• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Never leave CS6. CC pricing sucks, but this is even worse...

LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been discussed many times, the pricing of CC sucks and Europeans get ripped off by this Irish company with all its tax benefits.

But there is worse news. Encore has been scrapped. You can no longer deliver on BDR or DVD if you go to CC.

Adobe has single-handedly decided that Bluray and DVD are almost dead and the future is in delivering to iPhone or i-crap only. So they took away Encore altogether in CC. They have admitted they can withdraw any application from the Cloud when they like and you have to accept that. No recourse, no apologies, no refund, nothing. Take it or leave it.

For me that is EOS. I will continue using CS6 untill I find a good replacement, but CC is not at all interesting without delivery to BDR or DVD. In fact it is a complete turn-off.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic link from premiere to encore never was useful for me and i felt it easier to export premiere to m2v+ac3 and then use encore to build.... - But Premiere <-> AE dynamic link is great in the new CC, it seems much faster, and updates the project within premiere speedily so well done for any enhancements done on that.

Multicam has been causing me troubles past few days in CC, ive managed to work round them but i guess i should start up a new thread....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic linking from PPro to After Effects still works great for me in CS6! Why would I bother changing a winning formula just so I can get on the Cash Cow? Adobe Encore is a great authoring tool and coupled with the ease of dynamic linking to PPro was a fabulous feature. Never had one problem with it. Incidentally, I did download the trial version of CC the other day to see what it was all about...looked quite nice up to the point where I uninstalled it all last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we are so many that need Encore CC, why not asking Adobe to work on it ?

From what I understood CC is all about listening the customer and developping for the majority the tools they need. If Adobe can't provide a new version of Encore, at least they could develop a new tool to author DVD and BR, with new functionality and less bugs than there were in Encore.

What do you think ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tento wrote:

Since we are so many that need Encore CC, why not asking Adobe to work on it ?

And here's the place to do it:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goog suggestion mark__m, it's done. Here's what I wrote :

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

* Brief title for your desired feature:

Develop a CC version of Adobe Encore.

* How would you like the feature to work?

The dynamic link in Encore should work with the CC apps.

Encore CC should perform better than CS6, which was a great program with a few bugs and lacking some functionalty compared to more professionals authoring software. The option to export an authoring in CS6 to a website was great, why not develop it to do that in HTML 5, a sort of Encore Edge ?

* Why is this feature important to you?

Even though the DVDs and BRs will probably disapear one day, stores are still selling them, and my clients still ask for it. So we definitely need an updated tool that benefits the CC developement program.

Thanks.

Anybody feel free to do the same. As I understand the more feature request they receive, the more they are willing to work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copied your request and added the request for perpetual license and a better installer.

But to temper your expectations, I have made feature requests and bug reports since CS5 that still have not been fulfilled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant believe this.. bluray (and dvd) is a massive format im asked to provide media on, aswell as online delivery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, let's face it Dynamic Link from Premiere CS6 to Encore CS6 never worked correctly anyways so why enable with CC since it hasn't been updated. This just forces people to not have problems with Dynamic Link anymore, very clever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree that DL with Encore was a 'big button' solution best avoided, but there are still plenty of features Adobe could add to Encore that we'd really benefit from.  Seamless menus, BD-J, multiple angles, 3D, etc.  Not nearly enough of the country has access to sufficient bandwidth to deliver the same quality, and streaming rarely delivers any of the special features.  Physical media will be with us for at least the next decade, probably a lot longer if 4K ever becomes a $20/title reality.

Adobe really dropped the ball on this one waaaaaaaay too soon.

On the up side, DoStudio Authoring Indie Edition is on sale until July 31st.  Normally $3,000, it's now only $2,295.  It's hefty price tag, to be sure, but it is a fully functional BD authoring program and even includes the necessary AACS fees so you can send BDCMF formatted discs for replication.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dostudioindie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, what are these problems using DL from PPro CS6 to Encore? I have never had any trouble using this feature. I have just completed a run of 25 dvds using this method and have experienced no problems whatsoever. PPro - DL - Encore is such a useful feature for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are these problems using DL from PPro CS6 to Encore?

Projects going from HD to SD (downrezzing) seemed to have  problems with dynamic link. This may have improved from the earlier dynamic link versions, but the problems were reported often enough that many users did not use it and discouraged others using it. And when you are having a problem (of any type) in an Encore project and you are using dynamic link, avoiding it was the most likely fix.

The Automatic transcode option is an important point of using dynamic link, and you could not control some of the transcode options (e.g. scale to fill - that was essential for HD to SD).

In earlier versions, quality was better if you used your own export from Premiere, and many users found the best quality in third party export options. This improved in newer versions of Premiere/AME, but I don't think it convinced many users to go back to dynamic link. And for bluray projects, there continue to be too frequent reports of Encore overshooting the disk size. Dynamic link just continued to have a too high frustration factor.

The users who had the best success with dynamic link were using SD to SD.

Dynamic link should have been improved, not abandoned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, Stan. I have to state that my main material format is in SD. That is probably why I have never experienced any trouble with Encore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main problem I had with Dynamic Link and Encore was random single video frames popping up in various places on the finished DVD. Had I not watched the entire DVD closely I would have never caught it. This happened on several projects and once I stopped using Dynamic Link the random frames stopped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main problem I had with Dynamic Link and Encore was random single video frames popping up in various places on the finished DVD. Had I not watched the entire DVD closely I would have never caught it. This happened on several projects and once I stopped using Dynamic Link the random frames stopped.

I don't think anyone found a workaround or solution to this. There were a few other users affected by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stopped using DL when CS5(.5) was flipping the fields when going from HD to SD. Eventhough it was corrected in CS6 I never used DL again.

So I do not miss DL.

However I would have liked to see an Encore CC with some new features. Still make dvd's and blurays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe made a mistake not upgrading Encore. Perhaps their problem is that they think of it as an Extension to Premiere Pro instead of a standalone product. If they fixed the problems, there might even be people willing to pay $20 per month for a DVD creation tool, especially if they only paid for the month when they needed it. (Altough probably not.)

But the improvements would have had to be considerable for that. Even if the DL problems had been addressed and made to work with CC, that would have been enough to make it worthwhile. As a standalone product it would have caused people to want more than one app and got them thinking about what else they might need to make it worth $50 per month instead of $20 or $40.

Once again, just like the lack of an "exit strategy", Adobe is leaving money on the table that people would be happy to pay if they got what they wanted. Lack of foresight appears to be the hallmark of the Adobe Marketing department. Maybe subscriptions will work out for them, but there is even more money out there if they would just pay attention.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps their problem is that they think of it as an Extension to Premiere Pro instead of a standalone product. If they fixed the problems, there might even be people willing to pay $20 per month for a DVD creation tool, especially if they only paid for the month when they needed it.

The Adobe rationale for discontinuing development of a DVD authoring program is disengenuous. DVD/BD may be on the way out, but so is SD media - and they don't remove SD workflows from PR. Many long term customers rely on DVD and Bluray for bread and butter income - and they have been begging for important bug fixes and features enhancements still.

But arguments for them keeping it in order to make money can't take into account their costs. Ending Encore saves them a whole department of employees. Contrary to the commitment for all the rest of CS6, they explicitly plan no bug fixes or operating system updates for Encore CS6. And we do not know what they pay for the Sonic authorcore Encore is built on. Hmm, maybe they are dropping it becuase Sonic/Roxio/Rove (with the end to Scenarist) dropped them! I always assumed they couldn't do more development because the deal with Sonic was too good to renogiate. But I'll bet they are on a SUBSCRIPTION plan and pay every month. As they listened to users complaining about the Adobe move to subscription, they realized they'd rather have perpetual license! So a few months from now, they'll announce that, in response to customer requests, they are adding a new application, Encore Pro.

Bottom line, with Encore CS6, as second rate as it is, it authors well enough for folks to deliver product. Adobe saves dollars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, maybe they could just buy a company that has a decent program for DVD creation.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When letting Encore transcode, my final DVDs would have "glitchy" frames that would last for around 1 second.  Like it was an MPEG encoding error.  (Was not a problem with the source footage!)

They would appear randomly, and since I did not have time to proof every single second in each project, dynamic link to Encore was not an option.  Exporting to MPEG-2 DVD from Premiere resulted in no problems, and was much faster.

All of my material has been HD, originally HDV and now AVCHD. So Keano66, it must be a problem specific with HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cavemandude wrote:

Well, let's face it Dynamic Link from Premiere CS6 to Encore CS6 never worked correctly anyways so why enable with CC since it hasn't been updated. This just forces people to not have problems with Dynamic Link anymore, very clever.

Looking at my workflow...and you are correct.  Dynamic Linking and allowing Encore to do the rendering caused so many problems that I've always been simply rendering to MPEG-2 DVD formats right out of Premiere.

However, if others use Dynamic Link, then it's unfortunate for the feature to be taken away.

Encore CS6 works fine in Windows 8.  But what about when Windows 9 hits?  If it does work, Adobe will do nothing to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines