Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC Audio Cuts Out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,

So I've switched to the new Premiere Pro CC and now my audio drops out during playback. Doesn't matter if it's an aiff, mp3, whatever. I never had this problem with Premiere Pro CS6. All files are saved to an XServe Network on OS 10.8.4. I'll have to remain using Premiere CS6 for the time being.

Also, just tested this out. I had a TIFF sequence playing with this audio. It did NOT like that. I can play the audio by itself just fine. So it seems to be a problem with playing the video file WITH the audio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Hi,

Audio dropouts:
Audio dropouts could be caused by a number of reasons, so there is no one correct answer. Typically, it is because of one of the following:

1. Insufficient computer resources (hardware not powerful enough for certain media, media files are long in duration).
  2. Materials were not ingested properly (H.264 or HEVC media needs to be transcoded or proxies created).
  3. Out of memory (memory cache is full and needs to be cleared via rebooting or otherwise).
  4. Sequence Settings for audio sam

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 367 Replies 367
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the view count of this thread is pretty indicative of how widespread an issue this is.

Not necessarily.  Every time anyone reads the thread, that count goes up, whether or not that individual posts or has the issue.

Bug reports are what really count.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you suggest we complete a bug report properly if there's no way that we know of to consistently reproduce the problem?

Also, people read the post because they have the problem... so either there are a TON of people with this issue, OR a few of us have read this thread thousands of times. One of those scenarios seems less likely than the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you suggest we complete a bug report properly if there's no way that we know of to consistently reproduce the problem?

Now you understand why Adobe has a hard time fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you even commenting in here? You aren't helpful at all.

Also, no part of me believes Adobe hasn't been able to reproduce it. They just have no idea how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you even commenting in here?

Well, the point of post 97 was to dispel any potential complacency that may result from the false belief that many thread views equates to some kind of action towards correction.

Thread views mean nothing.  Bug reports count.  (But even with those, there's no guarantee of feedback or a quick fix.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jim

With all due respect, I'm not going to debate whether this is an issue or not, as its ridiculous at this point. You can continue to shrug off that 11k people looking at this thread isn't an issue, but that's not the point. (if someone is looking at this thread, they likely are looking for an issue similar of identical to this: no one surfs forums looking to report bugs for fun). I'll be filling another detailed bug report tonight as requested by AdobeCare twitter support, but 85 replies pretty much confirms is not a user error, a mis-configuration, or a hiccup (especially with the wide configurations of people having issues).

As a customer attempting to obtain support for a product, your "shrug it off" attitude is extremely rude and done ALL we can to provide you everything to reproduce a bug in software that we pay a monthly subscription cost

You say bug reports count, but based on the fact that most people have have filed reports (if not multiple),  yet we are still guessing the cause of this issue with almost zero input from Adobe isn't a good sign that the bug reports are doing much. Due to some acct issues my previous bug reports don't show on my user acct, hence why I will be submitting another one, but when can we expect some type of resolution to this matter? Has there been an progress based on the bug reports submitted months ago (which were from olkder versions of CC)? Will this bug see any attention before the next update or will I continue to see new features added before this bug gets vetted, tested and resolved? 

We would just like some update from an official adobe source beside, "we cant re-create this" and "we dont see this as a major issue", as those are both unacceptable excuses from a software development perspective after months of testing and several updates to a software packages thats supposed to "always be evolving and improving".

What can we provide that we haven't providing to get this resolved?

Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

done ALL we can to provide you everything to reproduce a bug

I'm just a user like you, man.

We would just like some update from an official adobe source beside, "we cant re-create this" and "we dont see this as a major issue",

Adobe never said this wasn't a major issue.  I said that for me, it was more of a minor hassle than a show stopping issue.  And the only reason I said that was to explain my lack of data when asked for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update.

I recently just fixed a bug that sounds to be the same as what you all are reporting here.  I'm not promising that a fix for all of the issues in this thread will be fixed in a future update since there haven't been clear steps to reproduce the bug here.

The bug I'm mentioning has to do with the audio prefetch system.  That is, the part of the code that anticipates what audio needs to be played soon, and will read it from disk before it needs to be played.  There was a long standing logic error that could cause that audio to not be read, and that portion will be silent.  So I believe this has been around for quite a while, but I can't suggest a reason why it got worse in more recent versions.

I was able to fix this because I got a clear-cut case from a major broadcaster on a sequence that was whittled down to a few clips and a fairly short sequence (providing media often helps).  The repro case involved playing video and audio out via a third-party transmit device.  However, it isn't the fault of the third-party device (I saw a few comapnies mentioned above in the thread).  I think this affected the timing of everything enough that we ran into this issue.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion on how to work around this bug in currently available versions.  It is a timing issue that could be affected by several things (contributing to how hard it is to spell out steps to reproduce).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for updating us. I understand this fix may or may not help us, but regardless will the fix be included in the next software update?

Also, in this specific case, was the audio cutting out in random parts or at the same spot every time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bricriu wrote:

Thank you for updating us. I understand this fix may or may not help us, but regardless will the fix be included in the next software update?

For what I worked on, it is likely that it will be in a future update.  I can't give details beyond that unfortunately.

Also, in this specific case, was the audio cutting out in random parts or at the same spot every time?

If you're careful, then you can get the dropout to happen at the same spot.  For example, when I finally got a case that I could consistently reproduce the issue, I could get the dropout to occure at the same time (around 9-10 seconds from the start of the sequence) if I always started playback at the very beginning of the sequence.  If I instead chose to start playback at 8 seconds in, the dropout wouldn't occure between 9-10, but instead somewhere else.  If I turned off Transmit (played video and audio only in software) then that changed things (including sometimes no drops at all).  Other things you may want to look into would be changing the buffer size of your audio hardware if playing through non-transmit audio hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I've been following this thread for some time and I've been hoping for a fix as has everyone but today I'm flat out desparate since my audio has dropped out completely. Not intermittently but entirely, on a project that has a really tight turn-around. I hate to cross thread this subject but I really don't have a solution. Please check out this discussion I started:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6073270#6073270

Any troubleshooting suggestions are appreciated at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happens to you guys, do you have any FX applied to the clips in your sequence or does it happen even before adding any FX? I use Magic Bullet Looks a lot and I find that I notice the problem more when after I apply the "looks".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this happen with sequences that don't have any effects. I do find that it appears to get worse the more layers you have. So possibly it happens more with complex sequences - layers, effects etc. It happened to me the other day when I was showing a client an edit and I literally had to stop start stop start every 2 seconds just so we could try watch through to the end. I just kept apologising - it's not very professional!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angelica,

Sorry that happened to you. Glad that lowering the playback resolution helps. Perhaps you can try rendering audio before playing back in front of a client next time. Also, make sure the audio sample rate of your source clips and sequence settings match. Finally, a high speed drive array can help you with audio files not playing back dependably.

Also, as Charles said, there is an upcoming bug fix that will help this issue, as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin - fast reply! Admittedly I am no expert with Premere yet (recently switched from FCP). I really love it - just get frustrated when I run into problems I can't fix. Usually forums give me all the answers, but obviously this one is still being figured out collectively. Looking forward to the bug fix. Thanks again for replying so quickly (it's early morning in Australia...wasn't expecting it!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, no problem Angelica!

I'm an old FCP guy myself.

Things are a bit different with Premiere Pro because the media need not be transcoded. We transcoded just about everything in FCP. Remember "Log and Transfer?" When you have raw media, you need more horsepower, faster drives, sturdier GPUs, a tidier workflow, etc. Having a bug for audio playback doesn't help us, does it? Well, stay tuned for that fix. I hope it totally fixes your issue.

Have a wonderful day in Oz!

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2014 Apr 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC community:

I have two questions:

1) Has this bug been fixed in the most recent update?  I'm currently in a 30 day trial and I noticed a software update has come up in my trial period.  Because I have a trial, it won't let me update the software. 

Most of my workflow involves music video editing.  I've been wanting to switch to CC from FCP for a while, but when I recently took the 30 day trial, I encountered this issue numerous times.  For the most part, I am extremely happy with your product, but unfortunately I'll have to stay with the FCP unless a definitive fix comes.

2) Can a get another 30 day trial to insure your software meets my workflow needs?

Thank you,

Dangerbag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version of the software does exhibit the issue.  The new version just announced may contain the fix.  We'll know for sure when it hits.

Adobe has just recently reset the trials, so whether or not you can get another one will depend on when your last one was.  As you're currently in the middle of it, you won't likely get another chance at the trial this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have personally seen this issue less and less. I can't explain it though, to know whether or not it's b/c of an update or not. It still occurs right after I open a big project and the clips take a while to build. But after all media has loaded I haven't experienced it as much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently also having this problem and it's very re-creatable at a stable point for me as I am adjusting background music in a clip from a particular point.  I have performance monitor up in another window and when this starts it spikes active time, Disk Transfer Rate drops to near nothing, and lasts approximately 2 minutes freezing up the system.

I've had this issue in other items before, but this is the first constantly stable recreation I can make, and wanted to post in this thread having seen it a month ago when I first started converting to using Premiere instead of Pinnacle.

I've saved the project off as a second copy and confirmed both copies have the same issue at the same point.  None of the items in the project are confidential (It's Collective Commons music, Let's Play footage for Youtube, and my voice which you can borrow for this purpose) and if desired I am willing to provide them to Adobe to try to conquer this issue.  I've filed a bug report (which didn't give me a case # of any kind for referencing) as well.

I'm also looking to move to new drives, simply because of other comments in this thread, and will post again if that should fix the issue.  I've got the drives... I forgot to get screws... (and still need to reinstall Windows 8.1, etc) so that will be a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum, WanderingKid. Please report exactly which version of Premiere you are running. The version number is reported in the About box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere Pro CC v. 7.2.2 (33)

EDIT: I want to add that this is not the original issue, my apologies for briefly derailing this, I was excited that I had something that was consistent for you to work with but it's a different bug.  This isn't simply the sound cuts out but the sequence continues.  It's much worse, to the point I'm thinking I have corruption in one of the components that's sending Premiere into a conniption.

I've been doing further troubleshooting with this item, including getting closer to tracking down the exact point in the export where I get a failure with unknown error.  This is not sound related, but video.

Again, my apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having this issue as well - very frustrating - premiere is not usable.

it's terrible and not something i've ever dealt with in my 12 years of editing.

so that said, the latest replies to this thread claim using youtube helps - i noticed my flash needed updating, so i updated.

i will find out tomorrow if it does anything but i've got to say i'm not too positive here...

just going to have to wait for an update from adobe same as i am waiting for rain from the sky out here in CA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem.  Makes it difficult, near impossible to edit anything like a montage or things with music.  Sometimes only one of the tracks will drop out.  Like, the music will cut out but the interview audio continues to play. 

As for the youtube fix.  I just tried it and it doesn't seem to work for me.

I would like to add one thing about my problem.  Not sure if it's really happening this way or is just more noticable under these circumstances but it seems to be more frequent when there is digital peaking or very loud agressive music?  Anyone else noticed this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have found something that seems to help. i downloaded a program called memory clean for mac and noticed it was redlining during PP playback. i then checked memory prefs in PP and changed "optimize rendering for:" from performance to memory.

now i can actually make it through my sequence!

it's a bit scary to watch the memory clean app in your menu bar reveal how little RAM is avail but at least i can get through this 16 audio channel sequence without dropouts... it's the first time in a week i have been able to do this.

NOTE: i can not have any other applications open when editing or it drops out again.

we'll see how long this fix works - i will be right back here if it's not a real fix but figured i'd share my experience in case it helps anyone else.

maybe i should have gone with 16gb of ram instead of saving my pennies!

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines