• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2017 crashes computer when scrubbing the timeline?

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded to Premiere Pro 2017 and I've been having this issue while scrubbing the timeline, which first, freezes the timeline, then after a couple seconds the monitor turns black and my computer crashes and restarts. I used to have a similar issue with Premiere Pro CC 2015 but I was using an AMD R9 380 at the time and was under the impression that purchasing a GTX 1070 (as I have done now) would fix the problem, as I had heard that AMD and Adobe don't generally mix well together. Of course, fixing this issue was not the only reason for buying a brand new GTX 1070, but it was one of many.

This issue occurs with both "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)" and "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" settings selected.

Here are my specs, and before you say anything about me video editing with an i5, let me tell you that I do mild video editing and rendering. I'm not a professional and don't use the program every day, so I'm not really in desperate need of an i7 at the moment.

CPU: i5 4690K OC'd @ 4.0GHz (perfectly stable btw)

GPU: MSI GTX 1070

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3

SSD (in which OS and Adobe software is installed): Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a professional and don't use the program every day

That causes me concern in that you may be using PP on a general purpose machine, with all kinds of non-editing software installed.  I think the better option is to use PP on a dedicated editing system, with only editing tools installed.

I say this because it's not impossible for other software to interfere with the proper operation of Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what exactly is causing the problem? Because I don't have enough $$ to just build a brand new machine for editing only. Does EVERY gaming YouTube have a separate computer, 1 for gaming and the other for editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what exactly is causing the problem?

I don't know.

Does EVERY gaming YouTube have a separate computer, 1 for gaming and the other for editing?

I'd say they should, but I don't consider gaming a "professional" use, the market for which PP is intended.  So to my thinking, gamers shouldn't be using PP at all.  It doesn't normally edit that footage very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So even if I'm editing movie clips (which i am) and they're MP4's, then i still cant use premiere pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AlessioMarin1 wrote:

So even if I'm editing movie clips (which i am) and they're MP4's, then i still cant use premiere pro?

If they are from a screencapture program and produce variable framerate.

Convert with Handbrake to constant framerate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....... are u saying that the entire issue could be because i simply are using clips are variable framerate..... 😕 I'm converting to constant now. There's a good 60GB of clips so I'll only convert a few clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to convert my mp4 to constant framerate and the same issue happened. no change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'll just use Adobe Premiere Elements....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so.... wtf do i do now then nobody else is gonna answer this post so i basically have no way of fixing the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say they should, but I don't consider gaming a "professional" use,

ahahahaHAHAHahhaHaHAhAHAHAhAHHAAHAHA

well Jim Simon the ~$100b industry disagrees with you, so get your ego out of the elitist headspace and get useful instead, the world has moved on

FWIW OP, I see the same issue with 240fps clips when recorded on iPhone.  i use After Effects Interpret Footage menu to reinterpret it as 60fps and then export and do what i will from there with my 1/4 speed 240fps file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the ~$100b industry disagrees with you, so get your ego out of the elitist headspace and get useful instead

OK.

If you want to edit game footage, use a hardware recorder that records proper video.

It's what professionals do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing MP4 files in Premiere has always been an absolute nightmare, variable or constant framerate. There is something about the compression scheme that Premiere simply does not work well with. Editing GoPro footage, for instance, is incredibly slow and I always convert to a different format. You are better off converting your video clips to a more edit-friendly format like ProRes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, if it's always been a problem editing an .mp4 file, why did this work perfectly on the previous version of Premiere? As I stated in my post above this worked fine and now since the upgrade 240fps editing is impossible. And Adobe doesn't give a rats-butt after I've called them 3 times about this.... I am really considering dumping adobe altogether at this point... Tired of paying premium prices for mediocre support and software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you but your only options right now are: convert your footage to something that works in the current version; downgrade to a previous version that worked better for you; or file a bug report and move on. Unfortunately stuff like this takes time for them to work out. Major upgrades always seem to cause small breakages in functionality but usually they get fixed.

One other thing you could try is changing the graphics acceleration method under Project Settings. If things stop working for me under OpenCL it usually helps me to switch to CUDA and vice-versa. the "Metal" option is as I understand not fully implemented yet but is supposed to be compatible with upcoming new hardware and software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you benwinter, I'll give the graphic settings a try. I definitely can relate to software upgrades. I once was a programmer back in the day. Sometimes, I can be a jerk when I shouldn't because I should know that testing every single aspect of a large build such as Premiere, will take a lot of time and eventually it will get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having *almost*  the same issue. I can work on any frame rates and any resolution up to 4K; such as 24, 30, 60, 90, 120. But when I load any 240fps videos, even short 20 second videos. As soon as I touch the scrub tool, Adobe crashes out and stops working. I get the typical WIndows is trying to find a solution.. etc.

I was editing these fine just before the update to 2017 and suddenly - No go. Crashes every time.

Has nothing to do with specs on my computer or the camera. Every file I've tested works perfectly except the 240fps files.

I seriously think it's due to the upgrade to 2017. Someone in dev didn't code something quite right. Praying for a fix, because I do a lot of slow-mo in 240fps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any updates to your situation?

I am in a very similar situation. I wanted to edit several high speed drop test clips for my boss. When ever I click on the timeline and it coincides with an iPhone high speed clip Premiere crashes. I tried updating to the latest version of PP, using handbrake to re encode at a constant frame rate, and using adobe media encoder, but the results are all the same. When I try and scrub through the video the entire Premiere Pro program crashes and if I didn't save I loose all the edits. Frustrating!

CPU: i7-4712HQ @2.3GHz

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M

RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

SSD: 1TB Samsung (PM851)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar specs and am having the same issue with Samsung S7 240fps video. I DID NOT have this issue with CC2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I also get this problem on Premiere Pro CC (2014) (Now I am using Premiere Pro 2017). It crashes with a "Blue Screen of Death" on Windows 10 (64-Bit) (WHEA_UNEXPECTED_ERROR).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off audio while scrubbing under Preferences>Audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Thank you!

This worked. At least when I tried it on a new project. I will try it with an older project that kept crashing, but I dont see why it shouldn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is caused by the play audio while scrubbing feature. Make sure it's off and it should work. That said, Adobe has posted an update today that is supposed to fix the problem, so hopefully it's resolved for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines