• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere and .mov files - complicated relationship AGAIN?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the problem with Premiere/After Effects and .mov files?

For 3 years now, since I've been using Premiere, problems with importing or using mov files come and go, with some of the updates.

At the moment, I can import .mov files but when draging them to the timeline only the audio part of the file is recognized.

How, please tell me, how can I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.19.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.20.46 PM.png

As you can see the original file you sent me will play on other media players but not in Premiere. Its a Quicktime Animation aka RLE format. Premiere seems to have an issue with this. Look what happens once I converted to Prores444

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.20.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.21.10 PM.png

Now it works perfectly. Here are the file sizes after conversion

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.27.02 PM.png

So its the codec on your original files that are causing issue. A simple re-encode using Quicktime Plyer and you are all good to go with no loss of quality. I trust this will solve your problem.

Mol

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have your source and track targets set correctly? Blue blocks to the left side of the track header?

I'm on my phone or I'd paste a png image.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Neil. Thank you for trying to help me.

Regarding your question, I believe so. If you can later on paste the png image, I could tell you for sure if the source and track targets are set correctly.

Until then, I have attached a printscreen with the way the mov file is diplayed in the files panel. As you can see, even the icon shows only the wav file (like for the mp3 file below). Premiere doesnt use the usual icon used for video files.

mov.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.49.31 AM.png

This I the track target. As you can see V1 (Video 1) is not highlighted in blue but A1 (Audio 1) is highlighted. Any footage brought in will only bring the audio onto the timeline on A1 as its the targeted track.

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.49.23 AM.png

Now that the V1 track is highlighted both video and audio will be brought onto the timeline.

Please check if this is whats causing your problem and let us know.

Thanks. Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Mo. Thanks for the details. No, in my case, I am afraid this doesnt help. I have tried to drag the mov file on the highlighted video track but it doesnt work. Only draging it on the audio track.

Yes, I am 100% sure the mov file has both video and audio in it.

After the last update, both Premiere and After Effects seem to interpret mov files only as audio.

20181108_112847.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete affected clips from project.

Delete media cache.

Rename top folder the clips are in.

Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete affected clips from project.

Delete media cache.

As Ann Bens​ mentioned. Might help with this

Let us know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Doesnt work. Also tried creating a new project from scratch.

All the mov files that previously worked, don't work anymore. I have even uninstalled Quiqktime and reinstalled it.

Premiere and After Effects see only the audio part of the mov file.

The problem started after updating the two softwares.

aftereffects.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can u put the file into media encoder and re-encode as a H.264 and see if this can be placed on the timeline.

This is the first part of the way forward.

Lets see where we go from there

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried encoding it. The result is a black (no image) H264 video with sound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you delete media cache and renamed the clips?

Are these clips your own made or downloaded from somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted media cache. Renamed the clips.

I made the clips and they previously worked, I had no problems imported them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What codec is used in your mov file ?

From I've read, I get the impression that the file might be corrupted. Are you able to watch it in another software ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can watch the file both in Quicktime player, VLC media player or any other player.

Regarding the codec, I am using ”Animation” codec from the ones available.

I am 100% sure It is not a problem with the files.

For 3 years I could use the files exported this way from the animation software that I am using.

It must be a problem with the latest Adobe updates because neither the files I have exported yesterday, nor the ones exported 1 year ago dont work anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can u send me one of the files. I will test it for you. You can wetransfer to me at [Please use the Private Message system for giving out your email on this forum.  You will expose yourself to spambots if you don't.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! Thank you! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.19.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.20.46 PM.png

As you can see the original file you sent me will play on other media players but not in Premiere. Its a Quicktime Animation aka RLE format. Premiere seems to have an issue with this. Look what happens once I converted to Prores444

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.20.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.21.10 PM.png

Now it works perfectly. Here are the file sizes after conversion

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.27.02 PM.png

So its the codec on your original files that are causing issue. A simple re-encode using Quicktime Plyer and you are all good to go with no loss of quality. I trust this will solve your problem.

Mol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this!

You have no idea how grateful I am!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a pleasure Cristiana. Would you kindly mark the post as the solution so when others experience something similar they can gain on this experience.

Many thanks

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure! Thanks again, have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am relatively new to Premiere Pro and am experiencing the same problem, so thank you for providing a solution. Is it possible for you to explain how to convert a .mov file into whatever you did to fix the issue? I don't understand how to find and alter that information using QuickTime player. Also, is there a way to convert multiple videos into that format at the same time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Drop it into QuicktimePlayer and choose the output format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines