Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Importer: duration dependent on prefs

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I implemented an importer which calculates the duration of the imported clip using prefs which can be changed by the user. This works if only a single instance of the imported clip is present.

When multiple instances of the clip are present and each one has different duration because of different prefs, Premiere sets the last calculated duration to all instances of the clip.

Why does Premiere think that the duration of a clip is always independent of the stored preferences?

What can I do?

Best Regards

-Bjoern Gdanietz-

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Hi Bjoern,

I see the problem you're seeing.  Our titler behaves differently, and more like you're expecting, which is a good case for our importer API to follow the same approach.

Good feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Why does Premiere think that the duration of a clip is always independent of the stored preferences?

PPro doesn't think anything; it asks your importer.

The behavior you've described doesn't sound like the behavior of the SDK's SDK_Importer sample; why and where does your plug-in's behavior, depart from the sample? Is yours a synthetic importer? Stills?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My importer is like the custom importer but instead of modifying the imported file, the changes are stored in the prefs of the imported clip instance.

The importer is a generator for graphical overlays (lower thirds and such).

A given file contains all information necessary for animating and rendering the overlay. (Textures, Geometries, Animation, Text and Timing for In/Pause/Out state)

So the file itself represents a basis for the graphics to be generated.

The workflow is the following:

- You choose your template file and drag it into Premiere.

- Doubleclick on the clip to change text and timing. (Stored in the prefs of the clip.)

- Use the clip in the sequence.

- If you need to change text and timing again ... go back two steps.

If you need a second instance of the clip with different text and or timing, just import it again and configure it by double clicking.

And there is my problem:

The duration set in SDKFileInfo8->vidDuration during the imGetInfo8 call is automatically set to all instances. But the instances themselves would each report a different duration because of the data stored in their prefs.

Lets imagine we have three instances of the same clip with different configured timings:

A: 2s

B: 1s

C: 3s

And the last clip you modified using the setup is B.

Now all instance are reported to have the duration of 1s.

Even worse:

You don't have to have multiple instances of the clip in your project to reproduce this behavior. Just use the media browser to preview your clip and the resulting call to imGetInfo8 (for the preview instance without prefs) will reset the durations of the instance in your project (with prefs).

If you have set the SDKFileInfo8->mayBeGrowing flag to true the media browser will reset your duration periodically.

> PPro doesn't think anything; it asks your importer.

But PPro is misenterpreting my answer.

It asks my importer: "How long is this clip when using these preferences?"

And it's using the answer for all clips ignoring the different preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've successfully exceeded my (stale, old) Importer API depth!

Zac Lam knows more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bjoern,

I see the problem you're seeing.  Our titler behaves differently, and more like you're expecting, which is a good case for our importer API to follow the same approach.

Good feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Should I request this feature somewhere somehow

or is it already filed and I can lean back and wait for the next version of the API?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines