Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relinking the same media every time?

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I recently had to move some media for an ongoing project to a different location.  I know it's not optimal to move things mid-project but my client requested it because they manage the media drives.   I made sure I had the exact new path and was able to relink it easily the next time I opened the project.

Problem is, now every time I reopen the project, it shows as missing media and makes me relink it again.  I've relinked media many times on other projects, and usually once I've relinked it, it stays relinked and the project finds the media.  For some reason, this project is requiring me to relink every single time I open it.
Since I know the path it's more of an annoyance than anything else, but I'd prefer it didn't happen.
Am I missing something obvious?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a feature documentary and PP is very regularily "losing" where source or proxy files are for random folders. I'll offline, then relink them, and it'll fix it, only for it to crop back up again for a different set of folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion to just hit cancel also actually worked for me, the media was actually linked every time and eventually after a few times hitting cancel it seems to have found the correct path file and no longer asks me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having this issue as well.  20 days of footage for a reality show and the server drives  had to be relocated to a NAS.  Now all of our editors on the Production file have to manually relink their episodes and it's DAYS of footage... The folder structure was maintained but the root of the NAS is named differently but when it's all relinked and the editors close out and re open premiere they are stuck relinking their full 44min episodes all over again, wasting massive amounts of time... it's a nightmare..  Is there a way to solve this yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone having this problem in 2023: after I relinked, saved, closed, reopened, and got asked to relink again...I just clicked "Cancel" on the Link Media popup. All those files it listed as unlinked were actually linked fine in the timeline. Probably won't work for everyone but worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this! It works for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU BEAUTY!!!!! This is the only thing that worked for me. I clicked cancel, all the footage is linked in my timeline. I'm working on a feature length doco and it was driving me BONKERS.

Do this, let me know if it works for you too (Nov 2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say it isn't working for me, and It's a really big problem with my 16 part series. I have moved all the orignal paths and now nothing links although I relinked everthing once, it can't find the new path. Have tried the "cancel" trick and it's not working. Would love some help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this up. I have the same problem. Have tried all of the tricks listed below (except copy the project - it's massive and I just get the spinning beach ball if I try to copy and paste). Has anybody figured out how to fix this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So by creating a new project and copying and pasting the contents in it fixed it. It just took about 20 minutes of time staring at a spinning beach ball. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit Cancel!! That is the solution. Do Not Hit Locate! 

It works. I swear to god. After a lot of trying, it's that simple.

Just hit Cancel when you are asked to relocate.

So fracking weird!

kirstyc1092575 provided the answer, but it's burried down there and i want to make sure Kirsty's answer is seen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry dude, that was the first thing I did. I tried everything. Cancel doesn't work. Infinite loop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awwww Maaaan. That sucks. I will edit my comment. Best of luck.

wait- What about just selecting everything, creating a new session, and pasting the whole thing in? That worked with me for another bug. And there is always the goto solution of completely reinstalling premiere lol.

Last guess. Render all of of the files as new ones, like in adobe media encoder, and locate those files. I'm sorry if you tried any of these and they didn't work. For me, it's the first time I have used GoPro footage, so i wonder if there is something up with GoPro that I need to know, like "Always convert GoPro files to ____ before using".?

Best of luck!

BTW - I am by no means an expert. Just grabbing at straws here. I feel bad for your situation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for everyone, but this worked for me ↓

Good luck everyone!

I feel for you all as I was just about crying over this yesterday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines