• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Name of LUT or how do I get this color?

Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in love with the first video (the color or LUT it has, I don't know, I'm a rookie). Does anyone know what LUT has or how that beautiful color is achieved?

I leave here two videos, the first is the one I like its color and the second is a RAW video of an A7s 2. How do I get the color of the first video in the second video?

Video 1https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DA3y5qiki83TQdGIAP9sVStnbq3ox6AH
Video 2https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Acv5XTFYaEoFdw3iClmc3dG6CDa2DyTw

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

First thing ... LUTs aren't magic. Colorists call them "the dumbest math out there". They are very useful for certain things, true. But ... unless you know exactly what you're doing with them, you can do as much damage as good.

That first clip ... the non-skin colors, especially blues and greens, are way desaturated. Shadows can be dark but don't look crushed, whites look to be slightly down though highlights can be high, and to compensate they raised the contrast gradient of the midtones. In

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

I would recommend the book 'Color Correction Handbook' by Alexis van Hurkman for information on using color grading tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing ... LUTs aren't magic. Colorists call them "the dumbest math out there". They are very useful for certain things, true. But ... unless you know exactly what you're doing with them, you can do as much damage as good.

That first clip ... the non-skin colors, especially blues and greens, are way desaturated. Shadows can be dark but don't look crushed, whites look to be slightly down though highlights can be high, and to compensate they raised the contrast gradient of the midtones. In some clips, they may well have used a mask or "window" to protect her and her clothes while desaturating all other values.

The first step in color work is to get "neutral" ... so that all clips are showing a standard tonal range and fairly accurate color. Once you've done that all down the seqeunce, and the clips play one into the next without jolting the eye, you're ready to start a "look" creation process. So ... first layer of Lumetri, neutralize the media.

Start by getting a good basic tonal range, no blacks crushed, no (or only specular highlights) lights clipped, and all color both "normal" to the eye and within a natural looking saturation range.

Now that the clips all the way down the sequence are very neutral and similar, start the Look by setting the tonality of this look. Create another layer of Lumetri with the Basic tab saturation at zero, then use the Color Wheels tab to hold the Shadow Luma (brightness slider)  slightly up and slightly pull the Highlights Luma slider down.

Then go to the Curves tab, and set two control points similar distance above/below center, maybe at most a third of the way from center to the ends of the curves tool. Pull the upper one very slightly up and to the left. Pull the lower one very slightly down and to the right. Work between the Curves tab and Color Wheels to get the tonality looking correct for the look you want. You need a lot of contrast in the middle values, but nothing pushed into black nor clipped to white. The shadows will be 'condensed', as you'll be pushing the lower mids down into lower shadows. The highlights also, as you'll be pushing upper mids up but not allowing any clipping of whites.

Now ... reset the saturation control to mid point.

Add another Lumetri effect, and in the Curves tab, use the Hue v Sat curve tool ... set control points to either side of the skin tone area, and pull the rest of the hues down ... make a fairly smooth curve but the cyan area should be way down from the middle. This will desaturate the non-skin colors. This is going to have to be "to taste" ... as to how much you desaturate which hues.

Next, Hue v Luma ... set control points either side of the skin tone area, and then lift the other hues. Again, keep a smooth curve. Cyan should be the highest area. What "we" are going for with this tool is to lower the visual contrast for the tones that we've also lowered the saturation for, by lightening them. Again, very much to visual taste.

Now use the Luma v Saturation curve, putting a control point about 2/3rds of the way to the right ... then pull down the far-right end of the line clear to the bottom, and use another control point to give that a gradually steepening shape left to right. Then make another control point about a quarter of the way in from the left, and pull the left end point down near to the bottom, again shaping the curve for smoothness. This will desaturate the shadows and highlights further.

Now ... go to the Creative tab and work with Vibrance (which will affect skin tones more than others) and maybe push that up while pulling Saturation down a bit, again ... all to visual taste. And work forth and back between the curves tools and Vib/Sat of this layer of Lumetri to get the best color vibe going.

Now ... go back through the lower two layers of Lumetri, the "Look" layers, using the controls tweaking things to get the best effect you can.

You should end up with something with fairly low saturation outside of skin tones, a fair amount of contrast in the mid tonalities, and nothing crushed in the blacks or clipped in the whites.

You can save a multiple-effect "stack" in the Effects Control Panel (ECP) as a preset ... and then apply the preset to a clip, it applies all the effects used with the settings as used. So ... in the ECP, select the three instances/layers of Lumetri, right-click, "Save as preset". Name and give a decent description.

After that, this preset will be in your Effects panel's Preset bin. You can drag/drop it onto a clip, selected group of clips, or adjustment layer over clips. Turn off (click the fx to the left of the layer name in the ECP) the two lower clips, and use the first (upper) clip to again neutralize the media.

Then turn on the middle layer and check tonality. Then turn on the last layer and check the color work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend the book 'Color Correction Handbook' by Alexis van Hurkman for information on using color grading tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are a must.

I have both: the handbook and the look book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sam and Ann are spot-on, Van Hurkman's Color Correction Handbook and accompanying Lookbook are easy to read and understand yet a thorough grounding in the craft. I've had both on my tablet for several years. And re-read sections routinely.

And anyone really wanting to learn color work should start there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines