Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Hardware Rendering in Mojave

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2013 Cylinder Mac Pro with the D300 GPU's in it and a 6-core. I also updated to Mojave (Probably my first mistake).

My computer before this was a 2015 Macbook Pro with the R9 GPU in it and I used to have the option for hardware rendering in Premiere (CC2018 - High Siera).

I noticed yesterday that the box to select hardware rendering is now greyed out and I only have the option of software rendering. I've done some Google searching but can't find a solution. I am not sure if Mojave has broken Premiere Pro or if the GPU is not supported even though its on the list of supported GPU's on the Adobe site.

This is annoying! I don't want to have to go through the process of downgrading to High Sierra to get it to work but knowing my luck it will take Adobe months to update it if it is a Premiere Pro bug in Mojave.

Anybody have any insight?

Cheers

Oliver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Actually, the OP cannot select the renderer mode in the project settings. It is permanently locked to the MPE software-only mode. This means that either the available D300 drivers or the hardware itself aren't fully compatible with Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oliver,

I know Mojave have deprecated OpenCL, maybe this can help? FAQ: Metal vs. OpenCL

images.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have that drop down at all. I was rendering with Metal on the Macbook Pro but on the Mac Pro the box is totally greyed out to Software Only.

I've also tried reinstalling CC to see if that helps. No such joy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will try that later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have that drop down at all. I was rendering with Metal on the Macbook Pro but on the Mac Pro the box is totally greyed out to Software Only. I've also tried reinstalling CC to see if that helps. No such joy!

Do you mean when you are exporting to H.264, iow that you cannot change the Performance that can be found under Encoding Settings in the Export Media dialog?

If yes, this setting is not dependent on the graphics card. This is a setting that use the Intel Quick Sync feature found on let´s say Intel i7 processors. AFAIK, the thrash can Mac Pro uses Intel Xeon processors and very few of the Intel Xeon processors features Intel Quick Sync and as a result of that Software Encoding is the only option you have.

I see the same on my HP Z440 workstation with a Xeon processor, only Software Encoding for H.264 exports since the Intel Xeon processor lacks the Quick Sync feature needed for hardware encoding. My ASUS laptop with an i7 processor on the other hand can export H.264 using hardware encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the OP cannot select the renderer mode in the project settings. It is permanently locked to the MPE software-only mode. This means that either the available D300 drivers or the hardware itself aren't fully compatible with Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I am going to use a spare drive and test install High Sierra to see if the issue moves with it. This will put this to bed but I have a sneaking suspicion this is a Mojave issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi olivers99004623 I realize that this has already been marked as correct a while ago, but I'm curious. Did rolling back to High Sierra fix this for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple and Nvidia are arguing about drivers and Mojave with the upshot no drivers are available for a lot of cards. The OP's card is likely one of them. This is quite the issue in the Hackintosh arena at the mo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines