Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"new" title tool is AWFUL.

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear folks at Adobe,

your new title tool is really amateur - a step in the wrong direction.

Please give this another look....and consider making this the pro tool that you were building.

It is not faster, it is not more robust, it causes crashes, and it is very awkward to use from a usability standpoint. I'd be interested to know how other editors feel.

What is really slowing me down, is having to re-select the text after every edit change. Why not keep the text selected? This is confusing, a time waster, and not intuitive. Thats just for starters. if you have multiple layers, why doesn't a double click select the text?? I cannot even tell what layer I am  working on half the time. I really dislike this. AWFUL.

Thanks.

- A pro user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Hi MikeR,

Sorry for the pain points. Give direct feedback to the team here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EGP is a "version 1" at the current time ... there's enough usable stuff there they decided to release as-is, and are planning on upping the tools it has sequentially with each update ... that's been stated quite frequently.

When I first saw this I thought ... cool! ... and then tried to use it and it seemed like nothing worked. Because, it works very differently than the old titler, as I found. I've got some links I do recommend you go through from basic & short to more detailed on both what you can do with the EGP as it is, and how ... and also, what you can't do yet, so essentially when to use what's now called the "legacy titler".

The first is very short & direct but a good overview; the second is by James Strawn, one of the development team members for the EGP, and very informative; the bottom two are longer & more detailed but very useful, from reTooled.net.

Essential Graphics Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAoZme5rOfM&t=205s

https://vimeo.com/211404007

http://www.retooled.net/?p=1693

http://www.retooled.net/?p=1696

For my own use, I created a custom workspace for the "legacy" Titler so I've pretty much got the normal use of that back ... and also the EGP. As I learn and get experienced with the EGP, it's growing on me. In the future it's going to be an awesome tool. Now, it's got cool parts but at times is frustrating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still crap and the old one should have been left alone until this was at a usable level. We are not paying to be their beta testers and we deserve working software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many other users, including myself, don't find the EGP to be "crap" at all, so I'm not unhappy it was released. It's kinda slick in the way it does what it can do.

I've stated in numerous threads that I think the rollout could have been handled differently, and that it has been a pain for many, including myself. Understood. Especially as for some things we still need to use the "Legacy" Titler. Which is why I created a custom workspace for it ... so I can use it easily and in the old "normal" fashion. Took five minutes.

And I'm highly amused that since they released the first version of an eventual replacement the old Titler is now a beloved friend. For the entire time I've been working with PrPro in my own shop ... back to CS6 ... the Titler was in the Top Two for Most Reviled Feature.

Getting a good idea from NAB about where they're going with this, I'm very pleased they ​are working on this new titling/graphics tool. And some of the hiccups have hopefully been a good learning experience for the PrPro team.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EGP is a "version 1" at the current time ... there's enough usable stuff there they decided to release as-is, and are planning on upping the tools it has sequentially with each update ... that's been stated quite frequently.

Many other users, including myself, don't find the EGP to be "crap" at all, so I'm not unhappy it was released.

The potential problem in this early release of an unfinished work... might be lack of backward compatibility of graphics through updates and developments.  

I, for one, consider graphics are media assets and they take time and effort to produce.  Re making them is out of the question.   Already...EGP does not consider graphics as Project Assets in regard to workflow.

Time will tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's something that has been properly hammered home here and in the AfterEffects forums (besides elsewhere). There's a ton of graphics involved in all broadcast and even most internet-shared media. We all need to build up the library for the projects that we typically use, especially for ongoing ones. And the EGP can sort of do some of that.

Not that usable for that purpose. There's a companion issue ... the changes in exporting templates from the old Titler ... that was an "unfortunate" choice.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz  wrote

The potential problem in this early release of an unfinished work... might be lack of backward compatibility of graphics through updates and developments. 

I, for one, consider graphics are media assets and they take time and effort to produce.  Re making them is out of the question.   Already...EGP does not consider graphics as Project Assets in regard to workflow.

Shooternz, of course I can't say what the longer term future holds either, but once you have Graphics that you like, you should Export them as MOGRTs. That will certainly make them more portable and sustainable than trying to migrate things from version to version as project assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the old title tool was crap, but it was less crap than the new one. For anything complex I would use Photoshop or After Effects, but it was useful for slates and simple disclaimers. The new one is not even good at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MikeR,

Sorry for the pain points. Give direct feedback to the team here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cutco  wrote

What is really slowing me down, is having to re-select the text after every edit change. Why not keep the text selected? This is confusing, a time waster, and not intuitive. Thats just for starters. if you have multiple layers, why doesn't a double click select the text?? I cannot even tell what layer I am  working on half the time.

having to re-select the text after every edit change

I just tried this in the most recent public version that I have and it does not de-select the layer after either editing the text itself or changing layer params in the EGP or ECP. Can you send me some more detailed steps about what you did and maybe I can see why it is not happening that way for you?

why doesn't a double click select the text 

Do you mean 2x clicking on a Layer item in EGP to highlight all the text for that layer in the Program Mon? I know that Photoshop does that, and it's a good feature request, so it should be submitted as such. For now, please note that you can 1x click on a layer in the EGP and that layer will be selected with a blue or red box, depending on which tool you have selected. That should make it a lot easier to see where your layer is, but of course you will still need to click into the layer to highlight glyphs.

I cannot even tell what layer I am  working on

Sometimes when I hear users say that they can't tell where their layers/params are, it makes me think that they may not be in the Graphics workspace or that they are trying to adjust their layers in Effect Controls instead of the Essential Graphic Panel. Could that maybe be true in your case? My apologies if it's not, I just need to ask to make sure.

I know how irritating it can be struggling with new tools that aren't working for you. So I'd like to help you find solutions and enjoy using Graphics more if possible. In cases where that's not possible, then that wishform that Kevin M. linked to really is the best way to make your voice heard by Adobe. Thank you for your support of our products.

-James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines