed yourselves of any past lives' sins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with multicam. I can see that you posted something about a patch fixing this issue on july, is there a way of knowing if there will be a fixture soon? I would really appreciate not having to re-do everything from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 7.0.1 update is the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, I thought I had ir updated but it came up that it wasn't. Problem fixed. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This problem has been fixed by the Premiere Pro CC 7.0.1 update. If you are running 7.0, you will need to update the application. Within Premiere Pro, choose Help > Updates...

The fix is included in Premiere Pro CC (7.0.1) and later. If you are still encountering trouble with this issue, please file a bug report: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thank you,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multicam has not been fixed and i have 7.2.1. I still have to periodically create a new sequence from clip and paste in what i have done so far because of the multicam selector malfunction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Please file a bug if you have the time. We would be interested in finding out what's not working for you. See the URL from my previous post.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Mapes wrote:

This fix not only produces correct multicam sequences but also redeems those corrupted by the bug.

Well, I'm experiencing the exact same problem. So, I updated Adobe Permiere Pro CC to version v7.2.1, but it did not redeem my sequence corrupted by the bug. What can I do to restore my multi-camera edit?
I don't want to loose about 20 hours of work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was just an update to Premiere Pro, do you know if this issue is fixed yet? I couldn't even get multicam to work at all, could not monitor multple tracks, just one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The prior post mentions a fix sometime next week.

And I also appreciate Mark's update in this thread as it at least allows some transparency and dialogue between the user base and the development team.  I can't think of any of the other products that I own that have this level of involvement. I wish the camera folks would follow this trend.

But, I agree with the prior poster that it was a huge mistake to let this go to Production, with a known defect, when your primary users will be losing work.  I hope lessons can be learned from this moving forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also seeing the same multicam issue and it is described accurately by la_diamond, where the clip resets to the first cut point.

ETA: Also agree with poster above that it looks like the problem is if you want to re-cut a multicam sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines