Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro cc 2018 & 2019 freezes

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having lots of problems with both premiere pro CC 2018 & 2019 and it started to accrue 3 days ago, before that everything ran smoothly on my computer.

After I had issues with the 2018 version I've decided to update to 2019 to hopefully solve the problem. 

The program suddenly freezes with no reason, I can still move the cursor and click on buttons but the source and program monitor are not working. In different cases, it will show me "media pending".

After that, I need to close the program but it won't close until I close it manually from the task manager.

My computer:

Lenovo legion y720

I7

16G RAM

512SSD (The project is on the computer after I thought that maybe the problem is related to my external hard disk)

Geforce 1060 GTX (I've updated the drivers)

I've tried to find a solution online and I couldn't find any, This is a huge problem for me because I'm wasting a lot of time on restarting the program more than 10 times a day.

Thanks,

Ron

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Hey, after pulling my hair out I finally found a version of settings that work flawlessly. The problem for me sounds like it was related to insufficient RAM speed(not capacity) and a weird codec used for my source files. SO I did the following:

Installed HandBreak, and whatever source files from my camera I have, I converted to MP4, Web Optimized, Aling A/V Start on the Vimeo Youtube HQ 2160 p60 4K preset with the Fast Decode checkbox on Video tab active. 

After that, I went into Task Manager an

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I had the same problem. Now I've solved it partly. The problem is Nvidia Geforce 1060 randomly goes to sleep mode when load is small and transfer control (in my case) to built in UHD Graphics 630  and never come back.

The solution is to set up custom Program settings in Nvidia Control Panel for Premiere Pro.

I set up Power managment mode in Prefere maximum perfomance for premiere pro.

The downside of it is that coolers constantly when I use Premiere Pro CC 2019.

I found this solution here:

Driver Power State Failure problem Windows 10 FIX!!! - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely livid with Adobe right now.

Version: Premiere: 13.0.3.

Problem: Every time I open my project, Premiere hangs, I get the spinning beach ball of death. It’s taking so much system memory that I can’t even force quit. Have to give the machine a hard restart.

Tried: trashing preferences, trashing cache, unstalling Premiere, Reinstalling premiere, restarting, opening from autosaves, different projects, on and on.

My system: i7 iMac with 16gb of ram. OS Mojave. Been working like magic until this version of Premiere.

I echo my fellow Premiere users in this thread: I feel like I’ve tried everything and yet Premiere is still not functioning properly (if at all). This is holding me back on my work and livelihood. It’s extremely frustrating and Adobe is losing my support (and patronage) FAST.

I really hope they address this, and stop releasing junk products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello…just fyi…I’m just a user, not an adobe employee. Here’s few things you can try though. If your project is saved on the creative cloud, try 1.saving it on your internal hard drive and open from there 2. If you can get your project open, immediately switch the project window to “list view”, not thumbnail 3. Updating graphics driver. Go directly to the manufacturer website to download and run new driver. Do not use the Control Panel/Update driver route.

Hope this helps, these are the steps that worked for me.

Eugene

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw….16gb RAM doesn’t seem that much…possible to install/upgrade to more RAM?

Eugene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve just started experiencing a similar thing though my problems aren’t so much the crashing. 2 wks ago I bought a new MacBook Pro (32gb ram 2 graphics cards with 4gb vra) and installed PP the same day. It all worked fine until 2 days ago. Seems to be a theme right? Then I started noticing problems outside of PP. I start to play back short clips in finder, at first fine then it struggles to find them, i get the spinning wheel on safari, cursor freezes, Netflix buffers and won’t scroll. If I can open pp I get the media Pending issue. It won’t playback in the timeline or only playback sound. Sometimes when I open it says drivers out of date and won’t complete the opening. It has never crashed tho. I thought it was the mac so I updated the os to Mojave but after initial success it started doing it again. I contacted Apple they said they thought the issue was pp give it was using 150% cpu. Told me to clear nvram and install latest version of pp. did that worked for about 1hr same probs. Spent 5hrs with adobe. They tried to fob me off with graphics card driver out of date said latest version but the op system ensures the aren’t and it doesn’t explain why it does open sometimes. they then admitted the latest version had bugs and the only thing I can do is use the old version. This is after they went onto my computer messed around installed 2 versions then they figure out which was which or if old or new was open. It didn’t look right tons of stuff missing when it was open but she reckoned it was a 3.0 version. so ive now had the issue on 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2. They don’t know what they are doing, don’t have a working product, can’t fix it and have caused overall my laptop to fail. I don’t even know if I can uninstall all the mess she made - if she can’t find her adobe files how can I? I have a ton of work projects in pp. so that’s a pain bit aside from that It’s a nightmare if this has wrecked my brand new MacBook Pro!!

Oh and I don’t gave media encoder on - that wouldn’t shutdown or allow MacBook to shutdown when I first installed at the Apple store so i Think we somehow managed to delete it.I’ve not seen it since.

finally a friend operating a dell system was experiencing lots of crashes and freezes with adobe op. Nightmare. But I had CS6 (pre cc) on the work destop and that only crashed 3 times in a year. Do we have to go back that far?

I really don’t understand why some of us are having major issues and others seem to run fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Can you try going to the manufacture site for your graphics driver. For me it was nvidia. Don’t update driver via control panel. Just FYI I don’t work at adobe. Just another user. Hope That helps.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned this in another post but try, if not already, to save your project on the laptop internal drive, not on creative cloud. See if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been fighting against premiere for months. Version 2018 and 2019 are total shit. I encountered the same problems on 3 different PCs. 3 pcs with different architectures all three very performing. the files of the A7III and Dji are unmanageable. When I asked the Adobe support department for explanations, I was told that the 2018 version had bugs and that we were still using the 2017 version. It's a shame, the only solution I've found so far has been to start using other programs like davinci. P.S. € 600 a year for this disaster.  I repeat, it's a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow…frustrating indeed…on 3 different PC’s too?!

Another thing that comes to mind besides the other steps I mentioned in the thread is that I had to re-install the latest quicktime, even though it’s not supported by adobe anymore. I think I uninstalled one time and things went weird, so I re-installed it.

Another thing….other than the software itself, try keeping project and working files on your internal hard drive, not using the cloud.

See any error codes / warnings showing up during the crashes?

BTW, I don’t work at Premiere, just another user. Plus I can’t see the full thread via email, so not sure which problems specifically you’re referring to.

My other suggestion earlier was also to use the newest driver download DIRECTLY from the manufacturer website, NOT from the OS Control Panel.

Hope these suggestions help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips.

The problems I've encountered are many, from freezing playback to continuous crashes.

I'm really fed up with looking for a solution.

This is a problem of Adobe not ours.

the time I lost is inconceivable. I also risked losing jobs and customers because of these problems.

If Adobe is not able to provide the service for which I pay (a lot) the only solution I see and get back the money and use other software.

The really scandalous thing is that the very assistance of adobe when I asked a hand to solve these problems had told me clearly not to use premiere 2018 because it was buggy. Do you understand? after months of hardship and almost spending € 4k on a new pc they simply told me not to use that version. I was angry.

I have therefore waited for the 2019 version and it is the same.

I lost hope.

I'll give you a solution: do not use premiere v.2018 and 2019. Get your money back.

It's good for those who use the crack for these programs. Steal or be robbed. this is sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah...been there...if anything....go to the creative cloud app and download the earlier versions. Only problem is your newer projects wont open in earlier PPro versions. One thing came to mind....download the newest version of Java at https://www.oracle.com/index.html

Also, if you have third party plug-ins, try uninstalling them(or temporarily move plug-ins into a different folder so they're not loaded during startup)....just continue trying to rule things out.....but yeah....I also spent alot of wasted time in the past.

Also, how much RAM do you have? I have 64gb and i sometimes check the performance during rendering or whatever and PPro is sometimes using 32 plus GB of RAM. Software eats up alot.

If you haven't seen in previous post....always try to use List View in the Project Window. When i was in thumbnail view, the software kept crashing.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Look, I tried everything really. I have formatted the pc, installed a Samsung pro hard disk m2, disassembled, updated, I have sworn, prayed, cried. Nothing worked. The PCs on which I had these problems have from 32Gb of ram to 64Gm with xeon or i7, nvidia quadro or geforce, ssd. they are not bad. I do not think this is the problem. I suspect they are problems related to the type of file you work on. Perhaps due to the fact that the latest versions do not support the most common video codecs according to Adobe "to keep up with the most modern workflows". We are old, my friend iI have not idea, really. I will not waste any more time. Anyway thank you so much for trying to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My recent "Joy" with premiere cc 2018 is that EVERY TIME i press Ctrl+M to export, it's "not responding" for a few minutes. The frustration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. But I find that if I click in the timeline it kind reboots itself and the export window comes up. Hope that helps. Don’t click too soon though. Wait to see that it’s not coming up on its own.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will try...tnx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I had the same problem and was able to solve it. Fortunately for me, I was able to "correct" the issue because I had Premiere Pro crash on me three times in a row - and had saved my work shortly before hand. The issue as I found had to do with when I added three images to my project and tried to add some video transitions between them and video. Now this is the bizarre part, I had plenty of images from the same camera which caused absolutely no problem - but these three, whenever I added them would cause Premiere to fully crash, including lockup my computer. I have a GTX 1060 with 6gb of ram and latest drivers.

So how to fix - well this may be a pain for you if you don't recall exactly when the issue started occurring, but if you do, before opening Premiere re-name some of your source video/photo footage you added just prior to the problem, then open premiere. Premier will identify it cannot find the files you renamed. (This is ok, you renamed them and can locate them if need be). See if the stability of the application returns to normal. Again this may be a bit trickier if you don't remember exactly when the issue started occurring. Once I removed the problematic images, the application hasn't crashed on me since.

I hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go and Check your Screen Resolution and if you using multiple screen give them the same resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having all sorts of really strange problems as well. Mainly lag, though. The software will freeze up for a couple seconds every 3 to 5 seconds. I've tried all the recommended things and more and it is still doing it. I"m not going to waste time posting specs because I, too, have been on live chat with Adobe several times where they took control of my workstation. They cannot solve it. I have the issues on two different workstations. I also have this strange issue where Premiere will duplicate, over and over again, clips in the bins...so there will be multiple copies of files in the bins but only one shot shows that it is being used anywhere in the sequence...unless you drag the other shot in. We have 2 top of the line HP Z series workstations and both have issues with Adobe Premiere. We are replacing one workstation with an even better workstation and I'm also thinking that Resolve is a thing I should get back into.  The constant problems with each new release of Premiere are terrible....now if Blackmagic just made photoshop and after effects knockoffs I'd be set! I think adobe needs to completely rebuild Premiere from the ground up...not just say they rebuilt it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having issues with premiere pro panels freezing. I can still do certain things such as check media bins, sometimes scroll on the timeline but it doesn't allow me to click on the panels. Making video on the timeline shorter or simply moving them glitches as well. Re-opening the project sometimes fixes things for a short time. This is ridiculous paying over 200$ a year for this program and it's not even working properly. 

My PC is a few months old and I just started having this issue over the past few weeks.
i9 9900k
64 gigs of ram

RTX 2080TI

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you update your drivers. i have gtx 1050 ti and premier pro 19 asked to update but i don't know wbere to find the updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

manasa17951108  wrote

i have gtx 1050 ti and premier pro 19 asked to update but i don't know wbere to find the updates

Here:

Drivers | GeForce

Download and install (do a clean install).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Perfect reason why the nested threads are not working for us. This thread is six pages long currently (in the new format) and there is no indication where that new post is... it's not on the last page here, so it's somewhere buried in the thread in a nested comment. Hopefully the poster will see this message and use only the TOP blue Reply button to add messages here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, after pulling my hair out I finally found a version of settings that work flawlessly. The problem for me sounds like it was related to insufficient RAM speed(not capacity) and a weird codec used for my source files. SO I did the following:

Installed HandBreak, and whatever source files from my camera I have, I converted to MP4, Web Optimized, Aling A/V Start on the Vimeo Youtube HQ 2160 p60 4K preset with the Fast Decode checkbox on Video tab active. 

After that, I went into Task Manager and killed everything that uses RAM to let Premiere use as much as possible and as exclusive as possible. 

And then in Premiere in Sequence Settings, on The Video Previews section, I choose I Frame the Only MPEG as Preview File Format and I unticked the Composite in Linear Color bla bla bla... thingy.

Now it works flawlessly even for 4k 60fps footage and the quality loss during handbrake decoding and reencoding is unnoticeable (tested on 4 videos). 

Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an unmitigated disaster. Just paid for Premiere Pro and it's utterly unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working fine for most of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines