Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback Issues on Premiere Pro CC 2015

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently having major playback issues on Premiere Pro, as in it's not playing back at all. This was working perfectly on the previous version.

I have tried re-installing it, and I have done the Mercury Playback Setting change that I found else where in the forums but I am still having issues, can any one shed a light on this please?

Thanks,

Lewis.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Hello VGA Grayster,

I am currently having major playback issues on Premiere Pro, as in it's not playing back at all. This was working perfectly on the previous version.

EDIT: Please install the Premiere Pro CC 2015 (9.0.1) update. It fixes most playback issues covered in this thread.

If the update does not solve the playback issue you were having on a current project, try a new project and see if playback returns to normal. For any other issues with the update, please create a new pos

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 263 Replies 263
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier Pro CC 2015 9.0.1

Sequence settings

Editing mode Sony XDCAM EX 1080p (HQ)

Timebase 25,00 frames/second

Squere pixels

audio:

48000hz

Video previews:

Preview file format I-Frame Only MPEG

Codec: MPEGI-Frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the Preview settings from IFrame Only MPEG to something else.  You will have to re-render but since mine being changed from IFrame Only MPEG to Apple Pro Res and re-rendered in the timeline it seems to playback smoother than before.  You may have to change the Sequence settings to Custom.  Are you getting any flickering in the timeline as well with the thumbnails on the clips?  I'm using a MAC and he stated my Video card has been reported to have some playback problems until they have it updated.  kubrick14

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I hear ya'.  Another thing Avid does that Adobe doesn't (unless it's hidden away somewhere not obvious) is publish a list of known bugs with each software release.

Adobe publishes this for Ae, but a search substituting "Premiere Pro" for "After Effects" yielded no results, other than on forums, both Adobe and third party:

known issues in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

It would be helpful if links like this were brought to our attention in the CC installer app, so that we could make an informed judgement as to whether to risk starting new projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having playback problems too.

PPro will not play if AE is open at the same time.  This seems to have cropped up with the latest upgrade.  Prior to that I was able to jump back and forth without a problem.  I've tried all the advice Kevin has been giving you to no avail.  Is it possible to roll back to an earlier version?  Boris Graffiti doesn't seem to work with this release either.

I'm working on a new MacPro with 16 gigs

Yosemite

and the latest versions of PPro and AE

I feel your pain

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can restore 2014 through the CC Cloud app. Look for the tab that says

³previous version² and you should find the download tab or ³Find Additonal

Apps² for the past couple of versions. I reverted back to 20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad I did this. 2014 is wonderfully solid.

I forgot how good things were until I saw the exciting emails about cool new 2015 features. I usually know better than to download the new version and expect it to work. What a mistake that was. Never again.

If you have projects to do,  go back to 2014.

If you have time to kill fiddling around, keep using 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Playhead just stops responding. Spacebar does nothing. Play button engages but the timeline doesn't play. This occurs throughout the whole project and isn't just relegated to one sequence.  ALL sequences will not respond.  I also experience random weird audio pops during playback (when playback used to be possible).

2011 17" Macbook Pro - 2.3GHZ i7 - 16 GB of RAM - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 512 GB SSD - OS 10.10.2

Same thing occurs on TWO machines.

2011 27" iMac - 3.4GHZ i7 - 32 GB of RAM -  256 SSD - AMD Radeon HD 6970 - OS 10.10.3

I am editing using ONLY Apple Pro Res LT files (2k and 4k). I have no mixed media in the project aside from two different music files (mp3 and aif). I am editing multicam clips with two cameras in a 1080 master sequence. My master sequence runs about 10 minutes long. I have to playback at 1/4 resolution to be able to edit. My project and media files are all on an external drive.  My system drive has 100 GB of free space. I have no other programs running during editing. Project was working fine but as the sequence became fuller things started to go downhill.  Audio pops (which send the meters into the red) have occurred since the beginning. I have just tried to ignore them though they are obnoxious and dangerous (if I were wearing headphones).

These issues are completely maddening and mark strike 2 for Adobe.  I'm one step away from switching to Avid. I'm in the middle of editing a huge documentary on the Lower 9th Ward for the 10th Anniversary of Katrina. My deadline is Wednesday and I can't finish this project now thanks to Premiere CC 2015.  This program worked for about two weeks then just up and died on me. Now I can't do ANYTHING with my project.

I feel like Adobe's new CC business model is to rush out a new version every year on the dot, whether it woks or not.  Now we're stuck with unstable and buggy software because Adobe pushes their developers to add more and more features under insane deadlines instead of focusing on making a highly reliable product.  Premiere CC 2015 is bloated, hastily put together and unreliable. UNSTABLE SOFTWARE will NOT LAST in the professional world and when I upgrade my editing suites in the fall, I'm not so sure I'll be putting Adobe Premiere on them.  First Apple blew it and now it's starting to look like Adobe is walking the same plank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update just for Adobe's records:

I deleted all audio filters from all audio clips within my multicam sequences as well as any in my regular sequences.  I only had about 3 total.  One of those was the DeNoiser.  After that was deleted and my sequences were rendered again I suddenly regained the ability to playback my master sequence. However, the terrible, loud audio pops still remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this issue by rendering the audio in my multicam timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robot Fist,
Did you install last week's update? You're describing issues that should be fixed.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to CC 2015 July.

-Still experiencing laggy playback, program monitor goes black or does not update for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time.

-Working in the Color Workspace is almost impossible, changes to color settings do not update on program monitor in real time.

-Scrubbing in timeline usually freezes program monitor for 30-60 seconds at a time, same with quick JKL moves and switching in and out of fullscreen.

Going to test starting a new project and seeing if these same problems exist.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
OSX Yosemite (10.10.4)
3.5 6 Core

16gb Ram

AMD D700

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imported another CC14 project into CC15, editing red footage, playback works great until I add a Lumetri Color effect with "creative LUT" to an adjustment layer across the top of a 2 minute edit.

Instantly program monitor does not update (black screen), playback lags.... so then I undo adjustment layer and Lumetri Color effect and life is good again.

I did not open the "Color" Workspace, just made changes in the Effect Controls Panel, Lumetri Scopes were not open either.

Going to try sending to Speedgrade for Color work.... I'll report back.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
OSX Yosemite (10.10.4)
3.5 6 Core

16gb Ram

AMD D700

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few days working with the latest PP2015 july-edition, the summary of my playback problems is this:

- Videos "lagging" in Source Monitor (but not as soon as they are put down to timeline!)

- Program monitor turns "off" (no video at all) after working for a while, sometimes 10 minutes after restart, sometimes as long as an hour or two, needs program restart to work

- System freezes on scrubbing (this worked fine for me in the first 2015 edition)

- The problem is minor on files with less compression. RED and C300 files works a lot better than AVCHD or .mov from GoPros or the new Inspire-drone. (Inspire files does not play at all, impossible to work with)

System: iMac 2014 with Yousemite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playback freezes for an always different amount of time after grabbing the handles and making an adjustment to the length of any clip, audio or video.  Tried opening as FCP file and worked fine but lost all effects and not reading files imported from after effects properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've started working a company that is editing a TV show on Premiere Pro 2015 (9.0.1). Im used to working with Avid to edit TV programs so I insisted on transcoding everything to DNxHD 36 as it is going to be a big project and I dont believe the hype about Premiere editing everything raw without problems creeping in.

We are three weeks into the offline all 3 editors on brand new built Windows PC with the same specs are have major playback problems such as stuttering and audio cutting out at random places. The program does not even register there is a problem with dropped frames. There is no colour grading and the only effects being used is in the motion tab to re-frame and the horizontal flip plugin.

I've been heavily reading the forums and try workarounds such as...

• Switching video payback to software only
  • Rendering audio
  • Switching memory to performance and vice versa
  • Moved media cache from network to local drives
  • Moved media from network to local drives
  • Reinstall Premiere Pro

What we haven't done is reinstall Windows as we dont have time for that and it doesnt sound like its a magic bullet anyway.

I'm pushing to move to Avid but there isn't the budget or time to use both and other departments are using creative cloud apps were stuck using Adobe.

The project was started on 2015, would moving to 2014 fix most of our problems? Or is there anything we havent tried yet?

Were are behind and cant afford to waste anymore trying workarounds just so we can do an offline edit.

Thanks, andy

Three PC with Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Intel i7 3.50GHz

32GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is the problem, but I'll ask anyway, just to make sure; are you running off of fast (7900RPM or more, or SSDs) internal drives? I've seen people try to run off of old USB laptop drives, or mistakenly throw WD Green drives into their custom-built rigs to save a few bucks.

I think you should absolutely install CC2014 or CC, export XMLs of your existing projects, and continue working from an older version of Pr. It won't take long to install, and since your edits are so basic, the XML should transfer everything over quite nicely (can someone confirm that the Horizontal Flip is supported by XML?). If you still have issues with playback on Premiere 8.0.1 (my personal favourite) or 8.2, then I'd start looking into hardware as the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working off a network with very fast network cards connected to each edit bay, The network is also brand new and was built for dealing with media and editing.

Locally we have 512GB SSD for bootup/apps and another 256GB for which we use for renders, cache, other stuff, etc. Using both had the same problems so im pretty sure the speed of the drives is not the problem as we are working with low res media which I could edit from a thumb drive.

I also think 2014 might be the way to go but I wont be able to try till the end of play Friday as the edit producer is stressing out and I dont want him to see anything else go wrong. I guess we are all wishing to read if there is a 1 second fix hiding in the menus that will fix this immediately and calm everyone down so we can do our jobs. I awkward thing is im charging the production to use my creative cloud account and seeing it fall apart like this very embarrassing. Luckily they can see its not my fault.

I report back when i've moved the project to PP2014 and let you know if I run into any problems. Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*waits for Adobe to blame all of your problems on your network*

DKJhx9l.gif

We've had several major problems with Premiere over the years. It seems like every time I call tech support, the first thing they tell us is that we should not be editing off of network drives. Latest update borked playback? Move your footage off of the network. Clips not spanning properly after an update? Sorry, we don't recommend you edit off of the network. (for the record, we've been editing footage off of a network for years...)

Good luck with the older versions! Let us know how things work out tomorrow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow on from my previous post...We finally exported an XML from PP2015 to PP2014 and all went well minus a few missing effects and some of the time remapping. As they were assemble edits the sequences are pretty basic so I wouldn't want to say if a more complex edit would translate over as smoothly.

I agree with the previous statements about some form of compensation as we've all been charged to act as beta testers. They should of released PP2015 the same way DaVinci Resolve 12 has and add the word 'Beta' after it. I'm sure pro users would of definitely not started new projects if they knew it was a beta release. I think most of the anger comes from the fact that paying users were not informed that what they were using was technically beta software and professional users we conned into starting projects on it. 

They should release a warning to users before updating to PP2015 and point them to these forums.

Rant over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with this

--

Brian Nunes

Worldtree Films, LLC

www.worldtreefilms.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i've suffered with the same play back problems for a month. Finally, I contacted Adobe customer service and explain to them the situation. They gave me a month free of CC. I explainEd to them that I hope they get this problem fixed before the next month is up. Here's hoping! Because Pr 2014 still works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ericmo wrote:

i've suffered with the same play back problems for a month. Finally, I contacted Adobe customer service and explain to them the situation. They gave me a month free of CC. I explainEd to them that I hope they get this problem fixed before the next month is up. Here's hoping! Because Pr 2014 still works like a charm!

Do you care to elaborate on the method(s) used to get in touch with Adobe customer service that actually worked? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i just called (800) 833-6687 and talk to the first agent that answer. and I just told that person what was happening and that what I wanted was a refund. Simple as that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same problems.  I upgraded from PP CS6 to CC 2015.  I was forced to upgrade because of 4K footage (3840 x 2160) from a Sony FDR ax100E camera.  Multiple use of new seqence from clip gives  different settings: custom, red cinema, others.  Some settings are blocked.  I have a year subscription an after 30 days I was not able to playback even 1 clip imported.

I hasitate downgrading to CC2014.  Is this compatible with my subscription?  And will this playback 4K?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC2015 is, by all reports, still too broken to bother using, almost 4 months after launch. Last I'd checked, they were still refusing to give a timeline for a new bug-fix release, but were hinting that it might be "in several months, possibly this fall". Given Adobe's track record, I've found that the safest bet is to hold off on updating for at least 6-7 months; we didn't make the leap to CC2014 until a month or two before the launch of '15.

We're mostly Canon MXF and .r3d-based, but have used XAVC footage in the past. IIRC, it seemed to work just fine in CC2014. I think CC2014 should deal with both XAVC S and XAVC I natively, so downgrading to CC2014 will probably be your best bet.

Sayonara, CC2015! Call me when you actually work properly!

****Edit:
Mind you, Premiere is totally not backwards-compatible, so, unfortunately you'll likely have to export your existing projects as XMLs, re-import them into CC2014 and rebuild whatever gets broken in the translation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines