• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere is a nightmare on my M1 Pro and I'm out of ideas

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm writing this after reaching out to Adobe Customer Service multiple times. I already called the hotline twice, was put on hold for about 30 min because they had to "look up a solution" and then they just hung up on me and closed my case.

I'm running Premiere Pro on a 10-core-CPU M1 Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM.

MacOS 12.3, but my issues have been there since I got the Mac, I think 12.0 or 12.1.

Here are some of the issues I'm having:

- Premiere uses 200% of my CPU (sometimes even just when running in background)

- Premiere uses 60 GB (!!) of RAM, or thinks it does at least.

- Terrible scrubbing and playback and many audio issues (short audio outages during playback)

- Crashes during auto-save

- Crashes while trying to exit Premiere

- Random freezing during work

- Very very slow while handling subtitles or applying changes to lumetri color effects

My projects use mp4 footage with a maximum of 4K resolution and 100mb/s, the videos are basic and I work with footage from no more than 2 cameras. This even happens when I'm using proxies. I nest audio tracks and put basic sound FX on them such as noise reduction. Nothing a computer this powerful shouldn't be able to handle.

I tried:

- Uninstall and reinstall obviously, also with the special Adobe tool to remove the whole Creative Suite

- The beta version (that was even worse)

- Installing Creative Suite in a different language

- Tweaking memory settings and audio buffer

Please help!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

probably the same but easier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey there,

so sorry this is happening to you. it's happening to me too. I'm actually learning how to edit video on Blender for my hobby projects because it's so darn fast and lightweight... Final cut and resolve rub me the wrong way sometimes... But never as much as this "your system has run out of application memory" issue.... 

If you have any luck regarding premiere please do let us know! I appreciate your candor and feel very seen 🙂

I can't believe that I can't use the new machine I bought to do my job right now because of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to guess that you have Monterey 12.3 - the latest update on the Mac OS? Because that's what is the issue. After installing this latest update, all Premiere versions of 2022 (build 128 and older) exhibit massive dropped frames no matter what you do in the time line, no matter how low the resolution is.... doesn't matter if you render previews reset to default preferences.... however, the same video files play fine on the Mac desktop preview and Quicktime. This is definitely an Adobe Premiere issue. And also, I noticed there was warning about some Dynamic Link Manager thing...no idea what that is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this Trans5F95.   Just curious:  did you learn this from experience and/or just from reading about it online and if so, where?

This kind of thing is incredibly important particularly as m1 macs do not allow you to restore a boot clone (I always update my clone before doing an OS update or any major app update or install - I know you can do a system migration to revert to a clone, just not sure how well that works).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personal experience. I'm actually still trying to solve this issue at this moment as I am an editor/producer/dp at Houston Methodist Hospital Marketing. This is very wasteful on time and projects are getting late and stacking up, but I have no way to edit them since a couple of weeks ago updating to Monterey 12.3
I am not using an M1 mac, but I am pretty sure it's the disagreement between Premiere and Monterey 12.3... there was no issue in the previous Monterey version.

iMac 27inch Retina 5k 2020
Monterey 12.3
64Gm RAM
AMD Radeon Pro 5800 8 GB internal GPU
AMD Radeon Pro w6800 32GB External Razor Chroma Enclosure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you working with IT people or do you manage your editing workstation yourself?  If so, if you need some help in creating and maintaining a bootable clone of your startup drive, let me know.  It's a lifesaver in this kind of situation...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if I could install OS Big Sur on an external and install just adobe Premiere to see if that fixes things. But I don't know how to do this. I reckon IT wouldn't have anything to do with this process because I am leaving my main machine intact. If you know how to do this let me know. 

Viet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

should be able to.  I'd suggest getting a SSD to do the install on.   I've got a little bus powered SSD that's 500 gigs and I have highsierra and one other OS installed on it cause I occasionally need to work on older programs that won't work with the latest OS...  If you want to talk, send me a message directly by clicking on my username at the top of any of my posts...  I'm juggling a bunch of jobs right now, but it shouldn't be too timeconsuming to walk you thru the process...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figured out that Monterey 12.3 update causes nonfunctionality of Premiere and Davinci with external GPU. I am using an AMD w6800 inside a Razor Chroma enclosure. Once disconnected from the GPU, all previous files play smoothly. I don't know if this is to be reported to Apple, AMD, or Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got the Apple update patch 12.3.1 today and it fixed all GPU issues. Footage is smooth again. Thank Zeus!

Viet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glad you solved the issue and that you posted your fix here to help others.  Does your IT department automatically roll out OS updates?  Would be nice if you had some control over that although I understand how they may have security issues at the head of the line...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Houston Methodist Hospital System has one person for the entire Mac system and tons for Windows machines. Their software updates for Mac do not focus on operational issues for Adobe Creative Suites so we end up getting forced sometimes to update due to overriding security priorities vs. creative tool functionality. They simply do not have manpower to screen compatibility issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @shahaks1299563 ,

Sorry for this problem. We have done some export improvements in the latest beta builds. You can download the latest Premiere Pro Beta build from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps --> Premiere Pro (Beta).

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

Please try and let us know how it goes in the beta build. If you still see this issue in beta builds, please share your original footage. We will check it at our end and take quick action.

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines