• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Pro 2020 (After Effects, Media Encoder, Audition) Issues with macOS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purchased the new Macbook Pro 16" (2019) (max specs) and did a clean install of Abode CC 2020 on it. (The Macbook Pro 16" has macOS Catalina 10.15.2 installed on it).

After installation, everything ran smoothly. However, after the Macbook was switched on for a while, when I tried to open Premier Pro 2020, it takes very long to load at the splash screen, before eventually loading and having the error "Premiere Pro could not find any capable video play modules. Please update your video display drivers and start again." Upon thinking that this is an only Premier Pro issue, I decided to check the community forums and tried all the following methods listed below:

None have worked and I've reformatted the Macbook Pro 16", did a clean install of only Adobe CC without any other apps installed and frustratingly faced this exact same problem with Premier Pro 2020 with each and everyt try. It will load fine upon the first few tries, but having the same error after the laptop has been switched on for a while. This is when I noticed the the same issue with accompanying apps After Effects 2020, Media Encoder 2020 and Audition 2020. Similar, they will all load fine when the computer starts up. However, upon quitting the apps and re-opening them, they will each take very long to load (butterfly wheel appears); for After Effects, while the app eventually opens and project files are able to load, the software detects no GPU even though GPUsniffer detects one. Project files in After Effects 2020 do not render any graphics in the screen at all.

However, upon reading some of the suggestions from others in the community, I went ahead to downgrade to Premier Pro CC 2019 (v 13.1.5), After Effects CC 2019 (v 16.1.3), Media Encoder (v 13.1.5) and Audition CC 2019 (v 12.1.5). They all load fine without any issues on the Macbook Pro 16" (current working state).

Thinking that it could be an issue with the way I've installed Adobe CC 2020 and in particular Premier Pro 2020, I actually spoke to Adobe Customer Service online. After some back and forth conversation with recommendations and assistance, Customer Service Officer ASHUTOSH stated that "So if you can see, I have shared the compatible drivers list with you. You will not find the graphic card in the lists of compatible of graphic card for premiere Pro" and concluded that "the error which you are facing is not related to Adobe, the graphic card says that unable to get playable modules, which is related to graphic card."

After that I actually believed that it was indeed an issue with the Macbook Pro 16" (2019)'s GPU [AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB], especially since Premier Pro 2020 and the abobe accompanying apps seems to load fine on the Macbook Pro 15" (2018), Macbook Pro 15" (2017) and Macbook Pro 15" (2016). These computers have all been upgraded to Catalina from Mojave prior.

However, after a clean install of macOS Catalina 10.15.2 on the Macbook Pro 15" (2018) [Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory], the above same issues appeared on it. Premier Pro 2020, After Effects 2020, Media Encoder 2020 and Audition 2020 all faced the exact same issues as the Macbook Pro 16" (2019). Similarly, downgrading to the CC 2019 versions of the above applications work fine and smoothly. This means that what Customer Service Officer ASHUTOSH shared was inaccurate, especially since the Radeon Pro Vega 20 is listed on the list of compatabile GPUs for Premier Pro.

Hence, after days of troubleshooting as well as noticing some other folks experiencing the same issue, here's hoping someone from Adobe can come out to address this issue and hopefully clarifying the following:

• Does Adobe CC 2020, especially the video-related applications like Premier Pro 2020, After Effects 2020, Audition 2020, etc. have GPU-loading related issues with macOS Cataline 10.15.2?
  • Having Adobe CC 2020 app installed on Macs with macOS Mojave installed prior to upgrading to Catalina does not resulted in any issues in running the app. The Macbook 2017 and 2016, both of which have are on Catalina now, load Premier Pro 2020 and the accompany apps without any errors or issues. Does this mean that certain permissions and perferences transfered over from macOS Mojave to macOS Catalina allows this apps to detect the GPU on the respective machines without any issues?
  • Am pretty sure it's an issue with the way Adobe CC 2020 interacts with Catalina 10.15.2, especially since my other Mac workstations with Mojave installed work fine with Adobe CC 2020. Is staying on Adobe CC 2019 the only way going forward for Macs with Catalina installed?
TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a Catalina Mac that hasn't previously been upgraded from Mojave to test this on, but it sounds like permission issues especially knowing how much things have changed in Catalina. Have you played with settings in Security and Privacy? I would try adding Premiere and Media Encoder to the "Allowed" list under Files and Folders and Full Disk Access. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.56.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WithersDigital,

Thanks for your suggestion. Have actually tried on both the MBP 16" (2019) and MBP 15" (2018) but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey there claudiochock -

for what it's worth i have the exact same problem on a brand new mac pro.  it has been driving me completley mad so i'm glad i'm not the only one.  i completely rebuilt the system to what i thought was success until about an hour in and the issue started again.

i'm downloading the 2019 versions right now in the hopes that they give some relief until this can be figured out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on my 2019 Mac Pro (Radeon Pro Vega II GPU).  This is an Adobe issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New MacPro here, too.  I did a clean install of all my apps and only migrated my Documents from my prior system.  I can work with Pr 2020, but with issues I can't tolerate (I've posted on this forum about it.).  Back to 2019, which works better.  There are several Project downgrader solutions around.  The only feature in 2020 that interests me anyway is the expanded options for speed changes.  I can work around that as I have before. 

Adobe has a lot of gall to put out such a buggy release, and call it an "upgrade," IMO.  But then, most of their Pr x.0 releases have been imperfect.

That said, the new "security" features of Catalina are onerous, and it appears the only way to get some apps to operate properly, you have to open the door to access to your file system - to make your computer insecure.  If you want a color picker to work, you have to allow the app to "record your screen."  I've kept the security pane open upon installation to verify that every third party plug in is safe, and I have dozens of them.  It's been quite a chore making the transition to Catalina - two full work days. 

Sorry that I can't offer a solution, but rather an anecdote that the combo of new MacPro, Catalina, and Pr 2019 and 2020 work more or less OK on my system - or well beyond the splash screen.  My surmise is that your issue may be related to permissions (security) of a folder the app is trying to access.  Maybe try adding a new User / Admin, and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having exactly the same problems on my brand new Mac Pro 2019 (also with Radeon Pro Vega II GPU).  

Likewise, I am also getting that the same error with other Adobe 2020 video apps (e.g. Prelude, After Effects etc.).  Similarly, Adobe 2019 equivalent products all load (but I am seeing some crashes with them in use too).  

I also had the experience that after doing an install (e.g. after uninstalling and using CC uninstaller to repair), that I also saw the application load initially, but given the no capable GPU module error on subsequently attempted relaunches.

Adobe engineers please note this seems to be a wide-spread issue that is easy to replicate! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You quoted my post where I reported I'm not having this problem.  I'm not claiming that exonerates Adobe, but it's also possible that it's a Catalina security issue.  Did you try a new Admin User as I suggested?  Perhaps you could try uninstalling the CC apps, log in as a fresh Admin User, reinstall, OK every security challenge, and see if that helps.

From the OP:  "It will load fine upon the first few tries, but having the same error after the laptop has been switched on for a while."

That gives me an idea that may be connected to Sleep and Energy Settings.  Check into your Energy Settings and try the never sleep disks option, and maybe the require log-in after sleep set to the maximum: 8 hours.  That's the only thing that seems connected to an issue popping up after the computer has been on for a while.  That, or something heat related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Looks like I posted this in the wrong place in the thread: I was trying to record that I was having the same issue as lu-mod above your reply (and so apologise for seemingly referring to your reply, which was not my intention).

To clarify:

1) I did not go as far as to set up a fresh admin account (rather checking all read/write permissions were in place as per 3 below).

2) Other than that, I have removed all the video products completely (several times), with restarts and emptying trash.  When I reinstalled them I cleared all MacOS Catalina security preference challenges and double-checked them in the preference pane to ensure all enable for the CC 2020 products I installed.

3) I have also made sure that all users (inc. me as admin) have access to folders named by Adobe as giving rise to problems if full read and write permissions are not enabled.

4) I understand your point about sleep/energy settings.  However, the scenario where I saw the problem does not relate, I think.  That is because what I did was launch PP2020, close it and then immediately relaunch (to test whether it would reopen).

5) I also noted that in installing apps sequentially, and then testing whether they would launch immediately after each app installation, that I could install PP2020, ME2020, AE2020 (all launching after install).  However, when I did Prelude 2020, it failed to launch.  After that point, none of the other aforementioned apps would launch either.

I must admit I gave up at that point!  Hope the extra detail is useful to any engineers that might be reading this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to be repetitive but I have the exact same issue with the new 16" Macbook Pro. Here is hoping adobe sets out a solution on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there I am facing the exact same issues. Did you get Premiere 2019 to work? My question is where do I get the 2019 version and can I just download and use it with my license for Premiere 2020? 

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same question here - where do you get the correct version? Also to clarify, did 2019 of PP / AE etc work with Catalina, or did you have to change this as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not only affect newer Apple hardware. I'm having the same issues on my MP Trashcan 2013 with dual AMD D500 on Mojave:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premiere-pro-could-not-find-any-capable-video-play-modul...

Not specific to PR but AE too....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, the same issues are replicated in the 2018 and 2017 Macbook 15" when there is a clean install of Catalina.

Leads me to believe that this is definitely not a hardware issue but a Adobe CC 2020 x macOS Catalina issue. Hope someone from Adobe will come forth, acknowledge and find a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Adobe staff member in the facebook group "Adobe Premiere Pro Editors on Facebook" has a workaround for this and will apply it if you post in that group. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't find this workaround

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CC2020 and related programs all updated yesterday. I had 20 total freeze crashes in a row when trying to render . No chance. Zero success. Had to go back to the prvious version. Lost many hours working time.

Mac OS CATALINA
Version 10.15.4 (19E266)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2,9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this post. I've been going nuts. Same computer as you (macbook pro 16" 2019 top spec in every way, bought 2 months ago). After Effects is unusable. Premiere Pro is not far off.  I'm going to try downgrading all adobe software. Were you getting glitchy playback in AE (looks like skipping frames, but really randomly - sometimes it will look fine, and then not, and then fine again). 

Thanks very much for the detail you put in to this post. Very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I found the problem: Using older saved files from previous versions of PP causes the problems. Using PP from the beginning with fresh footage causes no problems at all. Try it, 

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers for that. Did a project the other day with new footage etc, but still issues. Will try rolling back to 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi folks,

In case any of you are using the Promise Pegasus Utility, this is the issue casuing Premier Pro and the accomapny apps not to open.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premiere-pro-could-not-find-any-capable-video-play-modul...

Think the latest updated version solves the issue already.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines