• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2019 timeline lag on iMac Pro 27"

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the Premiere Pro CC 2019 update (version 13.0 (build 225)), timeline updates are much slower.

Scrubbing the timeline sticks and jumps. Doesn't matter if footage has no adjustment/ effects applied or not. Although, adding effects (lumetri color) makes the lag worse.

Adjusting scale and position on clips in timeline from effects panel takes 3 - 5 seconds to update new parameters. Before update, adjustments were in real-time.  Very frustrating when adjusting 4k in a 1080 timeline.

All premiere projects are being effected by the lag after the update.

Please advise.

iMac Pro (2017) 27"

CPU: 3GHz Intel Xeon W

RAM: 128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Startup: Mac HD

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB

External media drive: G-RAID Thunderbolt 3

Dual Monitor: LG UltraFine Display 27"

Media file type: mxf

Color Space: C-log

Video Info: 3840 x 2160 (1.0)

FPS: 29.976

Footage Source: Canon XC15

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

We had the same issue and found the problem and solution.

Premiere Pro 2019 is not compatible with High Sierra. We tried installing Mojave and Premiere Pro 2019 on one of our Macs. Worked like a charm. No performance issues. But when we installed Premiere Pro 2019 on Mac with High Sierra, we got the same issues as you've all described here. However when we rolled back to the 2018 version, whilst on High Sierra, no issues.

Solution? Mojave + Premiere Pro 2019 OR High Sierra + Premiere Pro 2018. Don

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I wish I hadn't updated just yet. The timeline is very laggy, regardless of whether I lower the playback resolution. The audio cuts out intermittently as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same. It's suddenly insanely frustrating to edit the most basic footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Is this a bug that needs to be fixed or is a setting that can be changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

hope will be fixed soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

✭ ✭ Exact same problem here: latest Premiere cc 2019 version 13.01

running on 2017 iMac OS High Sierra 10.13.5, 40gb RAM, Radeon Pro 580 w/8GB ram

Adobe rep - please answer this post and throw us a bone, I cannot work with a client next to me it is so laggy: literally 5-10 seconds going from a rolling trim or razor or any other edit back to playing the timeline; plus it just takes a long long while for the new timeline to load up ( I see it but the monitor remains blank, audio silent ).

Thanks-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing, don't know if this will be a useful clue or not to sorting out the problem but:

I noticed right away when going to cc 2019 that saving a project took much longer than ever before, and this on a new  small project so size not the issue. And while I do use auto-save I am also in the habit of manually saving when I remember. The save status bar zips to almost 75% then takes an additional 5-8 seconds. My last project was with the last 2018 cc of Premiere, running mammoth 4 k files... no problems, timeline zippy ( with and without proxies ) and saving nearly instantaneous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very interesting...

as many may have noticed ... I really consider myself as a critic of all new versions of premierepro since 12.1.

But funny , in this particular case , I made the opposite experience.

Since 13.0 the responsivness of the timeline , the time when I press play until it starts (until the playbackcache is loaded) , and the smoothness of playback, has definitely improved (at least for me).

Before , in 12.1 it is abolutely unusable and jerky.

In 13.0 and 13.0.1 it looks like back in 12.0 and earlier.

But all of the other showstopping problems remained annoyingly the same (despite some hopefull announcements by oficials).

What I mentioned during the last weeks reading many posts in this forum, it seems that people with os 10.13.4 and higher experience more performanceproblems than those with OSX 10.13.3 and lower. (maybe only to my cognition)

my specs are quite the same as the ones above:

IMacPro 8core

32 GB

RadeonProVega56

OSX 10.13.3 !!!!

current material from SONY A7S2 / 29,97 fps

accessed either from internal SSD or external USB3.0 mini RAID (2xSSD in ICY-Boy-enclosure)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - Previous to my posting I had tried most of above ( except create new project ) and now I have done that as well.

Nothing has changed - same bugs.

Here are some more clues for your code detectives - should they even be working on this at all:  WE HOPE SO!!

1. Once project is up, loading the (small & short FYI) sequence takes 5-10 seconds before clips register visually and aurally on the canvas.

Then it plays fine - fast scrolling back and forth OK.

2. Should I duplicate the sequence and try to play, I see the new timelines BUT I must wait close to 10 seconds for it to play and be responsive to keyboard commands + to be visible In the canvas / monitor.

During this wait time the keyboard is not enabled but I can use the mouse to move across the timeline. Although as said above, nothing is registered on the monitor - sound or picture.

3. Once a timeline is functioning normally, I can make razor cuts, deletes ok and keeping the timelines functioning normally.

4. Using the non-ripple edit tool also seems to work fine and once finished with a trim, the timeline stills behaves normally.

5. BUT if I use either the Ripple Edit tool or the Rolling edit tool, once I stop the trim, we are back to waiting 8-10 seconds for the timelines to be responsive again.

More notes to follow - Adobe, please let us all know you are following this -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JP General,

Sorry for the frustration. Have you tried creating proxies or transcoding your camera originals? If so:

If none of these things work, try contacting us here: Contact Customer Care

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the Video Rendering and Playback 'renderer' in Project Settings?

My playback was the same (much worse than Premiere 2018) until I switched to '...GPU Acceleration (Metal)'

(it was previously on '...Software Only')

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same issue and found the problem and solution.

Premiere Pro 2019 is not compatible with High Sierra. We tried installing Mojave and Premiere Pro 2019 on one of our Macs. Worked like a charm. No performance issues. But when we installed Premiere Pro 2019 on Mac with High Sierra, we got the same issues as you've all described here. However when we rolled back to the 2018 version, whilst on High Sierra, no issues.

Solution? Mojave + Premiere Pro 2019 OR High Sierra + Premiere Pro 2018. Don't mix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that’s good to know.

I currently can’t update to Mojave as I also use the iMac for music production and most of the plugins and host software is still not fully supported.

When I can update, it’s great to know that Premiere will run well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to know, thanks so much! I have been waiting to update to Mojave per the usual precautions on all major OS updates but that's all the green light I need. Happy Thanksgiving all -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that Mojave seemed to fix our problem as well, proven with an A/B test on one of two iMac 5K linked via Thunderbolt Bridge.

Also noticed the problem to be worse with projects we had started in CC2018 and then updated to CC2019.

Joshua McKenna

Visual Media Coordinator

Grace Bible Church | 713.705.8482

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you fix this issues? I have a I Mac Pro 2017 working with premiere 2019

18 cores processor 2.3 ghz intel xeon w

Mojave 10.14.3

memory 128 gb 2666 MHz ddr4

graphics radeon pro vega 64 16368 mb

I have the same issues I don't even can play at 1/8 trying to created a multi cam  please help me:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same hardware / software as you, and Premier Pro CC 2019 is basically unusable.  We switched from Lightroom to Capture One because of Lightroom's issues, so it may be time to move to DaVinci Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly the same, did you ever find a fix. This is infuriating, Im having to edit blind and cut to audio just hoping that I am selecting the right camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have PP2019 and mojave and it doesnt run as smooth as 2018. Even 2018 runs better on mojave than 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned this on the original thread but in case anyone missed it, if you run a RAM preview in AE in the background, and on a loop, whilst rendering in Pr, your render will 'wake up' in Pr. Just having Ae open doesn't work, it has to be doing something in the background. A definite temporary fix until its sorted by Adobe. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 17.30.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue.  Before upgrading to 2019 - playhead was smooth as butter - no jumpy and laggy on any kind of footage in timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also noticing I'm having some performance issues as well. imac pro, 14 core 2.5 ghz, 128gb ram, vega 64.

I'll be scrubbing through my 4k timeline and will go over a clip that may have 2 other 4k clips stacked underneath it. It'll start the spinning wheel and completely lock up for about 20 seconds, then once it stops the hiccup it runs fine. This happens when I try and adjust the clip length (not even lumetri applied yet) and it locks. I can playback the timeline without render in real time but something this small locks up for 20 seconds?

Even my 2016 MacBook pro doesn't have this lockup issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you fix this issues? I have a I Mac Pro 2017 working with premiere 2019

18 cores processor 2.3 ghz intel xeon w

Mojave 10.14.3

memory 128 gb 2666 MHz ddr4

graphics radeon pro vega 64 16368 mb

I have the same issues I don't even can play at 1/8 trying to created a multi cam  please help me:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been trying to get Premiere 2019 to work across two separate machines and it's a no-go right across the board.  Our first machine is the latest 5K 27" iMac with 40GB of RAM installed.  Playing back simple footage with no effects is impossible even at 1/4 quality.  Yes, PLAYBACK.  We're talking 1-2 FPS in total.

Our second machine is a high-end PC build with a 1950X Threadripper, 64GB of RAM clocked at 3000MHz, a GTX 1080ti card and running on Samsung Pro M.2 drives.  Same issue, to a T. 

It's worth noting that we've been forced to roll back to Premiere 2017, which clears up all these issues across the board, and we're able to play back normal video at FULL quality with absolutely no hiccups or FPS drops whatsoever.  This problem has persisted with 2019 since October, and it's really frustrating that there's no fix for this after 4 months.  We even had an Adobe technician log in remotely to our machine and go through every single possible troubleshooting attempt with us.  He was baffled and was forced to turn it over to Adobe developers.  Never heard anything back, and that was 2 months ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines