Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback Delay Unsolved by Typical Fixes

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Today I started experiencing a problem with playback. It takes roughly 10s for my timeline to play after hitting the space bar or play button. This seems to happen any time I have to click out of my timeline and back into it. 

I will post my hardware and footage specs below, however I would like to note that nothing about my workflow has changed, and I've been working with this exact footage and setup for over a year. I've also been working on this specific projec for about a week, and have had no issues prior to today.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8-Core 3.60hz

64g RAM

Radeon RX580

420g of free space on (solid state) drive that Adobe is installed on

Sony 4k All-I 4:2:2 10-bit 23.98fps shot in S-Log3

Footage is being edited from an external solid state drive

I've already tried:

restarting Adobe

restarting PC

deleting media cache

toggling off hardware accelerated media decoding

Turning on media preview

Any other suggestions are welcome. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to list out some possible solutions. I went through each and had no luck. My graphics card drivers were actually way out of date, so I tried installing multiple versions, including ones previous to my current, the latest, and one inbetween and with no luck. 

Maybe my machine is just getting old and tired lol. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to tell you this, but all-AMD (both CPU and GPU) systems are very poor choices for editing any 10-bit and/or 4:2:2 long-GOP video formats. You see, your system has absolutely no hardware decoding whatsoever of this material, and pre-RDNA GPUs are strictly restricted to 8-bit 4:2:0 footage for hardware decoding (in fact, AMD chose not to support hardware decoding of anything but 4:2:0 content in the first place). That forces your CPU to handle all decoding–and your CPU is now almost seven years old at this point, which means that its performance will fall short of newer CPUs at a lower price point than what you originally paid for that first-gen Ryzen CPU.

And that is not to mention that all pre-RDNA AMD GPUs such as your RX 580 perform very poorly at rendering in Premiere Pro compared to even an NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB card, let alone most newer GPUs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that doesn't really explain why I've never had a problem until today. I've literally been ediing 10-bit 4:2:2 footage on this machine since the A7SIII was released in October of 2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next thing to check:

Has any of your software (Windows, Adobe programs) auto-updated? You see, often times updated versions of the software have higher recommended hardware requirements than older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found any solution?  this just started happening to me and theres no way its my hardware... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not exactly. I spent about 7 hours on Adobe tech support they tried literally everything. I was able however to identify when it's happening. It only begins to occur when my project files get too large. The project file I first noticed it on was roughly 88mb. It had a ton of media loaded into the project from footage to audio, tons of transcriptions, etc...

However, if I created a new project, and loaded in one sequence at a time, it wasn't a problem until I'd have maybe 5-6 sequences from the problematic project loaded in to the new project. So every time it would occur, I would just start a new project, and pick up from the last sequence I was editing.

Kind of a lame work around, but a workaround none the less. 

Just out of curiousity, what are your machine's specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines