Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC 19 GPU not used during exports or playback

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We work with the Panasonic EVA1 footage (420longGOP 150M codec) on a windows pc (Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2145 CPU 3.70GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P4000)

Yet, whenever I try to playback my footage, it's very laggy. It doesn't run smooth. My playback engine is set on GPU Acceleration (CUDA) so it should use my GPU, however it only uses 4%.

When exporting videos it does the exact same thing. It only uses 4% of my GPU and around 64% of CPU. Exporting videos reqeuires more of CPU than GPU, I know this, but I believe there is a way to combine this right?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU acceleration isn't used for playback.

What you want with your footage is proxies.  Choose the appropriate Cineform preset.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried proxies, but to me it's a very inefficient way to work since creating the proxies actually takes longer than the edit itself.

I think the problem is the compressed footage which I'm working with, since I do not have any issues regarding playback while using 4K RAW RED files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best option if proxies aren't viable is to shoot to a different format.

Many cameras like the new Blackmagic Pocket 4K will shoot to ProRes.  Most external recorders like the Atomos Ninja will as well.

Put another way: If you shoot H.264, use proxies.  If you don't want to use proxies, don't shoot H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim!

I've a lot of product videos coming up which I have to record in a small studio, so having an Atomos Ninja would be a very practical outcome during editing as well as shooting the videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing what a tool like the Ninja can be in the total workflow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies have been part of editing for a long time. As have strategies on creating and using them.

Plan out your next steps. You have a job to do tomorrow with significant amounts of H 264, set Me to making proxies overnight.

You show up they're all ready.

There's a lot of organization to the process many of us skip. Jarle Leirpoll has a huge ebook stressing the massive time-saving from creating an organized preset structure and storing tons of presets. Set up an audio track sequence one time, use the preset next time.

Create "template" projects with things you make that can't be a preset but can be dragged into a new working project.

Over time, I'm doing more of that myself. Including overnight proxy runs.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi larsv24766141,

The GPU usage in Premiere Pro is currently limited to process the GPU accelerated effects and features. The other things are mostly processed over CPU. You may refer to this link to know more about the GPU accelerated effects in Premiere Pro.

Types of effects in Premiere Pro

The GPU usage would be higher if more of these effects are used, in case if they aren't then you may notice a lower GPU usage.

We are trying to add more effects and features to this list to make better use of the available GPU resource.

Hope it helps, let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines