• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Window Stuck Off-Screen. Any ideas?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-- I'm running Premiere Pro CC 2018 on a macbook pro 15" running High Sierra 10.13.3 --

I had previously opened Premiere at home with my dual monitor setup. Now I'm on the road and when project opens the top windows are off-screen:

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 8.01.40 PM.png

When I select a different window arrangement, it gets worse:

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 8.02.05 PM.png

I can drag the bottom of the window and resize it but I can't get to the top to arrange it.

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 8.02.23 PM.png

Here's how I have attempted to fix it:

- Hooked up an additional monitor. When monitor is attached I can move windows, but the moment I unplug monitor, the windows go back to original off-screen position (no matter where I had placed them while add'l monitor was running).

- I uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere. Same problem as before.

- I restarted Premiere while holding the option key (to trash preferences). Problem still there.

- I created a new project. No change in problem.

Anybody have a good idea? Thanks!

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

SOLVED: Using a finder window I searched for "Layouts" and found the Premiere Pro layouts folder. I deleted all files inside that. When I restarted my windows were back to normal. (All my previously saved custom workspaces were gone, so I made new ones.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Command+\ worked for me, just brings the entire app to take up the whole screen (in Premiere), easy. THIS is the correct answer. The answer that is marked correct requires you to delete your preferences which is totally unecessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION (MAC) :

-Uncheck your dual monitors in Preferences

-Shut down Program

-Restart program holding down the Alt key to reset preferences.

My window configs were also still there, only thing i had to do was reset my keyboard layout back to FCP7.

Hope this helps....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window --> workspace --> reset layout. It will resize according to your native resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found the answer in After Effects. As when your adjusting the size of an image in Photoshop, AE works the same for the workspace. You hold shift+option when dragging from an edge & it resizes all sides equally. Fixed!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with 2 external monitors at home, but disconnect when I go out.  I tried most of what was above, except I didn't want to delete my layouts. My entire program was running off screen, I could hotkey APPLICATION WINDOWS (System Preferences/Mission Control) and see the whole thing but when I click on PP it whisks away.   On a lark I moved my mouse over to that edge thinking that if the software was off screen, maybe my mouse would go to.  Well it didn't go off screen but it did show me the resize function for PP windows.  I dragged it out and had the PP bar show up too!  Was able to pull the program across and resize.  It's back!  It seems like such a dumb thing that would work and I don't know if it will help anyone else, but I had to share this fix in case it does.  Hey ADOBE make collect windows command or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try holding down the option key and resize the window. Worked for me. the window will resize from all sides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me.  window on second screen, Mac, CC2018 or 19.  It does changes the dimensions of both sides, but the top of the window conveniently remains off-screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did work for me.  CMD+\ did not.  Probably versions have different commands.  Bridge 13.0.2.636

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the exact same issue and solved it fairly quickly (by luck I should add) after seeing what other people wrote. I launched Encoder and it was stuck high up to the top left of my screen. Solution was...

1. Create new workspace "Phils new workspace" (doesn't move the window).

2. Then select Revert Workspace. This moved the window down so I could grab the top and move it, but it was still too big and I couldn't shrink it because I could click the bottom edge of the screen.

3. I then went back and selected Delete Workspace and deleted the one I had just created, and the window automatically set itself to the Default Workspace and fitted the Encoder window precisely to my MacBook Pro's screen.

Hope that helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an easy fix, which was to go to Window, then workspaces, and change my workspace to a different layout.  For Example:  If I have the issue in the assembly window, then go to the audio editing workspace, then click back on the assembly workspace and the title window was gone.

This was easier than deleting my own custom workspace, etc. etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem with Dreamweaver. This worked for me for Multiple screens on my Mac.

Go to settings, Display -> Arrangement. Arrange the displays so the tops align.

display-screenshot.jpg

This solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down  option + shift + spacebar (for Mac) then click and grab (Your'e welcome) follow me on Instagram @ahmadprincelee  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does nothing for me, just moves all sides of the window except the top which stays offscreen.

edit: played with this some more, I'm on Mojave btw.  My windows open offscreen on my secondary monitor.  If I command+option+shift+click on the window edge WITH THE RESIZE ARROW VISIBLE, this is what works for me.  It moves the window down onto the screen.  What a miracle.  Ok now I will thank ahmad503​ , the comment did lead to a solution I can work with, even though I still find this to be an unnecessary bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think everyone's missing the point here..theres a lot of annoying workarounds, but this has been an issue for years and years. Adobe just needs to make their crap work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix for Mac users:

This was killing me. I think it was mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but if your windowing issue is caused by having multiple monitors, the fix for Mac is to go to System Preferences / Displays / Arrangement. Then, in the window that shows your monitors, move the little white bar the designates the "main" monitor to another monitor. That should snap premiere out of it and re-size the off-screen window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why in the world does this tread say "answered", it isn't answered at all besides deleting all preferences and starting from scratch. This seems to be an very common problem that Adobe hasn't addressed! WHAT'S THE DEAL, ADOBE!?

Adobe customer support, rant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIRST OF ALL, sorry guys but you're all wrong.You're making it more complicated than it should be.

It's actually a pretty easy fix. Go to the bottom left hand corner of the window (since you can't reach any other part of the top) So...Go to the bottom left hand corner of the window, hold down Option and double click. The window will resize automatically.

Just in case I found this video online to show you:

Adobe Premiere Pro is Stuck Off Screen - HOW TO FIX! - YouTube

You're welcome fellow filmmakers!

Follow my crazy adventures in the industry @jalenjames on IG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All -

MAC MOJAVE Pro Vega 20 / PR 19 13.1 (Magician - is it called this because it likes to play houdini where did I go games???)

Yet again premiere STOPPED ME DOWN for countless minutes (so many stop downs for stupid things) and gave me this issue.  Not sure if it was mentioned - but what worked for me - as I could see no top gray bar nor the bottom of the window or the left side -  (just one lonely right side of the premiere app - sorry I didn't screen grab it) - meaning, my mac didn't give me an option to resize it up and down, just side to side, no matter what buttons pushed.  Also show all windows in dock, of course did nothing but tease me with seeing all of the window, and then, no matter what config of buttons I pushed on app, just resized back to the stupid no good view.  Also - anything else I tried, it reverted right back to the same awful unusable app positioning.

Anyway - I have 3 screens.   I have my middle 4k screen be the main monitor, my laptop (Mojave) usually sits idle or with chrome (I know - RAM stealer!) and finally my right screen, my NEC color calibrated 2k monitor for playback.  This is where my premiere app settled this morning,  for who knows what reason, when I turned on my laptop this morning and opened the app.   (starting my morning out in such an agreeable nature.....)

So, after trying everything listed that didn't work (and I think this was somewhat mentioned)

THE SIMPLE fix that worked - (and really writing this to finally express my anger at all the things that continuously slow me down based on how badly this program works, that I've paid so many years for doesn't work....!!!  Often making me wish I had the trusty (only crash-able) avid at my home office .  (....though I do like some things better on PR....))

(THIS IS THE FIX)

open up display settings, gather windows, arrangement (just so it all stays in one place)

Move the "main menu bar" in arrangement to my 2k monitor (where premiere is sitting) - this forces it to jump to another window.

I believe I minimized the program window, very small.

Then, I quit premiere. 

Then, I moved the nav bar in my settings back to the main monitor (Middle - which I set so popups always came up on this screen and not my laptop)

Then I reopped premiere!!

(That should be it)

Amazingly, iIt opened on my laptop or main screen (sorry, I should have paid more attention, but every other thing here listed didn't work and I was getting angry I would have to TRASH my settings.  BECAUSE WHY IS THIS A SOLUTION TO EVERYTHING????)

and problem was fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That worked fast! I removed the layouts in the Layouts folder and opened the program and it was back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIRST OF ALL, sorry guys but you're all wrong.You're making it more complicated than it should be.

It's actually a pretty easy fix. Go to the bottom left hand corner of the window (since you can't reach any other part of the top) So...Go to the bottom left hand corner of the window, hold down Option and double click. The window will resize automatically.

Just in case I found this video online to show you:

Adobe Premiere Pro is Stuck Off Screen - HOW TO FIX! - YouTube

You're welcome fellow filmmakers!

Follow my crazy adventures in the industry @jalenjames on IG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that just pressing Command+\ (macOS) will snap everything into view on the monitor. I assume Control+\ does the same thing in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold the option button and double click the bottom left corner. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with InDesign: with multiple monitors (Mac laptop and external), only the bottom half of the InDesign window was visible on my laptop screen. I tried several solutions but none worked. Here's what I figured out I could do:

1. Use Display preferences to mirror the two monitors. The InDesign panel became fully visible.

2. Resize window corners to make InDesign quite a bit smaller.

3. Unmirror displays. The InDesign window was small enough that I could see it all and maximize the window normally. Note that maximizing in step #2 didn't work; the window was back to its bad position after step 3.

Jeremy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows, I have the same problem occationally. 

Simple solution: hit Windows+P and toggle on and off 'duplicate screen' or 'single screen'. Fixed! Nothing to delete. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the contents of my "Layouts" folder, restarted my computer, and am still having issues. I initally had my laptop set up with a monitor, and was able to close any windows that popped up on screen when opening Premiere. Now, since I disconnected it, I think the window is still popping up but I am unable to see it and therefore cannot use Premiere. I would've thought I'd be able to see "All Windows" in the task bar, but I read through the thread and some people are saying that's not an option anymore with the new updates. How do you think I should go about solving this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have "Import workspaces from projects" checked? If so, uncheck that. Then delete the Layouts folder again.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines