Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.2) update available

Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.2) update is available. There are a lot of bug fixes in this update, as well as HiDPI functionality for Retina Display, some new supported GPUs, and Windows 8 certification.

See this page for details:

http://bit.ly/PremierePro602

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the results from my 2600k OC'd @ 4.3Ghz with 8Gb of RAM and a GTX 470.

This pic is with GPU accel

With GPU accel.PNG

________________________________________________________________________________________

The picture below is without GPU accel

Without GPU accel.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have an idea what is going on now. It seems the new update has significantly optimized the Cuda block allocation going on in the background. When I was testing at 16GB of ram I saw far more fluctuation of ram usage going as low as 4GB on the same project that normally pushes 10 to 13GB with all threads active. When all threads are active the ram usage is staying relatively consistent at 8 to 11GB with far less flushing. However with far more ram available it seems the optimizations are triggering some Windows 7 ACPI Power management features that are shutting down cores as not needed even though the actual application really could use the processing to complete the task. Each system board has different ACPI sets that will adjust what Windows 7 does, how, and when regarding power management. This would explain why this is not consistent. This unfortunately is looking like a side effect of optimizations to the Cuda Player Memory allocation and not a bug. Lasvideo you may have to make those registry adjustments after all since this may not be fixable on Adobe's side.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do you think my RAM allocation on my work's Intel 2500 16Gb RAM system will suffer in some manor and not function optimally? Even though I'm not seeing any of the CPU side effects?

The reason I'm wondering is because I'm trying to figure out if I should make the reg edits or not.  Or just wait and see...

My other question is have you seen this problem on any standard Sandy Bridge based CPU's?

Because LasVid is obviously not using a  standard Sandy Bridge system since he has 32-Core's overall.  Do you think it's possible it might also have something to do with CPU architecture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 ACPI Power management features that are shutting down cores

Isn't that easily handled with the "Processor Power Management" setting in the Advanced Power Settings?  I have my Min and Max set to 100%.  Could this be why I see no degredation of performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim - "Isn't that easily handled with the "Processor Power Management" setting in the Advanced Power Settings?  I have my MIn and Max set to 100%.  Could this be why I see no degredation of performance?"

I dont think they have any bearing on this issue. My settings are the same as yours and yet I still manifest the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I took a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went ahead and made the changes in the Registry outlined on page 1 of this thread on my HP Z820 in order to fix the issue with HT. It worked like a charm. I know have full HT activity in combination with GPU support.

Thanks to Eric Bowen and his very large brain!

I only did this after testing my system, conferring with Eric and confirming I was seeing the manifestation of the problem.

DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT KNOWING FOR SURE THIS IS AN ISSUE FOR YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ECBowen wrote:

...it seems the optimizations are triggering some Windows 7 ACPI Power management features that are shutting down cores as not needed even though the actual application really could use the processing to complete the task. Each system board has different ACPI sets that will adjust what Windows 7 does, how, and when regarding power management. This would explain why this is not consistent. This unfortunately is looking like a side effect of optimizations to the Cuda Player Memory allocation and not a bug. ... this may not be fixable on Adobe's side.

Kudos Eric, that's major detective work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, I am having the same bad performance issue with Hyper Threading on my HP Z820 - GTX 570 system.

With the CUDA set to software I see all 32 threads active in the Task Manager

When I select CUDA hardware it drops down to 16 threads , which appears as every other thread is inactive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select CUDA hardware it drops down to 16 threads

That may not be surprising.  The whole point of hardware acceleration is to take the load off the CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't take the load of the CPU, it splits the load within a given time segment. If the CPU can handle more and the requests demand it then the CPU load will still remain high. The GPU acceleration however will allow exponential increase in the amount of data processed at one time so you process twice as much data in a microsecond versus the same data in the same time. That is the part people forget. The acceleration does not always mean half the load split equals less load. It often means processing more data by both in the same amount of time.

The observation Lasvideo has is the same I am seeing here. The Hyperthreading is not occurring when it was before with the exact same project loaded with 6.0.2. When I played this same project in 6.0.1 on this system the load scaled across all threads and it played smooth at 1/2 res or full res. In 6.0.2 it would no longer play smooth at 1/2 res and the CPU would still not use the HyperThreading Cores. When I changed the Playback res to full the playback was horrible barely handling 1 to 4 frames a second and yet the CPU load did not change nor did it thread any better. Increasing the scale from 1/2 to Full always increases the load on the CPU. However with 6.0.2 it did not do that at all. It simply degraded the playback further. To add to this, of the 6 threads actually processing only 1 or 2 were above 40% and those 2 did not peak at 100%. So the threading was not accurate to the load at all. When I made the changes to the registry, everything return to normal and the playback was smooth at 1/2 or full with threading across all cores and the CPU load relecting the change between 1/2 and Full Res.

I am looking for differences with the Caching by the current updates to the player effecting the CPU processing. Memory available or caching changes would effect the CPU threading like this. What I meant by memory was system ram. Thank you for the driver version. I am testing with 301.42.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12GB on the Windows 7 system and 8GB on the Windows 8 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, This test system has 32GB of ram. My client who reported exponential increase in performance has 12GB. Lasvideo has 64GB. Will have to test a lower ram configurations. Thanks for the info.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just let me know if there is anything else you need as you investigate this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a close look at what is going on in my machine and it's really weird. All cores are going full blast. It's the GPU that is not used consistently. It fluctuates between 0 and 40%.

My configuration is: Win7 Pro, 64 gig ram, 3930K at 4.5 gHz and GTX680.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will apply to you or not, but for me my GPU does that all the time. What happens for me and anyone else is that if the video you're exporting has a effect or scaling that uses GPU accleration then you're GPU will pick up. Then as soon as it moves onto something that doesn't use GPU accleration it chills out. For instance programs that I edit for TV often will not use GPU accleration until it gets to one of my Lower-Thirds in the timeline. This is normal behavior. Although I don't know if this is exactly whats going on in your case. But I would suggest checking testing what I've said by taking a clip and splitting it into two pieces in your timeline. Make the first half have nothing done to it at all. Then cut the first clip you put in the timeline in half then scale the 2nd half of the original clip to 90. Then export it, if as soon as the export hits the 2nd half your GPU picks up and stays up until near finished you know it's acting normally. Just make sure to export it so it's set to exactly the same as your seqeunce settings as far as pixel size and stuff anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be nice if someone from Adobe could chime in about this. I don't mind going in and changing something, I just want to make sure I need to do it before I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Eric explained it to me, Adobe really just optimzed its player to allow folks with less memory to get good playback. The issue is more related to how Windows 7 interprets and controls the need for processor power when its sees the GPU doing such a great jog. So it cuts back, much to my chagrin. But not for long! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find out if you need to by watching your cores when exporting with GPU accleration enabled. Although I do agree it would be nice to hear from adobe on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a problem that the CPU never hits over 40-50% when encoding. Before it always hit 70-90%. The GPU is working like before. The % depends on what effects is laid on the clips.

And the program in itself is reeeeaaaally slow! I've tried deleting all preview and cache, no difference then either.

I've den the thing with the regid and it didn't got better. All cores and threads are working.

i7 3930k @ 4.2ghz

32gb memory

Geforce GTX 470

SSD disk for media cache and previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goffeman, do you mean the interfacing with Premiere is very slow or something else? Do you have Aero/Desktop Compositing mode turned off for Windows?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Sometimes it almost freezez when i cut a clip in half or something small and easy like that. And to play a simple timeline with 1080p clips from a 60D starts to studder when it changes to another clip with a fade. Didn't do that before the 6.0.2 update. Everything is slower after the update. Interfacing, rendering,encoding...etc.

Yes I think the aero is on but it was that before to. Haven't changed anything just did the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand... is the GTX680M is available, or only the GTX680 ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely just the 680.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exact same problems. The system is usless now. I'm re-installing the prior version and I hope not to face any more trouble. I'm in the middle of 2 projects and cant afford to wait for the system to respond to my clicks as if it was 1980.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines