• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ProRes RAW files in Premiere Pro 23.0 are black in source, program monitor, and export

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for some help with this issue. I've been working with R3D or ProRes HQ prior to this and it's my first time with ProRes RAW from the Ninja V+ so I'm unable confirm if it was working on previous versions.

ProRes RAW files in Premiere Pro 2023 are displaying a black preview (source file and program monitor) - audio is playing fine. This issue is limited to ProRes RAW files only - I have verified numerous other projects using R3D and ProRes HQ are not encountering the same issue.

Preview/program monitor shows image when using Mercury Playback Engine Software Only or OpenCL - both with extremely hindered performance.

Using Mercury Playback Engine (CUDA) in Media Encoder results in files with black screen & audio, as above Software Only or OpenCL successfully export however extremely slowly (~45mins for a 2:05 project file. Single layer 5.9K source media, one technical LUT (CLog2 > Rec.709) 4K UHD export @ 30mbps CBR. I would usually expect this to take less than a couple of minutes.)

Attempted to create 720p ProRes proxies with media encoder - same issue, black image with audio playing.

Files play back with no issue on the Ninja V+

Specs/media:

• i9-10980HK

• RTX 3070 Laptop GPU

• 32gb RAM

• Premiere Pro 2023 (23.0)

• Mercury Playback Engine (CUDA)

• ProRes RAW 5.9K/24 from R5C in Super35 mode & Ninja V+

• ProRes RAW for windows 1.3 installed

• Latest Nvidia Studio Driver version 526.98 (tried switching between Studio and Game Ready as a hail mary to no avail)
  • Verified string value of C:\Program Files\Apple\ProRes RAW for Windows\ registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folder

• Verified .dll files present in C:\Program Files\Apple\ProRes RAW for Windows\

I've also recreated the project from scratch and cleared the media cache with no luck.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

A few users have reported they needed to roll back to a studio driver of around 517, that the newest driver isn't working with ProRes on their system. So try that also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

After a bit of trial and error, I've got the following results:

Premiere Pro 23.0 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 526.98 is not working

Premiere Pro 22.6.2 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 526.98 is not working

Premiere Pro Beta 23.2 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 526.98 is not working

Premiere Pro 23.0 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 517.40 is working

After all that, I think it's safe to conclude that the latest (or newer versions of) the NVIDIA drivers are the problem here, thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

You're right, .29 is for games, but it was the most recent and fixing the issue, so i gave it a try.
In the meantime they issued 531.41 that is Studio driver, and should fix the issue. 

NVIDIA Studio Driver | 531.41 | Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11 | NVIDIA

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're checking all the right things.

Use the "Other versions" option for Premiere Pro in Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop to install Premiere Pro (22.6.2).  You can have both 22.6.2 and 23.0 installed at the same time.

Or, use the Beta Apps tab to install Premiere Pro Beta (23.2).

Hopefully, one of those versions of Premiere Pro and corresponding version of Media Encdoer works on your system with the Apple ProRes RAW Decoder for Windows as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Warren,

I'll try the previous (and beta) versions of PPro and Media Encoder and see if that resolves it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(yes, I copy-pasted my answer - not sure how I could have worded it any differently really!)

Premiere Pro 23.0 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 517.40 is working

After all that, I think it's safe to conclude that the latest (or newer versions of) the NVIDIA drivers are the problem here, thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few users have reported they needed to roll back to a studio driver of around 517, that the newest driver isn't working with ProRes on their system. So try that also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Neil!

Sometimes it's the simple things - I'll give it a crack tomorrow when I'm back working.

Cheers,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it works ... but please post back either way.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 23.0 & NVIDIA Studio Driver 517.40 is working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very thorough!  Thank you for sharing your results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for posting the fix for this! literally saved my bacon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for doing some detailed investigation, it saved me a bunch of trouble! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for me it worked with the 517.40 and PP 23.1 it is definitly a driver issue ...

Ryzen 9 3950X + Rtx 3090 maybe with a intel cpu it will works with the letest driver update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that with an intel cpu and 3090 gpu the issue still occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, this after reinstalling windows.
Before it was working, now after the reinstallation it doesn't work anymore.... 
When I enter the project with ProRes RAW files (from Ninja V) I get an error to enter on "adobe.com/go/proresraw" and that info. there does not help me if I have the correct settings in the program (set to CUDA)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that error I would say you likely don't have ProRes RAW for Windows 1.3 installed. You can download it here

Once that's installed, you should be able to decode the ProRes RAW files from the Ninja V.

Are you also using an NVIDIA graphics card? As per my previous reply after trial and error, make sure you're on version 517.40 otherwise you'll likely end up with the black screen issue I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3, 4 times I installed and uninstalled the codec and the same result......
I actually tried your option with the Nvidia driver and it still appears the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange!
Is there a string value of C:\Program Files\Apple\ProRes RAW for Windows\ showing under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folder in your registry?

Win + R > regedit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is tha last  REG:  " C:\Program Files (x86)\Apple Software Update\ "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And can you confirm if the video is decoding using OpenCL or Software Only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is set to CUDA  (i have RTX 2070)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry about this. Can you give us details about the computer's CPU?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have

Ryzen 9 7950x

Asrock x670E PRO RS

Crucial 2X32Gb 5600Mhz

Rtx 2070 8Gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, I get that bit - what I mean is does the video render if you select OpenCL or Software Only? It'll be painfully slow, but it's something to test to see if it's Nvidia/Driver/CUDA related or something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all possible methods!

I changed from CUDA to OnepCL,

reinstalled Nvidia v517.40, and the las one v527.56
same error..... to conctact adobe/info......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines