• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC 2018 Playback Delay after pressing the Play button

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous version of Premiere when i Press Space it starts immediately playng.

In CC 2018 it starts after nearly 1 second with MERCURY ON and immediately if disabled.

Z620 32GB K4000 

CPU: DUAL 2640

iNSTALLED VARIOUS VERSION OF GRAPHIC CARD DRIVERS.

INSTALLED ON A FRESH INSTALLED WINDOWS AND AGAIN THE SAME THING.

IT DOES THIS WITH ANY FILE FORMAT OR SEQUENCE TEMPLATE.

PLEASE!

Message was edited by: Moderator

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

This issue is now fixed on my system with the 12.0.1 update to Premiere. Thanks Trent Happel​ and team!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 118 Replies 118
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hell, sometimes I cannot resist answering.

If someone is an ACP , i expect him/her to be honestly answering based on known facts.

I for myself am struggeling with exactly the same issues , nearly everyone has since the release of 12.x.

I got in very close contact to officials who told me stories ...... I better not commenting any of these.

I've spent the last 5 days totally investigating everything possible with these issues, based on one of our planned tech specs.

here they are:

HP Z4 G4

Intel XEON 6 core

NVidia P4000

32gb Ram

AJA Io 4K plus / BlackMagic - different boxes (all TB3)

Intellimix 2

some other person her on the forum was trying for month now to convice everyone, that all of these issues are bound to hardware weakness.

Look at my specs.

And .. it is exactly as everyone here descibes it.

WITH OR WITHOUT the I/O-box , playbutton---hughe delay, then stuttering playback.

repositioning the cursor in the sequence and immendiately pressing PLAY.....annoying delay and totally stuttering !

It is absolutely obvious that the calculation and filling of the playback cache ist faulty since they invited the additional "hardware support". Since then the mercury cuda or metal or... does not work anymore.

One result is correct: The problem lies in accessing different devices for audio and video...in my case for "voice over" video over AJA , and audio over Intellimix.

It is one of the oldest problems, editingsystems had, since the very first beginning 26 years ago....synchronsation of 2 different devicedrivers (especially under windows / OSX is not so affected by that).

I tried everything - 5 long days - then tried to go back to 12.0.1 .

In this particular case it does not help solving my problems .

Then went back to the CC17 version from Nov2017 .... and ....same machine ....no changes ....same drivers .....

buttery smooth playback ... everything works fine ... voive over is working.... some minor problems with the HEVC codec (maxbe I can solve them tomorrow.

besides many more 12.x related problems I can give everyone a proven advice:

working as a TV/broadcast professional with necessary HD-SDI In/Out , and going on air by playing out through HD-SDI...defenitely stick to the latest 11.x version of premiere pro . That one works with I/O boxes from AJA as well as with Blackmagic (DNxIO).

If you are working for customers where the delivery is filebased , and your monitoring is made by hdmi/displayport - computermonitors , and your voiceover-workflow consists on USB-devices like a shure-mic or a usb audiomixer like the intellimix, then you can install up to the 12.0.1 version.

If you are only playing for socialmedia videos and stutters are no showstopper for you, as well as the lost ability to use some of the actual cameracodecs, then you are the most welcome customer for adobe ... a so called "early adopter".

So please don't tell us again that it might be the reason of some dedicated hardware or driver ..... prove it...or go back to the above mentioned versions and prove it yourself.

If someone of you is attending the IBC .... go to adobe ...try to get honest answers..... what ever happened ...we are only interested in one answer..

"when will you be able and willing to provide us with an again full working version !? "  .. I for myself lost the confidence that they are willing to change their current strategy  ... and therefore ..I changed the system successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

megacinn  wrote

If someone is an ACP , i expect him/her to be honestly answering based on known facts.

What is your definition of a "known fact?" I don't know what about my answers you don't consider "honest" but just FYI the forum ACPs do not work for Adobe. We are simply users of the software who want to help other people on the internet. I don't have any special insider knowledge other than through my personal experience with their software. Troubleshooting these types of issues, there is no one-size-fits-all response. This playback play/pause issue you are experiencing? I don't have it. Neither do any of the 15+ editors I work with. It's hard for me to help troubleshoot when I can't duplicate your issue but I can at least suggest things that have worked in the past.

As for your issue, I would ask the same thing I asked Robert:

If you create a new project, add bars and tone to a new sequence, do you experience the delay?

What about with your external devices (AJA) disconnected?

What about with Mercury Transmit disabled?

If, for example, the delay is gone with the AJA disconnected but you DO when you have it connected, I think we can safely surmise that there is either an issue with the AJA device or with the protocol that connects to the AJA device. Being able to narrow down the possibilities helps with troubleshooting and if you go through the official Adobe tech support, this information would be extremely valuable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I don't know the ins and outs of the code or anything... but I just rolled back to CC2017 (the latest last version) and then rolled back my 200mb+ project file so I could open and re-save in CC2017.  Low and behold... everything is fixed. 

Exact same configuration as before.  Nothing has changed in the lineup.  Drives and AJA (using the latest control panel and firmware) not running like lighting in Premiere 11.1.2

I'm not a software engineer but I think anyone struggling with hardware issue might be better off rolling back as I just did.  The last 20 mins of editing has been a breath of fresh air and what I expect from a professional NLE.

I cut theatrical features for a living and this is my first real experience on the pro stage with Adobe Premiere.  The last several week transitioning my team along with the studio techs have been tough. Now with this simple rollback it seems at least what started this whole trial and error has been resolved.  I didn't realize you could roll back a project file so easily.

In the end we never truly fixed it, we just went to a earlier version.

The start/stop is now on par with Avid and DaVinci in CC2017 11.1.2.

Many thanks to you Jeff for pushing me for more answers I would've typically blown off in favor of continuing to work, even though I was struggling in my technique and was miserable.

The nice thing is if Adobe releases a update I just try it out without losing time, if it's not fixed I'll just keep going in CC2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that's working for you Robert. For what it's worth, the 15+ editors I work with are still working on CC2017. I upgrade my personal machine with every Adobe update for testing purposes and I have not yet given the green light to update our editors to 2018. I am not a fan of early adoption, nor do I like Adobe's pressure to update as soon as they release a new version. Too many things get broken and stay unfixed. CC2017 works great and CC2018 holds no essential features. I would not be surprised if my team stays on CC2017 for the next few years. It certainly looks like that's going to be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you rollback a project file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or PC?

Two different methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to roll back but all my current projects are on the new stuff and won't convert backwards unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I 'downgrade' an Adobe Premiere Pro project file to open in older versions? - Video Productio...

Make sure you make a copy first, but the link above will take you to a page documenting how to mod your project so you can roll-back PP like you said you'd like to. Let us know how the older PP works for you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Jeff Bugbee

look at the next part of the thread ..directly right after mine.

What helped Robert Mead ?

rolling back to an older version...that is exactly what I tried to say.

Look at nearly every thread regarding issues since 12.1.x

Nearly every time there is a ping-pong with ...ah humm your hardware ...weak...have you tried to disable....and then after days of desperately fumbling ...the solution is .... it is not the hardware....roll back to version 12.0.1 or older .....without any changes to the system ...everything is fine again.

We all are watching this forum since a very long time, hoping to find help and solutions...many are new and under timepressure...so these of us , who have read so many articles and their results, should take this as learned awareness and give it to others.

The reason why I'm so upset about this is no personal thing against anyone.

It is the experiences I had the last month with adobe itself (in person).

I've got the feeling that those who should know better, trying to spread "comercial interpretations" of the totally faulty actual softwareversion wasting our money and time.

And answering precisely to your question:

yes , the behaviour is always ..regardless with connected or disconnected AJA-IO or BlackmagicIO.

Working without mercurytransmit makes premiere useless, because every external device will be cuttoff in that case ..therefore not tested.

my conclusion ... it is the changed playback-cache and the "hardwaresupport" in general (see other thread ... no GPU-hardware-Support).

if going back to an older version...and everything is fine again...what other could be the preception ?

I definitely will not offend you in any way , but I'm noticing some writers here , where I am not sure how "motivated" they are .

so, let's help others as good as we can ..especially if adobe is not doing a good job. 

(in my case it is 50% a very close decision to stay on the adobe path /away from avid or forget the premiere trouble--back to avid  , the other 50% have already moved to resolve).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

megacinn  wrote

look at the next part of the thread ..directly right after mine.

What helped Robert Mead ?

rolling back to an older version...

Scroll up. That's exactly what I recommended him to do right before your post.

megacinn  wrote

Nearly every time there is a ping-pong with ...ah humm your hardware ...weak...have you tried to disable....and then after days of desperately fumbling ...the solution is .... it is not the hardware....roll back to version 12.0.1 or older .....without any changes to the system ...everything is fine again.

If you've read anything I've posted, I've already said my team is still using CC2017. But when a user comes here, using CC2018, I'm not going to simply tell them to use 2017, I'm going to at least make the attempt to get 2018 working for them. And yes, in order to troubleshoot, you have to go through multiple avenues to get to the root of the issue, disabling devices, changing settings, etc. That isn't a problem, that's standard troubleshooting procedure.

megacinn  wrote

yes , the behaviour is always ..regardless with connected or disconnected AJA-IO or BlackmagicIO.

Working without mercurytransmit makes premiere useless, because every external device will be cuttoff in that case ..therefore not tested.

This is simply false. Mercury Transmit does not cut off "every eternal device." It will simply not allow you to send video to an external monitor. Your source and program windows will work just fine and you can edit just fine. "Making premiere useless" is hyperbole at its absolute worst. If you don't want to find out what's causing the issue, by all means, stop testing.

megacinn  wrote

my conclusion ... it is the changed playback-cache and the "hardwaresupport" in general (see other thread ... no GPU-hardware-Support).

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

megacinn  wrote

I definitely will not offend you in any way , but I'm noticing some writers here , where I am not sure how "motivated" they are .

Is this an implication that some posters are getting kickbacks for using this forum? Where are you getting this from? What evidence do you have that supports this theory? At this point I can't tell if you are trolling or actually believe this stuff.

megacinn  wrote

so, let's help others as good as we can ..especially if adobe is not doing a good job. 

(in my case it is 50% a very close decision to stay on the adobe path /away from avid or forget the premiere trouble--back to avid  , the other 50% have already moved to resolve).

Is that not what we're doing here? Trying to help? I'm certainly not posting here to argue with people about my intentions for posting here.

As for whether or not you you stay with Adobe, that's your choice. Bringing that up on a user to user forum is utterly useless as no one here is even remotely affected by your decisions. By all means, move to Avid or DaVinci. If that means you will post your disgruntled rants on their forums instead of this one I'm all for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually tried every single possible combination of settings in the audio hardware screen including ASIO and MME. So a screen shot won't do any good since they all show the same problem even when RealTek is selected or Yamaha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerry,

I feel your pain. From the video you posted it looks like you only have a few clips. We are aware of an issue with slow playback (from hitting spacebar, e.g.) in projects with many clips and many effects on those clips. We know the root cause of this and though we can't give you a date, we will have a fix for it soon. I'd be happy to take a look at your issue (which seems different if you only have a few clips and tracks), if you can send me one of your projects that have this issue.

Regards,

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Alan,

I see this post from u is from sep, 2018. I am still facing the same problem. Where is the fix? Shall we just dump Adobe and switch to final cut?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Im dumping this stupid app the moment I have break between projects. PP CC cant even do simple functions like proper project manager without failing or crashing which is something FCP7 managed to do seamlessly more than a decade ago already... Its halfbaked and buggy all the way through.Not to mention the clunky Creative Clout with all its bullsh$t background processes eating up ram. Even PP works better without all tye background processes if I kill it all in Activity monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can switch to Mercury play back engine software only from CUDA

it will be faster when you are working on the timeline

but get slower on colour grading

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature was available in CC 2017, but don't see it in CC 2018 for the Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, including stuttering on audio and/or video every 2-3 seconds. As much as I like the new version, I can not work in these conditions  and I also reinstalled  the old version until the issue is fixed. Even in Media Browser the same occurs.

When I switch to Mercury Software mode the delay problem is no more but the stuttering remains.

In cc2017 didn't encountered these issues.

My system is:

GPU GTX 470 1,2GB

CPU i7 6850k

RAM 48GB

PS: I just replaced my GPU with a GTX 970 4GB and the problems persists. Soon I will do a reinstall to the OS (Windows 10 Pro) maybe something is wrong in current installation (although I freshly installed the OS on the Fall Creators Update release day)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use Mercury Open CL the delay is constant (half sec) but if I change to Mercury Software Only then working with no delay. I think, the problem is the Premiere CC Open CL propulsion.

Sorry for my bad English..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue occurring here. CC 2017 playback is instant when using spacebar or the play icon, but there is a 0.5 to 1 second delay when performing the same function using CC 2018. Nothing has changed in my PC specs and the Premiere preferences are identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem-- only my delay is at least thirty seconds long, and sometimes, more than a minute. This is extremely frustrating.

Windows 7, i7, 16 gig memory, GeForce GTX 1080 card.

Probably going to roll back to the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same question, I thought I was the only one with this problem but apparently not. it is quite annoying in cc 2017 it did not happen, HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely the same problem in CC 2018 (in 2017 everything is fine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I desperately need a fix for this. Same issue, started shortly after upgrade.

ryzen 1800x

64gb ram

980ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!  ADOBE CAN YOU PAY ATTENTION PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with cc 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines