• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No types of video importing to project media

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I've been pulling my hair out over this issue for literaly over a year now, and have just been resorting to using alternitive visual editing software. My issue is that when I import media into Premiere Pro, it will only import the audio into my project media. I have tried any type of media file I could think of, along with files from every source I can get it from, but it seems that absolutely no media wants to import both visuals and audio. I can import still images, but when importing videos, only the audio gets imported. The issue started while I was scanning through settings in work, getting familliar with Premiere Pro 2018, as I had been using 2015 for the longest time, during both college, and then work. I do remember clicking something that caused all of my visual media to go offline, and since then it wouldn't allow me to add any visuals, invluding media files which i had already imported both visuals and audio to. I've tried everything I've found online but to no avail. With a new employee taking over the Mac in work, I can no longer settle with Final Cut Pro X, and will need to figure out my issue with Premiere Pro on my Windows 10. 

I have tried everything i've found, some things i can remember trying are:

-Changing the renderer in Project settings

-Clearing Cache

-Clearing and remaking the Common Folder

-Making sure visual tracks are selected (even though my problem begins with importing the visuals to the project, not the timeline)

-Changing settings in my Registry

-Reinstalling Premiere Pro

-Using older versions of Premiere Pro

-Using fully finished project folders from other PCs

-Converting media to different file types

-Using different file types/sources

-Renaming the root folder of the media/project

-Moving project foolders and media all over my PC and harddrives

I've scanned through every video, tutorial and fourm post I've been able to find, and so far nothing seems to be able to solve my issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also:

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If the file is variable frame rate, which although Adobe says it will support, many users are having issues with VFR.

Use Hand brake to convert to constant frame rate:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Here is a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly I have found no joy in either of these solutions. I've just used CC Cleaner and did a completely fresh install of Premiere Pro and Creative Cloud on my machine and the problem still appears to persist, So at this stage I'm genuinely clueless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Definitely sounds like a weird thing!

Not to throw more links at you. You said you reinstalled and tried different versions, but it may be worth trying this CC cleaner tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

While it sounds like you've tried lots of media already and so it doesn't sound like it would be the issue, but I'm sure the gut reaction for a lot of us would be to make sure the video codec you're trying to work with is supported. (There was the Media Info link already posted.) The reason being is that sounds like what typically happens when someone imports an unsupported video codec. Maybe somehow - and I don't know how - files surrounding your codec support were deleted? The reinstall after CC cleaner would hopefully address that -- barring some greater issue with your machine (A full reformat is always an option, albiet obviously not something you want to do unless you absolutely need to.)

When you import the media to the project, if you open it in the source monitor (not put it in the timeline), does it have video? Or even in the Project Panel does it only read as an audio file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuneatly I found no joy with the CC Cleaner. When I import media it only has audio in the project panel. I cannot view anything other than audio in the source monitor, essentially turning my premiere pro into a simplified Audition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. I was going to double check the source patching thing but if you can't even get video in the source monitor then it's not that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

185SB,

Sorry about this. After reading through the threads, I believe your problem is that you are not patched in the Timeline, a very common mistake. Make sure source audio and video is patched in the Timeline before dragging or editing the clip to the Timeline. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-why-does-audio-or-video-not-go-to-the-track-where-i-...

FWIW, I even forget to do this sometimes. Whenever audio or video won't drag into the Timeline, I immediately look down at the Timeline to make sure my source patching is set up correctly. Then, I smack my forehead and tell myself, "dude, you have been editing for 25 years on NLE. Stop making this mistake!"

My opinion is that you, as someone who is not aware of source patching, and me - a salty ol' pro who teaches others about source patching, should really not have to face this issue. Patching should be a no brainer in the product, but its "automatic" process sometimes can fail you. I'll file a bug on your behalf.

Let me know if this is actually is the issue and if this advice helped you. I apologize for all the frustration. NLEs can be so finicky sometimes. Sorry.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately my issue does not seem to be so simple. I've been using premiere pro with no issues all throughout when I was in uni, and now into my working life, and in the 5 years of using it daily, I never came across any issues like this, that's why I'm truely baffled about it. It's when I'm importing the media into my project that the issue happens, I can't import video into my project folder at all, I get no where near close enough to use the timeline. I'm starting to believe that the issue is not one to do with Adobe, but more so my own machine, but I don't have any such issues in my other editing softwares, so I'm clueless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have a codec pack installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines