• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newby question: how to I create clips from footage?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to Adobe Premiere and just learning how it works.

I have about 4.5hrs of footage from 25 years ago that I'd like to edit into some kind of documentary.

It looks like the best way to go would be to watch it through, make note and categorise sections and then create clips that go into categorised bins.

Is that a good way to go? How do I take one long piece of video and create clips from it?

All of the tutorials that I've watched seem to start off with having a ton of clips in the first place.

Thanks,

Darren

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Subclip Workflows in Adobe Premiere Pro - YouTube

Please mark as right answer, if this answers your question

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are new to video editing Premiere Pro is not a smart choice to begin with: very steep learning curve.

Premiere Elements might be a better choice.

Elements has more automated features as in Premiere Pro everything is done manually.

Clips are made with in and out points set (one clip at a time) in the Source Monitor and the inserted into the timeline.

Might want to get yourself a subscription at www.lynda.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

If you are new to video editing Premiere Pro is not a smart choice to begin with: very steep learning curve.

Premiere Elements might be a better choice.

Elements has more automated features as in Premiere Pro everything is done manually.

Clips are made with in and out points set (one clip at a time) in the Source Monitor and the inserted into the timeline.

Might want to get yourself a subscription at www.lynda.com

I'm not new to video editing, I'm a musician/producer and have advanced knowledge/skill with audio DAW's. I have in the past put together maybe 20 or so videos using iMovie and Final Cut.

I've familiarised myself with Premiere and I'm happy about using it - I'm just really interested to know how to go about creating a collection of clips from one long file of footage so I can then edit into sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dazzathedrummer  wrote

I'm not new to video editing,

Sorry if I offended you but your initial question did not sound like it. Hence the answer I gave you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think DVD is usually 720 x 480. There is a VOB (at least one with footage on it ) on the disc. A recent poster here got good advice about putting the VOB directly into PPro  (into timeline or source monitor to make sub clips, however you want to start cutting )

mediainfo program (free from sourceforge dot net ? ) can tell you maybe what you got on the DVD after you put that VOB onto your hard drive. Don't know if it works with VOB.

Anyway, I would put your bins together more like this :

SONG 1 (BIN)

SONG 2 (BIN)

THEN, under each of those bins put bins under them, Namely, stuff like DRUMS, LEAD GUITAR, BASS, VOCAL, MIXING BOARD, etc.

That way you can SHRINK ( COLLAPSE ) EACH main bin and work on one song at a time sorta. Otherwise you'll be scrolling down a real long list of bins and that gets old pretty fast.

You may also wind up with bins like GRAPHICS, WAV FILES, TITLES, etc.  So the more you can collapse stuff the easier it is to see the bins you are currently working on.

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing....

Whether it's the VOB or your Handbrake stuff ( H264 ?), That stuff is highly compressed and taxes the computer heavily. It has to work hard to deal with that type stuff. It is NOT, as a rule, ideal for editing, but is good for VIEWING in a player (super compressed ).

So at some point maybe decide on some other transcode if you have to (see how your computer handles it but take risk that you may have to start over at some future date cause your computer can't handle the load as you add more and more stuff to timelines)

AND, ( hehe, I'm full of great advice ! ) I suggest making a different sequence for each song rough cut you begin. You'll probably need to render ( I don't mean export but I mean turn a red or yellow line to a green one, if you know what I mean ? ) as you do stuff and the shorter that is, the faster it will get done. In old days I think you could turn off the video track of sequences not being worked on so that only the sequence currently being worked on is putting strain on your computer ??  Maybe someone else can say how this works with new PPro cause I have old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rodneyb56060189  wrote

Another thing....

Thanks - very useful information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

dazzathedrummer   wrote

I'm not new to video editing,

Sorry if I offended you but your initial question did not sound like it. Hence the answer I gave you.

No Problem at all - I should probably have included more background information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is your footage ? Is it on DVD or what ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rodneyb56060189  wrote

what is your footage ? Is it on DVD or what ?

I've got a DVD that contains video camera footage from 1993 - I think it was converted to DVD in the 2000's.

I've used Handbrake to rip it to a H.264 759x574 m4v ...I've got no idea if this is the correct format to use??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GermanTV  wrote

I think this answers my question.

I want to bring in my 4hr file as a clip and then create subclips that I can drop into bins - the video is of my bands first ever recording session, so I want to create bins/clips for, say; Song1BassGuitar, Song1Drums, DownTime etc.

'Subclips' looks like it will do just that!

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines