• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PP2019 Freezing, Slow, Unworkable on top-of-line clean computer

Participant ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a Dell XPS 7590 - their top-of line laptop.

8-Core, i9 CPU, 32gb RAM, GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5.  I just acquired it for paternity leave, and it's clean.  I am editing off of an NVMe SSD attached with a USB 3.1 interface, that gets ~900 MBps read and write speed.  All drivers are updated.

Premiere on this computer goes slower, is laggier, and crashes WAY more often than my 4-year old i7, GTX 980 Desktop System.

I particularly have trouble when relinking, when changing workspaces, or when toggling back to Premiere from ANY other app.  I have lesser but still noticeable lag when doing things like opening a new timeline.  Actual playback is very smooth.

3-10 minute hangs when trying to open a folder for a re-link.  5+ minute hangs on workspace selection, and 30+ seconds to become responsive upon toggling.

This happens regardless of media type, and on both new, fresh projects as well as established, 5-10mb projects.

I am at my wit's end.  I need this software to work.

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

THIS WAS FIXED.

I chatted with an Adobe tech twice.  Both times I had to insist - INSIST that my computer was not the problem.  Got them to remote in to my computer, which I re-built from the GROUND UP to prove machine was not a problem, even replaced HD and had to run a disk speed check in fromt of them to prove it wasn't disk speed.

THEN, I opened the exact same project in a remote viewer on my 4-year old desktop and showed these operations being completed in milliseconds, and my computer hang

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what type of video are you editing with?

have you tested your computer with passmark software to see if it has heat issues? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This occurs with any type of video (XVAC or ProRest or DNxHR).

I have not benched with passmark, but given AE works just fine, and once I get into premiere, PLAYBACK and EXPORT are fine for hours, I don't think it's a heat issue.  Something else is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it sounds like either a RAM resource issue or driver issue. does it change in any way if you switch to sotftware render only? or pull footage directly off a different drive that isn't external?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue happens, taking ~1-2 minutes to re-draw workspace - even when there is no footage imported into a clean project, so it's not an issue with the drive (although, as I said, drive is blazing fast and I only use ~4-5% when playing back).

I don't know what a RAM resource issue necessarily is, but I can tell you when these lags happen, there is no jump in my RAM utilization, and it stays consistent at about 18gb / 32gb.   I only reserve 4gb of ram for other applications, so I don't think it's reaching the limit on ram allocated to CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try switching to software render. see if that changes the UI drawing speed. you may have a driver issues with the graphics card. I vaguely remembering XPS 15's having a fatal design flaw in the drawing speed so I always told people not to buy them. It has something to do with 4k drawing, but 1080 was fine. But I thought they fixed it by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching to software render did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try switching to 1080p resolution on the operating system as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple tips: 

Disable Windows Quick Access

Run SFC /scannow and DISM fixall

Check the Windows Event Viewer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS WAS FIXED.

I chatted with an Adobe tech twice.  Both times I had to insist - INSIST that my computer was not the problem.  Got them to remote in to my computer, which I re-built from the GROUND UP to prove machine was not a problem, even replaced HD and had to run a disk speed check in fromt of them to prove it wasn't disk speed.

THEN, I opened the exact same project in a remote viewer on my 4-year old desktop and showed these operations being completed in milliseconds, and my computer hanging for 5+ minutes.

FINALLY was escalated to phone support.  Still no solution.

THEN THE 2ND PHONE GUY FIXED IT ON A CALLBACK.

Reset prefs (duh, we've all done this).  BUT THEN - before opening the project, he had me deselect "import workspace from project" under Window > Workspace > Import Workspace From Projects.

This fixed it.  Premiere now runs beautifully.

My workspace was corrupted!  I have used Pr since v5.5 and have NEVER seen this before - but apparently it's a thing!  And for some reason, the workspace was slowing down only one of my computers, but not both.  Very strange.  But I'm SO GLAD that it was fixed.  Posting here for posterity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines