• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2022 - Dynamic Link Not working with After Effects

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to PP 22, dynamic link with AE is not working. I've tried going to documents and putting OLD after dynamic link folder, but this did nothing.

This is so disappointing and am actually installing beta versions to finish a project. 

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

This morning, there was an update to AfterEffects (22.0.1). Since, at this point, we had nothing to lose, we decided to install it and see if anything improved.

Thankfully, it did! Older projects with Dynamic Linked .aep files (which is kind of our bread and butter around here) all worked and rendered out just fine. Some of them took a little longer than others to "find", but they all showed up eventually.

I will grant you we only checked a small snumber of projects - just our latest projects -

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Just an update on our side with regard on this dynamic link problem.

As of now with the latest update PP 22.11 AE 22.11 ME 22.11 , the dynamic link is working properly.

I hope also the lumetri will be fix soon.

Ill update here soon if something wrong comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 283 Replies 283
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project had multiple AE comps (all from the same AE project) as well as MOGRT template files. Yes, if I opened After Effects and opened the project that is linked to PPro PRIOR to opening the PPro project, all was well. But, if I forgot, then it was hang, stall, hang, stall, force quit. I also had an instance where I got the project to open and the comps to load (by having AE open and ready prior to launching Premiere) only to have it hang on render with Media Encoder. I could render directly from the PPro app (Command-M), but not thru Media Encoder.

What makes me upset is I came in yesterday morning and opened a PPro project with linked comps, only to have PPro tell me the files were offline. In trying to relink media, I find out AE has updated to Version 22 but Premiere had not. I don't recall having "automatic updates" option checked in the Creative Cloud app, but it was. So I did not actively seek to update my software. It is upsetting that some Adobe folks in this forum write "we don't recommend updating when you are actively working on projects..." ( I am paraphrasing here.) In my case I did not. I too have lost at least a day maybe more trying to unwind this. I appreciate the difficulty of having to manage an app that is used on such a wide variety of platforms, operating systems, etc. But, don't update my software automatically because it's Adobe Max time and you want to show off.

Mac OS 10.15.7, 64Gm RAM 3.6 ghz i9 processor, iMac Retin 5K 2019.

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration.  I've never had CC cloud update any of it's programs without my express authorization except for the CC cloud app itself.  And that was on windows, not the mac.  

If you're on the mac, I strongly recommend that you create a bootable clone and update it regularly.  That way, if things go south, you can easily restore your system to it's previous functioning state.  I use something called CarbonCopyCloner.  https://bombich.com/. It works pretty well and does an incremental backup so updates are pretty fast.  I used it last night before updating my 2012 macbookpro to Catalina so I could update to CC2022.  

I've been working this way for years and set up this workflow for my clients.  It also protects you if your boot drive crashes.  Remember every drive will fail including SSD's.  It's a question of when not if.

Although you can theoretically create a clone on windows, I have never been able to figure it out.   Supposedly windows has the built in ability to "step back" but that also has never worked for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been havind the same problem last couple of days, but i've found that if you first open the after effects project thats linked to your linked comps in your premiere project, and then open the premiere project, its seems to work fine for me and the problem hasn't occured since i started using this method.

So hopefully this helps for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problems with PP + AE started after upgrading to CS AE + PP 2022 with fullspecs i9 MBP 2018

Upgraded to monterey, did trick with DLS folder ... downgraded PP + AE ... nothing works for me

Really need to get to work!!!!

MBP 16" 2018 monterey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point try uninstalling both apps from the CC Desktop app. Sign out of your CC app and shut down/restart the computer.

Go into the CC app, and download/install both apps. See if that jogs things a bit.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

thanks for reply - but do you advice to clean install 'old' PP + AE 2021, or clean install the new 2022 versions?

I've tried both, removing all prefs etc and also media encoder ... but I'll try again. (at this point I'm starting to get really desperate)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere 2021 is available, right click in the dots and select "other versions", install version 15.4.1, you can also keep both versions (21 and 22) on your computer and use them. Be careful with saving your project, please label it exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What infuriates me is that they REMOVED 2021 from the "older versions". I can't find it anywhere to roll it back. Lost hours on a project. When I try to manually locate the no-longer linked comps, it just freezes. I can roll with new releases having bugs, but to REMOVE the 2021 version from being available. Super lame, super duper lame, Adobe. Y U no leave 2021 available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look my answer above, unfortunately slipped into another question... Sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be only one way to get the problem under control (MacOS, MacPro, after backup!): Clean Install of the system, so all old residual data (VAR-folder, Caches, Dynamic Links etc.) are deleted. Then cleanly install both versions of Premiere and AfterEffects. Apart from the still missing linking of AE projects to PR in both versions (14.1 and 22.0), you can work with the software again to some extent. In any case, it worked on two workstations for us.

We created the AE link from old projects again manually. Waste of time...

Everything else makes no sense.

And we are still waiting for a sign from ADOBE..............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I've succesfully downgraded to prev version > removing new versions + prefs and then log out of CC > restart and re-install ... now looking if I can get the job done before deadlines ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, I expect Adobe to let people know there's a problem and how to fix it (Email/Phone...)

Here's what I did that worked: Go to Adobe Support and tell them, they will send you a link to DOWNLOAD 2021 VERSIONS. You will have both (You need PP and AE 2021), and use these. (Open with...)
That's it. Until they fix it use 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no need to request a link as 2021 versions are still available in the creative cloud app and you can also keep earlier versions on your system when you do an update.  I have 2017, 18, 19, 20 and 21 on my system just in case there are issues with an older project.   Unfortunately, afaik, adobe is only allowing downloads of the previous version (in this case 2021) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be only one way to get the problem under control (MacOS, MacPro, after backup!): Clean Install of the system, so all old residual data (VAR-folder, Caches, Dynamic Links etc.) are deleted. Then cleanly install both versions of Premiere and AfterEffects. Apart from the still missing linking of AE projects to PR in both versions (14.1 and 22.0), you can work with the software again to some extent. In any case, it worked on two workstations for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuneately this is my resolve.  I have no choice.  Glad its "working" for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Unfortunately 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the problem after a clean install (formatted) but not immediately. I was working normally yesterday, but a couple of hours ago it started to happen again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here... Adobe Fix this fast!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users may need to "go nuclear" ... using the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool to remove all traces of PrPro and Ae, reboot, and then re-install. I'm on a tablet or I'd paste the link ... but search for that tool.

It would be rather nice if this got just fixed. I think I'll check also on the AfterEffects forum for any comments there. Those people tend to be more savvy on the DL workflows.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but this tool seems like a very exhaustive, damaging and unnecessary solution to a problem Adobe created. Any idea on when they will release the update which solves everyone's issue here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I spent 1 full working day with 4 projects heavily relying on dymanic links (linked compositions in premiere to AE). Rendering time was up nearly 1.5x within after effects, my computer was far choppier, and worst of all I simply couldn't open up my projects and work on them due to dyamic link issues within AE/Premiere.

I've decided best option is to uninstall 2022 versions of adobe software, and stay on previous versions. This will be the first time I've had to do such a thing in 2-3 years.

Unfortunate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just worked with my IT department to solve this problem. AE was referencing the old media encoder. I uninstalled and reinstalled media encoder and then made sure I was using the 2022 versions of all three programs and it is working now... worth a try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only solution i got for this is to run all my adobe programs as administrator so that the dynamic link can have freedom to access every folder it needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

odd that an update would cause permissions issues but thanks for posting your solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines