• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prores Raw causing BSOD when using premiere pro

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm trying to get to the bottom of why this is happening. I've narrowed it down some, but dont know what to do next. So when I import prores raw footage premiere handles it just fine, until I import over a certain amount of files. Right now I have a test project with 21 prores raw files in it and it is okay, however if I import 40 more for a total of 61 prores raw files it will give me a BSOD with video_memory_management_internal stop code. From then on the project file is unusable because you will constantly get the bsod from premiere trying to load the raw files whenever you open it. I have the prores raw for windows download from apple. Graphics card is updated to most recent drivers, but even before that I still had this problem. Also its an RTX3080. Oh and also, no crash when the graphics card is removed from the pc. But you have to have it to decode prores raw, so i dont know. Not sure what to do now, other than to just not use prores raw. Any help is much appreciated!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the full details of this on their Premiere Pro UserVoice site, as that is the input portal for the devs for anything. This site is primarily user-to-user assistance.

That sounds like it's overloading the vRAM on the card or something like that ... huh. NOT good.

Neil 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be right Neil, all signs are pointing to graphics card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey alexh81190200 

Super sorry to see this! Which version of Premiere are you using? You can see by opening up the Creative Cloud Desktop app and hovering your mouse over the title of "Premiere Pro." Should say something like 22.6.2

Could you try in a previous version to see if that will stop your computer from flatlining? https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html 

We'll bring this to our engineering team as soon as we know the version number, and hopefully we'll find you a workaround. Thanks for taking the time to post! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not positive what version exactly, will figure it out when I'm back home. I was running a version for earlier this year, and still having this problem, but I just updated to the most recent yesterday. I have not tested on any versions from 2020 or 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and also I deleted media cache, park files, and the other media cache folder in the app data common folder which seemed to get rid of the problem, but if you save and reopen the project it will revert to blue screening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually having the same issue on Windows 11, version 23.1.0 build 86
It seems to happen whenever I let Premeire auto generate thumbnails for my video clips in the bin
I'm 100% my system is stable. I'm on a Nvidia 1080ti & AMD Ryzen 7 2700. This has been happening to me for the last few Premiere versions as well. I never see this BSOD at any other time/program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fix for me, is to open the project quickly, resize the bin window so only one video file at a time can be seen, then I slowly scroll down my bin letting each one render the thumbnail, and if I do that for every file, I can then edit with no BSOD and scroll through the bin window freely. If I were to allow more than 3 video thumbnails be seen, it will crash while trying to populate the video thumnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, great workaround.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's perfect! I'll try it out today. It does always seem to crash when generating the thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys! This has been happening to me recently too. I have a big project where a large section of it was shot on ProRes Raw files. Has anyone figured out a workaround other than the option above? This is frustrating. My PC is pretty powerful, and I've had no issues with any other type of footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and the specs on your hard drives and how they're connected. 

And have you tried a proxy workflow?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11 22H2

Premiere 23.2

64gb ram ddr4

RTX 4090

2 m.2 drives

2 ssd

This seems to be an issue with how the graphics card works with premiere. If you have prores raw footage in your project at all, you risk it blue screening, its also pretty random when it happens. You'll just be chuggin along editing for an hour or two and then bam it will hit you with the blue screen. When you log back in and restart the project soemtimes its okay, and other times it will render the project useless because it just repeats the blue screen every time you open it. I found that if you have gpu acceleration turned off it doesnt do it, but you are required to have it turned on in order to use the prores, you can still edit and view the footage with it switched off, but then you have to nest each clip of prores and export them separatley as another codec, then re-import them to replace the prores clips. If you dont do this process and try to export with gpu accel turned off the prores clips will jsut show as a black screen. Oh and also it seems to happen mostly when youre loading a project, or if you import a bunch of clips at once. The problems is that you can import little by little to get around this, but if you save and come back tomorrow, premiere loads everything at once and blows up with a blue screen

Either way, this pretty much makes prores raw completely useless for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem, I have tried everything I can think of, I think I will just have to sell my pc, sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and source properties and sequence settings...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I hope you can help, I have been through months of forums and threads and I think this is just an issue that adobe has decided to ignore.  

Yes cleared cache, yes tried older versions of premiere, yes checked drives, hardware, software, yes been through literal hours of adobe support, windows support, tried everything.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎27/‎07/‎2022
OS build 19045.2728

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prores Raw has gotta be difficult to process.  What are your pixel dimensions?  Do you have any multicam material?  What kind of drives do you use and how are they connected to your computer.  Have you tried a proxy workflow?  If so, what's the pixel dimensions of the proxies.  Certainly worth a test..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have tried everything you mentioned, as I said Adobe has just decided to sell products that are supposed to be compatible with PC and they simply aren't.  Like I said I have been trying to sort this out for months now and I keep getting the same workarounds that don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a bit of ProRes raw through my desktop PC without trouble. Even on my laptop. Just wish they had more raw controls for the media.

Do you have a file you could give a Dropbox link for?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil, here is a short prores raw clip. Also, what graphics card do you have in your pc and laptop?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okg02xhxcjvacs8/Water%20View%20through%20dunes%2085mm%20%282%29.MOV?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try and get to this but it will be later today or tomorrow morning.

24 core Ryzen 3960x, 128GB of RAM, 2080Ti desktop. Older Acer Triton laptop with 32GB of RAM & a lappie version of the 2080.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using the most current nvidia drivers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my laptop here at home at the moment, 456.71 Studio driver. I don't tend to change unless something comes up that I need to. There's been so many buggy Nvidia drivers over the last 18 months ... literally more are buggy than usable. Sadly.

Just tried the clip on my 4-year old Acer Predator Triton 500 laptop, Win 10, I-7 8750H 6-core CPU, 32GB of RAM, 2080 (laptop version of course) "Max-Q" version, 1GB only of VRAM.

That's a beautiful clip, btw ... I liked the image better using the ProRes Slog3-cine option, set to Rec.709 in the "raw" settings.

But it plays fine. Now, this is only with that one file, and the OP mentioned that his BSOD occurred with a lot of these files loaded at once. So I may simply not have enough files to trigger his situation.

Does the number of such files seem to be an issue for you, or is it pretty much just working with them?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I really wish I could use these clips. I have a ton of these little b-roll files, but it's too much headache to use them.

Was just working on a project now that had 6 prores files in a bin, and 1 loaded onto the timeline, and a random BSOD appeared. There's really no rhyme or reason. I thought maybe multiple file at once were triggering it, but id be willing to bet even 1 clip could do it at this point. Whats weird is ive already finished this project, and the whole time I was working on it before the prores clips were there, but never got a BSOD.

I had an RTX 3080 that did this as well as the current RTX 4090

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just want to make sure that you're using the nvidia studio drives NOT the game drivers...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines