• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro - Insufficient Media Error - Please help!

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone!

I'm working in Adobe Premiere Pro (CS3), taking 3 thirty second video clips, and putting them together, along with an audio track, to make a 1:30 video background with music.

I'm trying to apply a short cross dissolve to each of the video clips. When I do, I get an error message that there is insufficient media and some frames will be repeated.

This is a mystery to me, because each of the thirty second clips is clearly longer than the cross dissolve transition.

The transitions seem to play fine in Premiere, but do not appear to show up in any render so far (I've tried .avi, .mov, and .wmv)

Any idea why I might be getting this error, and how I can correct the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

my clips are longer than my transition in terms of duration.

I there any way I can "add" handles?

The full Duration of the Clips is long enough, but your Handles are not. These are "created" when you set the In & Out Points on the Clip.

If your Clip has a tiny triangle at the Head, and/or Tail, that means that it has zero Frames as Handles. Reset the In & Out Points to get the Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screen grab of your timeline please.

Need to see how you have your clips in the sequence.

Why are you talkng about "Dynamic Link" ?

Why are you mentioning "Magic Bullet Looks" ?

Can you tell us if you have managed to do a simple transition without any error messages regarding insufficient media.?  ( forget about your audio issue for the moment).

Its the allstate commercials where different peoples lips are synced to go with the black guys voice, this is perfect example to put in perspective of what im trying to say, and this is how music videos are made if you didnt know.

There are many ways to make  music videos and many members of this forum are very well skilled and experienced at making them..without the issues you are having!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, give me a second on the screengrab. Im talking about dynamic link because thats the only time i get insufficient media error is when i use dynamic link to do my CC...I mention Magic bullet looks because i dont have to use dynamic link to use that and i just drag & drop my cross dissolve and it works fine & i dont get a insufficient media.  My point is as of now using magic bullet is my only option as of right now but i dont want to use MBL i want to CC in AE using dynamic link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im talking about dynamic link because thats the only time i get insufficient media error is when i use dynamic link to do my CC

That changes the entire  nature of this thread! 

You should have mentioned that up front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mention earlier that i was using dynamic link for my CC....And i thought my screen shot from last week would of indicated that by the purpleish tint...but heres a screenshot as you can see my audio is one continous track any moving of the video throws off lip syncdapper.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so no response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go from cut to cut on your video track.  Press the Down Arrow to do that.  When the playhead moves to the next cut, press Ctrl+K to razor the audio track.  Do this for all the cuts in your video track.  When you're done, link all the new audio segments with their corresponding video segment.  Overlap the video/audio segments like you were shown before to create the handles needed for your dissolves.  Add the cross dissolves to the video track and cross fades to the audio track.  Done.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once i use the dynamic link i can no longer stretch the video i can only move the whole entire clip which then throws off the sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're losing sync then you're doing it wrong.  I don't know what else I can say.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you "moving the clip" or "stretching" the clip.

Of course it will go out of synch against an unlinked audio track. 

What are you trying to achieve? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because jeff said to apply the handles like he showed in the video. In the video he clearly dragged the whole clip just like i did and this is throwing it off...dont worry about it guys i give up! i will just be a editor that is not able to use a cross dissolve lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were also given the most fiundamental /basic advice about where to make your In and Out points when you made the edit  on a clip in the first instance.

Here it is again:  If In & Out Pointsare inside the clip by at least as much as your transition length...you will NEVER have an issue of "insufficient media".

Try just making an edit and a transition without the complication of a dynamic linked clip.

This is about at he limit of what I can advise you any more apart from being in the room with you. Sorry.

i will just be a editor that is not able to use a cross dissolve lol

This may  just prove to be true if you added " the only" ...and dropped "a" ...before "editor"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  realize that this is probably banging my head against a brick wall but I do not like to be beaten.  I have ignored all previous advice and gone back to the base problem.

Your monolithic audio track is the key - all timing is related to this, so lock it.

Trim each original video clip in the source monitor of Pr to the lexact ength you want to use.  Extend each end of the clip by EXACTLY HALF THE LENGTH OF A TRANSITION (you will find life easier if you have all transitions the same length.).

Process your video in AE.  Do not alter the length of the clip.  Bring it back into Pr.

Open each clip in the source monitor, and trim  EXACTLY HALF THE LENGTH OF A TRANSITION from each end of the clip.

Place the trimmed AE clip on the timeline, and synch it with your locked monolithic audio track.  Repeat for all clips.

Where these trimmed clips but against one another you can apply a transition, as there is the necessary handle of additional material present for the transition.  Doing the trimming away from the timeline avoids any upset to your main audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im still too frustrated to try the cross dissolve again, i might try again on my next project which is in a couple of days...but heres the end result of the video i was working on. This video just seemed like it needed the cross dissolve for the feel of the song, i just wish i didnt have to use magic bullet for CC just to get my cross dissolves in. Im not too proud of this work and its definitely not my best work, Also i am a new to DSLR so i already know this was a little over exposed...also it is rap music, dont know if anyone here likes rap but its not that bad... http://youtu.be/kyAr-ypQPPI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear!  If I had known that was what all this was for, I would have kept quiet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watched the video and I noticed..CROSS DISSOLVES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you noticed cross dissolves because thats the only way i could apply them was by using magic bullet within PP. Which i said i didnt want to do but it was my only choice...im about to work on my newest project i might give the cross dissolve another try again but my hopes arent too high knowing i will be using dynamic link and my video has to be lip synched.... @allen why would you have not helped me if you knew this was what it was for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dnice423 wrote:

.... @allen why would you have not helped me if you knew this was what it was for?

Not my style of music!  But it was meant as a joke, hence the

Also we are not sure that I have provided any help as yet.  I shall be interested to know how you get on.

At least you do not have the synch problem which can occur with wildlife video due to the often distant talent.  Often with my projects, I have to move the bird call forward on the timeline from its true position, as it appears to be out of synch, due to the time lag between video and audio reaching the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea i figured some would not like rap music here, thats why i pointed out that it was rap, so if someone didnt like it then they would know not to click on it....Wildlife is not my thing either but im always open to watch a fellow editors work and i would never down ones passion as i am very sensitive to that myself....not sure if i understand what you mean when you say your interested to know "how i get on" If you meant the cross dissolves, i already stated that i used MBL for my CC and cross dissolves work with no problem when CC with that, just drag & drop. Why are you getting the Insufficient media? Do you CC using dynamic link also? I think my problem is a little more complex than yours as i am having to deal with lip sync. For wildllife seems like you would just need to adjust sounds to movements or whatever is going on in the video. Just move the bird call onto a separate track on top of your original sound and adjust the volume so that it sounds natural.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we know the problem!!  Make your clips longer before sending them to AFX, this will give you some handles on their return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont matter how long my clips are i still get insufficient media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to Jeff Bellune's video in post #28:

Jeff, your taking the time, and posting of your small tutorial video, exemplifies you as a true teacher, a gentleman, and truly, a scholar.

As a large number of others would be, "quick on the draw" to spout out to those in question, ...RTFM, you took the time to make sure that the concise procedure was explaned.

Thank you.

On to my question.

I also have come up against this same error message, and the clips that gave me the trouble, were the clips that I set an IN point, and then set the OUT point, and then did a Ripple Delete.

Now, in doing that Ripple Delete, the two opposing clips came together, as is normal procedure for a Ripple Delete.

Where those two clips came together, after the Ripple Delete, is where the triangles appeared, thus giving me this, not enough media for a Transition error.

So, did I do something wrong?

Is it not, "politically correct" within APP to do a Ripple Delete?

One would assume, that it was through APP's own fault, that those two joining clips, "now", do not have enough IN/OUT handles to perform the Transition.

Or, is there something else one must do, either prior, during, or after a Ripple Delete, to ensure that the resulting clips, will in fact, have ample IN/OUT Handles?

And lastly Sir, is there another way to "Add" handles to the clip, other than, "overlapping" them?

I have read every posting in this Forum topic, and saw the example of, "stretching" the clip until enough Handles are present. Would that not alter the duration of the clip?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the clips that gave me the trouble, were the clips that I set an IN point, and then set the OUT point, and then did a Ripple Delete.

Now, in doing that Ripple Delete, the two opposing clips came together, as is normal procedure for a Ripple Delete.

Where those two clips came together, after the Ripple Delete, is where the triangles appeared, thus giving me this, not enough media for a Transition error.

The only way I can think of that this would happen would be if you made a subclip out of a clip with the modified in/out points.  Pr would discard any extra frames that exist in the master clip, and would treat the in/out points as "hard" clip boundaries, with no media available beyond either of them. Is that what's happening to you?

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Bellune wrote:

Is that what's happening to you?

Jeff

Jeff, here is my scenario.

On one single video line, I had three small individual clips, butt to butt.

Put the IN marker, half way through the second clip, and the OUT marker, half way through the third clip.

Then did the Ripple Delete.

Would that have done it, being that they were actually two seperate clips?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried to do it the way you explained jeff but it still didnt work. Im just not getting this concept. I cant believe im on a forum for video editing and no one can put up a quick video explaining this! im about at the point that i would pay someone to put a video of this.

Jeff has now done you an excellent  vid that should help.

Basically though...a transition requires an overlap of media ( frames).    If you layed the ends of your clips on top of each other so they overlapped...they are the spare frames that create the transition.   The overlap is the "handles".

So to create "handles" requires the In and Out edit points on the clips...to  be  made  inside ( within)  the total duration of each clip. 

The edit point needs to be  = to ,  or more than the duration of the transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, Premiere Pro... the program you have to jump through hoops to perform the simplest of task.  There is always some fix or trick to just to get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines