• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Premiere Pro today -- all my workspaces and custom keyboard shortcuts are GONE

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Premiere Pro today -- all my workspaces and custom keyboard shortcuts are GONE; GONE!

Everything is just randomly reset, and I even see this horseshit "watch our tutorials" panal on the left side. EXCUSE ME????????????? Watch your tutorials? WHY THE F*** WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT RIGHT NOW? HOW ABOUT DON'T DELETE MY SHORTCUTS? IS THERE A TUTORAL ON MAKING ADOBE NOT DELETE MY SHORTCUTS?????????????????

What is this? WTF? 

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you saying that under Window > Workspace, there are none of your workspaces?

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% Everything is gone! No workspaces, no shortcuts, had to reset my default transition lengths, as if the program was clean installed... took about 45 minutes that I could have been editing just resetting EVERYTHING! 

Everyone out there reading this... BACKUP YOUR KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS AND WORKSPACES!!!!!!!! Save the files in a location incase you need them... Adobe DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has done this to me many times without any rhyme or reason. The program just felt like deleting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you synched your workspaces and keyboard shortcuts to your Creative Cloud Account in the past? If so maybe try going to the Creative Cloud Icon in the Project Panel and try re-syncing to get them back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to roll back to a previously working version. if it does not work:

tick off automatic updates on your creative cloud app.

you can always keep your old premiere pro version and get the new one to test.

try to check if you still have your shortcuts saved inside the shortcuts folder 

where your premiere pro is installed, I hope you still have previous version folders somewhere,

you might also find the old workspace in editing modes or something, if you still have the older

version folders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carlos is on the right track.  save a custom keyboard shortcut for example and if you do a OS search for the name you'll find a file with a .kys extension.  You can then search for other files with the .kys extension and you should find other files in nearby folders for other settings files and usually you'll be able to move them to the same location but in the subfolders under the newer version of premiere.  If that's not clear, post back and I'll do some screen grabs to illustrate how to make this work for you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I know it's easy to blame Adobe, but these issues are sometimes caused by operator error or an issue with the hardware or operating system...  but yes, sometimes it is a bug in the software.   

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card. 

And by any chance are you running out of drive space on your startup drive?  You should keep a minimum of 20% free space on your startup drive (and 10% on all other drives).  Many apps generate hidden files and if you're not paying attention your drive can get full and have issues... including file corruption.   The OS should warn you when this about to happen, but it usually doesn't... 

And please post back if you solve your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEAH... NO! It is 100% Adobe's fault; this is a clean install as of just a few days ago, so for one there is no previous version to roll back to, and two there was no update... just Adobe doing what it does best, f***ing over its users. I've never had to save my keyboard shortcuts and workspaces as seperate files EVER in 18 years of being an editor, now I have to.... great... adobe cannot go out of business soon enough

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it was a clean install how do you expect your settings to be maintained?  Or are you saying that you setup all your preferences in the last few days... and then they disappeared?    If you just want to vent, feel free.  If you want to see what went wrong whether it was operator error, bad programming on adobe's fault or something else,  post back...    you might start by doing a system wide search for .kys files and see if perhaps your keyboard settings still exist...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro User Guide > Sync Settings in Premiere Pro

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/sync-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but that requires anticipating the issue.    It really doesn't take that long to rebuild your custom settings... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it doesn't take too long to rebuild custom settings; however, having a backup of your boot drive, your application preferences and settings, your project files, and your source footage is key to minimizing down time for not if but when there's a harware issue.

Anyone who's reading this post who hasn't taken the time to sync their Adobe application settings to their Adobe Creatove Cloud account in Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrstor (and anything else they use) should do it right now.  And if there's no backup and recovery in place for their workstation, do that next.  And if there's no backup of project files and source media - maybe stop everything and do that next.

And it's never been easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great post Warren, however I gotta say I've never had much success with synching my settings.  Besides editing, I also provide support for a number of clients with Premiere and I prefer us to all have the same keyboard settings.  I will try and do a synch to my settings and it usually doesn't work.  So I manually copy my .kys file to the desired location on the clients machines.   I could spend a couple of hours trying to troubleshoot this issue, but just much faster to just copy the file...  and workspaces are easy to set up once you've got over the hump figuring it out how it works and it's a useful skill to teach my clients...     and I find that how you setup your workspaces is dependant on your monitor configuration so someone on an imac without a second monitor is gonna want to set it up differently than someone with a macbookpro who's dependant on having at least one additional monitor...

Warren, (or anyone else with the necessary chops) Can you recommend a cloning software for windows?  On the mac, carbon copy cloner is my go to solution, but a do have a windows machine and have fooled around with a couple of cloning options without any success...    

And just gotta say this outloud (again).  This forum is an incredible resource and just checking out all the posts every few days makes me a better editor...   thanks to everyone who participates from the experts (you know who you are) to those who post questions and and let us know what helps and doesn't help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This brings up an interesting question... I feel like my setting never sync correctly. I follow those steps, but especially the keyboard settings never sync correctly. I don't change a lot of settings, the biggest one I change is moving the Ctl-K function just to the C key, I've never been a fan of the razor tool. So it is a quick and easy test to see if it syncs correctly, and it rarely does. In a perfect world I could sync it across all of the edit bays we have in the news department in the TV station I work at. (We never know where we're going to end up in the 10 bays set up)I have sent my settings to the cloud from my laptop (it says successfully) but then when I try to get them from the cloud onto one of the desktop machines in the studio it never seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So manually install it on each machine. Very easy. Post back if you
need any help with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is an option, but lets face it, if Adobe is going to tout "super-easy cloud syncing of all your workspaces a preferences" it would be nice if it actually worked. It hasn't for so many versions of Premiere I've honestly almost stopped trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sync is per Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have one ID, it is tied into my work logon, so that isn't the issue. The only thing I can think of it the account is an enterprise-level account, so I don't know if something with that screws up the syncing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

None of this was the issue... the install was clean as of a week before my settings were gone, one day they were gone causing me copy the shortcut and workspace files and keeping them in a safe location in case this ever happens again; I've never ever seen this before... utterly stupid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines