Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

playback lag whenever source monitor is open

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and might have a solution.

Ive been using premiere 15.4.1 for years perfectly fine. My laptop is a macbook pro from 2017 with 8GB of RAM and 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 so I know im underspecced but all was fine before. I work from a fast external SSD through thunderbolt and have a seperate SSD through thunderbolt for premiere's cache files.

My OS was big sur. The footage is a mixture of 4k and HD XFAVC from C200. All of this is proxied into prores LT 1080 at 25fps.

Recently the playback in the timeline has become so glitchy and laggy that it's almost unusable, both while playing back and trying to scrub in the timeline. I have resorted to 1080 proxies and am even playing everything back in 1/4 quality. I've tried all of the usual fixes, binned the cache many times, binned the preferences. Upgraded the OS to monterey and even upgraded premiere to the latest 22 version. Same problem. I've tried countless set-ups, multiple monitors. With a dock without a dock and even just single screen on the laptop with footage on the internal hard drive.

Here's the strangest thing, I've traced it down to the actual workspace within premiere. If I have the source monitor displaying, even just a paused frame from any footage in any bin the playback is terrible. Simply clicking on the effect control tab or any other tab so that the source monitor isn't showing, instantly fixes the problem. Playback in the timeline is super smooth with no lagging. Show the source monitor again and the whole thing becomes a mess. Source footage plays back fine in the source monitor by the way, its just having the window visible in any way destroys playback in the programme window. The laptop can drive multiple monitors without any problem but having two windows open at the same time within the default workspace in premiere is causing havoc.

I've never experienced this and can't figure out whats causing it, any ideas?

I can't find any mention of it online.

thanks Paul

TOPICS
Editing , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue with the Source footage, if anyone has an answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@frankw23052865post your hardware specs and what version of Ppro you're running.

I had this problem too, but with audio waveforms being displayed in the source monitor. The problem resolved the more I shrunk the source window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you pin down how your setup might have changed when this started occurring? OS update, any new hardware attached?

Have you been trying Premiere with the same project file and footage? Does this happen all the time regardless of what footage you're editing with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Benwinter.

Good advice. I can't recall anything but I'll retrace my steps and see if something comes up. I've tried all the hardware and software permetations I can think of to no avail.

I was wondering if some custom workspace glitch is carrying through into the updated premiere. Is there a way to update premiere and get it to clear every single preference? I've tried the usual keyboard shortcut on start up and agreeing to delete all prefs but maybe some errant setting is slipping through.

When this job is finished I'll likely strip the laptop back to scratch and re-install everything as if brand new and see if that works. Ah the joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner, which will wipe all evidence of CC from your system, and start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines