• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relating Timeline Clips to Source clips? (Premiere Pro CC12.1)

Engaged ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have a project with lots of source clips -  usually with non-descriptive filenames like "MVI_0691.MP4" or something, I'd like to have an easier way to see what source clips in the project go with what clips in the timeline.    I've noticed that if I rename it in one it doesn't rename it in the other.   Nor does clicking on, selecting, or highlighting it in one have any visual effect on the other.    Ideally, while I'm working I'd like to be able to click on a clip in the timeline and see the source clip it came from in my project "light up", or vice versa.   

PRClipName.jpg

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Add the Video Usage Column to the metadata display in the list view.

It will show you the number of instances you have used the clip, and if you click on the chevron next to the usage number, where it was used:

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.22.40 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the clip in the timeline and from the drop down menu choose "Reveal in Project".

To get the name to appear the same in both the Project Panel and Timeline, go to File > Project Settings > General and check the box for "Display the project Item name and label color for all instances":

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 7.39.13 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like that's a one-off, i.e., right-clicking and selecting "Reveal in Project" just reveals it that one time.  But the right-click menu for a clip in the timeline has 42 items in it!   So navigating through those is a fair amount of work for something I'd like to do in

one easy click.

I was hoping the color label feature would help.   What I don't get is that the 'label' option, where you set the color, is in the project dropdown, but it apples to the timeline clip! (NOT the clip in the project).   If you can set it for the clip in the project why doesn't it display it for the clip in the project?  That would provide another easy way to relate the clips in the project to the ones in the timeline.

So here's a related question:  Is there an easy way to see which clips in my project are already used in my timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the Video Usage Column to the metadata display in the list view.

It will show you the number of instances you have used the clip, and if you click on the chevron next to the usage number, where it was used:

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.22.40 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you check the box shown in the first reply the label colours do propagate from clip to timeline & vice versa

You really need a ‘show media relatives’ option, like Avid (useage columns are useful but not for this)

Or maybe a smart bin/search filter that offered that functionality (show only items in current timeline, the inverse would also be useful)

Premiere Pro: Hot (2503 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps  Is the place to request it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines