• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview Screen Goes Black when I try to add a LUT

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated Premiere Pro recently. I'm editing this video and I added an adjustment layer so I can start doing color, but when I input a LUT, the preview goes black. I even tried adding the LUT to the individual clip itself but it still went black. I can see the sequence thumbnail in the project bin is updated with the LUT, but not the actual preview screen I need to edit with. No matter where I try to input a LUT, the preview screen will just go black.

I'm guessing it's a problem with Lumetri that needs to be fixed. I hope it gets fixed soon because I love using Lumetri for quick color correction and my job requires me to edit a bunch.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried turning off GPU acceleration?

File->Project Settings-> General. Then Select Software Only under Renderer?

Im guessing you might have CUDA acceleration on?

If this fixes it, it's a GPU Acceleration issue. Make sure your graphic card drivers and software are all up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the problem seemed to resolve it's self. I didn't open premiere for at least a day and when I reopened my project and added a LUT everything was normal. I did tinker around with the GPU settings but nothing seemed to work at the time.

My computer is a 2012 Macbook Pro so I assume it's getting to the end of the line rather quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do check with Jason's info on your machine ... he's spot-on.

Next ... how about giving us some data on your hardware ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM, and for this the driver used by your video card.

Typically this kind of thing is either because your hardware isn't adequate for the needs of Lumetri (it's kinda picky) or because you've got a driver issue going on. If the graphics aren't up to working Lumetri, you'd need to do as Jason says. If it's a driver issue, get that fixed and you should be able to use Mercury Acceleration.

We won't know until you give us the data I've asked for.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2012 Macbook Pro

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

16gb

Graphics:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

However, the issue seemed to resolve itself. I didn't open my project file for a day or so and when I reopened it everything was back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue.  It was a bad LUT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about that too but it was applying to all of my LUTs. Including the ones built into Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was applying to all of my LUTs. Including the ones built into Premiere.

I did notice the same behavior, but only after I tried the bad LUT.  Restarting PP solved the issue for the native LUTs, but as soon as I tried that bad one again, it ruined them all and I had to restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very useful comment, Jim.

Lumetri has some interesting quirks. It takes the entire village to figure some of them out.

I'd prefer fewer ... quirks. We all hope for the best!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem, and posting my solution here for what it's worth.

I usually copy my LUTs into (show package contents on Premiere application) -> Contents -> Lumetri -> LUTs -> Technical. This way they show up in the Lumetri panel.

3 things I've found:

• if I open a project and have added LUTs to that folder since the last time I opened it, then the LUT I had chosen in the Lumetri panel will likely be wrong, forcing me to go through each clip (or adjustment layer) and re-apply the correct LUT
  • if after correcting the LUT it only shows black (as per original post), if I select "none" for LUT and then toggle back to the correct LUT then it will show correctly
  • For some reason, if I export a project using Media Encoder it will ignore the LUTs.

But at least I solved my black preview screen problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is NOT a good idea, to add your own LUTs/Looks into the application package or "program files". When Lumetri was first added, that worked ok ... but they made a change around the build series that was 2015.3/4 versions, and since then, that can cause all sorts of weird things.

They do now have specific locations that you can add your own LUTs/Looks that will be viewed by the appropriate slot, either in the Basic tab or the Creative tab. Here's the table they have to show where to set a folder in both Macs and Pc's.

Neil

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that change. I'm on a Mac, latest OS and latest version of Premiere and I do not have any folders under Adobe/Common for LUTs. Should I create them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea,you have to create them. Works great.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced the same problems you had. Most of the time, re-starting premiere AFTER saving a copy on the new PP version would fix the freaky LUT issue.

As for AME ignoring LUTs, I also faced this problem and had 2 solutions.

1- LUTs must be copied to both Premier's and AME Package folders, that's previously. I believe you will not face this problem following what Neil suggested.

2- in AME turn off "Import Sequences Natively" seemed also to fix the problem.

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, MediaEncoder will 'see' the LUTs in those folders of that chart. And for most things, un-checking "Import sequences natively" in Me's preferences is a wiser option. Except for a couple situations, where you need it checked. And at the moment, I forgot what export situation needs "import natively" active. Dang!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe it's something related to RED footage and RED sequences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines