• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC - PLAYBACK NOT WORKING AT ALL on my big project (over 1 hour duration).

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread that seems to be discussing the same issue:

Video won't preview after v12.1.0 update

But none of the answers on that thread were helpful to my case.

I'm having this problem on Premiere Pro CC 2018 on my Macbook Pro (2012 macbook, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.)

I've never experienced this issue before and it is extremely stressful because I am supposed to make progress on this edit today, but I've spent all day trying to get Premiere to simply work...

My other projects work fine, but when I open this big project I am working on (over an hour long), it does not play or do anything when I press the space bar or the play button.

When I double click on a clip in the timeline, I get the spinning rainbow wheel of death EVERY TIME and then I have no choice but to force quit and I will include here a screenshot of the message I get every time after I am forced to force quit:Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 6.20.44 PM.png

I tried restarting my computer. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Premiere. And NOTHING WORKS. The same problem persists.

As for the suggestion by Vinay Dwivedi: "Then launch Premiere Pro and go to Edit menu>Preferences>Audio Hardware and check if Device class is set to MME, Default Input and output areset to the device you chose from Sound. Also, go to Windows menu in Premiere Pro>Workspace, unselect import workspace from projects option and reset the workspace to saved layouts."

That doesn't work for me...^^^ MME isn't even an option for "Device Class" in Audio Hardware...

I don't think this is an audio problem. It seems to be a playback problem with the timeline, potentially due to my project being very long and complicated.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!! I am on a deadline!!!

-Benjamin

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Hi bens40996051,

As requested by you I am providing the summary of the steps we performed to solve the issue.

The playback issue that you were facing in this case, was because of a sequence corruption due to one of the copied effect (Hard Limiter) on the clips of that sequence. Removing that effect causing the issue helped. Also, we rebuilt the sequence by copying its contents into a new sequence with the same sequence settings. The only effect that was replaced for a quick gain adjustment was Har

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is your media stored and connected to your computer?

Is there ample storage space available on all drives in your system?

Can you open an earlier autosave of your project and see if that will run correctly?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my video files and project files are organized into folders on my external hard drive (3 TB western digital passport, with over 600Gb of free space left on it). My macbook's hard drive has over 250Gb of free space.

I tried exporting the full hour and 22 minute in HD as I normally would, and after it reached about 3% it had an error message:

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 8.23.18 PM.png

The export wound up only being the first minute and 50 seconds...

So then I just re-exported the full project at the lowest quality possible (480p) and this time the whole thing exported.

To answer your question, I just opened the oldest auto save file I could find for this project (august 28th), and it worked just fine. The latest and more important version of this project is still giving me the same problem.

I have noticed that occasionally I can go to the end of the latest version, and eventually I can get it to work, but as soon as I click back to the beginning of the timeline, the problem occurs and I am forced to force quit.

-Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something wrong with the video between 1:50:08 and 1:50:12 on your timeline:

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 3.55.55 PM.png

Go to that portion of the timeline and look at the source file. If it is OK, then re-edit it back into the timeline, re-render the effect (if needed) and then test export.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source file is a 196Gb 3 hour long interview video. I used this giant file throughout the entire timeline.

I just right-clicked on the source file and selected "reveal in finder."

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 10.12.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 10.12.46 PM.png

I then opened the original 3 hour long video file in Quicktime Player and it works fine.

I'm not sure how I could "re-edit it back into the timeline" without having to re-do the whole thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even double click on that segment of the video to check the in and out points of that segment on the original 3 hour video..

If I could, then maybe I would be able to replace just that one piece (if you think that would help?). But when I try to double click on that segment of the video in the timeline, as I said before, I just get the spinning wheel of death and then my only option is to force quit and the whole process starts all over again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blade cuts around the bad area. Replace those areas. Re-create the title that is above the clip.

When you export, do you have Use Previews checked?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to use the blade tool on this clip, the same thing happens. It gives me the spinning wheel and then all I can do is force quit.

Now that you mention it, I think it does have something to do with that title above the clip. When I opened the clip in finder it had the title "FULL INTERVIEW - HQ" and in Premiere in the bottom left panel it also has the same title "FULL INTERVIEW - HQ"; however, for some reason the title of that clip in the timeline is completely different. See picture:

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 11.22.45 PM.png

When I exported (both in HD when it failed and in 480p SD when it worked) I did not have "Use Previews" checked.

-Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas MtD?

(or anyone)

I'm still stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like maybe subclips of the main clip, renamed ... could that be it?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

According to the image that went up, what causes the error is the text layer, delete it, create a new one and place it on another track, and test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make new project and import old one: see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try that, and I experienced the exact same problem.

juanmario​.

I will try right now. I have pieces of text at various parts of this video throughout the timeline. Do you think it is just this one piece of text (at 1 min 50 seconds) that is the problem?

-Benjamn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the error, yes.

I deleted the render files, sequence>delete render files,  but I leave it at their discretion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I followed your instructions from your first comment and it seemed to help, but not fix the problem completely. After I finally was able (with much patience) to delete that piece of text and put in a new one on a different layer. Once I did, it helped a lot, but definitely didn't solve the problem completely. I was finally able to export the full project in HD and the spacebar/timeline finally seemed to be working for the most part, but after the export, the problem seemed to have come back.

Are you suggesting that I delete my render files? Do you think that will fix the problem completely? (I'm not exactly sure what render files are, and what deleting them will do. Is it completely safe for my project to delete them?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can safely delete any render files. Your source footage will remain untouched.

My guess: using a 196GB source file with 250GB available on the internal drive may be somewhat tricky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't that 196GB source file not be a problem, because it is on my external hard drive, which has plenty of space left?

Also, I deleted the render files and then I re-rendered everything, and I am still experiencing the same problem.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another strange thing I noticed you guys:

When I let the timeline sit for a while without touching it, it seems to load to the point where I can scroll through my timeline using the up and down arrows. However, when I try pressing play, the problem comes right back and I can't even scroll through with the arrows after that.

(This is after I recreated that text that someone said might be the problem, and I deleted all my render files and re-rendered.)

-Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm sorry that your problem has gotten worse.

Removing the cache and previews is a usual practice for me

before exporting, which does not cause inconvenience.

However, as the latest version does not behave as expected, I decided to leave it at your discretion.

I hope you fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bens40996051,

As requested by you I am providing the summary of the steps we performed to solve the issue.

The playback issue that you were facing in this case, was because of a sequence corruption due to one of the copied effect (Hard Limiter) on the clips of that sequence. Removing that effect causing the issue helped. Also, we rebuilt the sequence by copying its contents into a new sequence with the same sequence settings. The only effect that was replaced for a quick gain adjustment was Hard Limiter, which was replaced by the Audio gain property.

You may also refer to this link to know more on steps for optimizing Premiere Pro and its export.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2122549

Hope you find it useful.

Regards

Sumeet Kumar Choubey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I'm confused, for years, the messages given by the program served to find the solution.

And now I do not see any relation, to the text with the audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines