• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro - Insufficient Media Error - Please help!

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone!

I'm working in Adobe Premiere Pro (CS3), taking 3 thirty second video clips, and putting them together, along with an audio track, to make a 1:30 video background with music.

I'm trying to apply a short cross dissolve to each of the video clips. When I do, I get an error message that there is insufficient media and some frames will be repeated.

This is a mystery to me, because each of the thirty second clips is clearly longer than the cross dissolve transition.

The transitions seem to play fine in Premiere, but do not appear to show up in any render so far (I've tried .avi, .mov, and .wmv)

Any idea why I might be getting this error, and how I can correct the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

my clips are longer than my transition in terms of duration.

I there any way I can "add" handles?

The full Duration of the Clips is long enough, but your Handles are not. These are "created" when you set the In & Out Points on the Clip.

If your Clip has a tiny triangle at the Head, and/or Tail, that means that it has zero Frames as Handles. Reset the In & Out Points to get the Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know but I just dont understand how to do it these explanations just dont make sense to me. I tried to drag the triangles and it wont let me it just drags the entire clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The triangles are just indicators, like a road sign that says, "Dead End". They let the editor know there aren't any more frames of video beyond the in point or the out point or both (whichever ones have the triangle).

An easy way to create the handles necessary for a transition is just to overlap the outgoing clip with the incoming clip by however many frames are needed for the transition.  So if you need a 30-frame transition, set the playhead 30 frames prior to the out point of the outgoing clip and then drag/drop the incoming clip on top of the outgoing clip by lining up the in point of the incoming clip with the playhead. 

Drop the transition at the cut between the clips and set the transition to "Start at Cut".

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried to do it the way you explained jeff but it still didnt work. Im just not getting this concept. I cant believe im on a forum for video editing and no one can put up a quick video explaining this! im about at the point that i would pay someone to put a video of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2013 Mar 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just now getting a chance to get to my computer and try this out. Thanx for your help and video Jeff i highly appreciate it! I tried it out and it did work, however my main use of editing is music videos. This would throw off my sync wouldnt it? I havent tried it on a lip sync yet but it looks like this would throw it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesnt!

The audio and video are linked.

You are kind of over thinking this.

I suggest you think about editing as "cuts only".  You will find that you never use the entire clip from head to tail ( ie. very 1st frame , very last frame ...camera start to camera stop)

You make your IN and Out edit points where the shot works and that automatically gives you "handles" to which you can apply transitions.

Even easier is to make your IN and Out points in the Source Monitor before Insert or Overlaying it to the Sequence.  YOu will see the "handles" indicated in the bottom of the Source Monitor once you have set Ins and Outs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i meant to do that last reply to shooternz...sorry jeff i think you do understand what im trying to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the audio and video are linked, then you won't have any sync issues.  If they're not linked, then just move the audio the same number of frames as the video.

If the audio is one long take or file, then razor the audio to create cuts at the same location as the sync'ed video.  If you do that, then moving one segment of audio won't affect the sync of the rest of the track audio..

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think you misunderstand, i do music videos...i have to sync my video to separate audio....any moving of the video  would throw off the lip sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[post rendered irrelevant and hence removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea after i thought about it your both right it wont be affected.  Well thanx all for the help! its good to know i have a place to come to and get a answer about something! very much appreciated. Jeff if you was to put that video on youtube im sure it would get thousands of views i know im not the only one that has run into this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i meant to do that last reply to shooternz...sorry jeff i think you do understand what im trying to say.

I understood exactly what you said.  Its just that you were wrong ( due to your inexperience)

To confirm that it is not an issue...millions of edits have been made for music videos that have transitions in them...and the synch is fine.

You just need to learn how to work with linked video and unlinked video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i had a video to do and it was time to apply this method and just as i thought it throws the sync off. like i was saying last time, my video and audio are separate when i put them on the timeline. so when i move video like shown in jeff's video my audio stays in the same place making the sync off. do you guys understand what im saying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means you are not doing this fundamental edit process correctly or understand the advice given.

If you do anything to synched video/audio  you do it to both audio and video tracks.   (frame for frame.)

Are you still struggling to make a transition or is this now a synch issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link the video and audio first, or Group the video and audio first, or do like shooternz said (and like I said in post #32 ) and move both the video and audio the same number of frames.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to chip in here Jeff, but to me your post needs an extra word "separate" to avoid ambiguity.

"Link the video to the SEPARATE audio first".

dnice423,  your video must have some audio linked to it as shot by the camera - even if it is silence.  When you trim the ends of the video clips to create the video handles, because these two are linked, this audio is trimmed too.  But this audio stays synched to the video.

To trim your separate audio in synch with the video, you must transfer the linkage of the video to this separate audio.

To do this, R click the video clip,  and select Unlink. Now hold down shift and R click on the separate audio clip that you wish to link to the video, and click on Link.  This separate audio clip is now linked to the video clip.

If you now trim the ends of the video clip, the separate audio will be trimmed too and the two will stay in synch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont know why it seems like everybody here dont understand what im trying to say. The screen shot i posted earlier was just an example and yes that audio was linked to the video....but like ive been saying my main use of editing is music videos  and i have to lip sync the video to go with the separate audio, has anyone here ever watched a music video (The audio that was captured with the camera is not used only the video is used from the original footage) Do you guys understand now? So i lip sync my video to a separate audio track, then when i use this method of moving the video to apply handles my video moves and my audio stays in the same place, therefore throwing off the lip sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know any other way to explain to you how to do this beyond what I've already said.  Hopefully someone else will be able to describe it in a way that you will understand, but I am out of ways to try to communicate it to you.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff moving video and audio throws off everything in the timeline when someting is lip synced...Its looking like im going to have to use magic bullet looks for my CC (which i dont want to do). Since i can use MBL inside PP and my clips wont be linked to AE and i can just simply drag and drop my cross dissolve with no problem. For this suite to be so expensive and its such a problem to add a cross dissolve to a clip after using dynamic link is considered a flaw in the system to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read and tried my post 41?  It describes exactly what you need to do.

I do not edit music videos, but wildlife, and I have exactly the same problems as you do, but with "beak-synch"!  So I am quite sure that I understand the problem you are describing.  The method that I describe there ensures that "beak-synch" is maintained however I shift/trim the video clips.

If you cannot understand that post, then like Jeff, I cannot see how I can do any more to assist.  I am sorry, but there it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help you to checkerboard your video, alternating between video track 1 and track 2 then add your fades to the start and ends of the videos on track 2. You will then be able to see the handles. If you want to make the video on track two longer or shorter, alt click the video clip to select it and the drag out the ends to make the correct length.

I do a lot of classical music videos and all my footage is on different tracks, the last edit I did had 35 video tracks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im glad someone understands, im about out of options using the dynamic link so i will give it a try....For those that dont understand here is a perfect example which im pretty sure everyone has seen....Its the allstate commercials where different peoples lips are synced to go with the black guys voice, this is perfect example to put in perspective of what im trying to say, and this is how music videos are made if you didnt know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any take on this discussion from an adobe administrator on this problem with dynamic link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tantrum.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea this about sums up how i feel about this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines