Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace with after effects composition problem, video dissapears

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with premiere's cs5 "replace with after effects composition" command. Every time I try doing it I get just a new comp made in after effects but no files so the screen is just black without content.

Then the video in premiere dissapears too and the "file" in the timeline turns a pink color.

Any ideas about whats going on here? thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what it looks like, as ypu can see in pic one I have the clip in premiere, pic two shows the linked comp in AE with no imported files and pic three is the linked comp in premiere in that pink color. Thanks!

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic link is full of bugs.  I spend half my time figuring out how to work around them.  One bug is that the video clip becomes un-linked in After Effects once closed.  Open your After Effects project and check the file path for the video clip.  If your drive letter (example...  e:\ ) is replaced with a question mark then try and re-link the clip from the original source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I tries doing what you said but the problem

is that there is nothing to link because the clip wasn't imported in the first place. As you can see AE has ma

de a new comp but didnt import the file....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you select the clip before you replaced it with the comp?  Your screenshot shows the clip unselected.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I did select the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I don't know what's going on: when I replace a clip in a Pr sequence with an AE comp, the clip shows up in the composition.  I can't duplicate your issue here.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem with CS4. I was debating upgrading to CS5 with the hope that it had resolved this problem. I'm sorry to see it hasn't. I've been having to create two totally separate files - one in Encore, one in AE - for each movie, just to be able to get files on DVD and another on the internet, because I can't "translate" to .avi or .aiff formats from Encore because Adobe has not made their own programs cross-compatible.  Maybe CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue. I selected the media and went to "replacement with after effects composition" and when after effects opened there was no media but only premiere's composition file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i've encountered this exacts same problem a few times before. In all cases it was when I took over editing from someone else (works on a mac) and copied all the files and folder to my computer (Windows).

The problem was that some video files were placed in a folder with a foldername that contained special characters (some dot character). The files load just fine in Premiere, but when you want to bridge it to After Effects the video files are not transfered.

So I just renamed the folder to something less difficult, relocated the files in Premiere and it all works just fine.

So my advice is to check up on all the foldernames and filenames

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas about whats going on here?

My only thought is the use of an MPEG file, which is not the best option for editing.

Try a test with a normal DV clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mpeg works just as well as dv avi.

A normal HDV file is mpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am having precisely the same issue - have tried it with numerous file types including plain DV AVI.

Just wondered if you managed to find a solution?

Regards

Grant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grant, I did figure it out (and felt rather silly when I did). You have to select all your files from the Project portion of AE and drag them into the Render segment - bottom left corner of your AfterEffects screen - in order for them to play. I guess I should have come back to the forum and reported once I got it working, so everyone would know that there's nothing wrong with Adobe. Once you do that, there are all sorts of super-cool things you can do with a slide show for video presentation. I did decide to put it into Windows Media Play and convert to MPEG before uploading to the internet, however, because it reduced the size to roughly 15% of AVI. I preserved AVI for DVD because of quality, which is far better.

There's an awesome video tutorial - thank you, Andrew Kramer!! - on creating slideshows at: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/slideshows/video-tutorial.php - now that you (hopefully) know what you're doing wrong in AE.

Pam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pam.

I really appreciate your reply but I'm not sure we're talking about the same problem as I'm not actully trying to create a slideshow in AE. 

I'm having precisely the same problem as that of the original poster dondematias i.e. when selecting a simple clip on any Premiere timeline and selecting 'Replace with After Effects composition', from Adobe Dynamic Link, AE launches, creates a new (empty) comp but does not import the footage clip into the project.  Thus the linked comp is blank.  (See dondematias's screenshots above).

If i'm misunderstanding your reply please let me know.

Thanks again

Grant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2010 Sep 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I resolved this problem

1. Make sure you have CS5 Production Premium. It only works on this version not Master or a combination of individually downloaded applications or anything else.

2. Make sure the version is not a Beta or old edition get the most up-to-date i.e down-load directly from adobe website and purchase a product key to activate all features.

Works for me,

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem with Premiere CC 2014.1 ( just updated )

Files are imported on the same Mac, edited in premiere , In the finder exist in a folder (no subfolder special character issues invalided)

Still it fires up AE with the comp and no video

Adobe pls respond on this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I WAS having the same issue.

I just updated After Effects to the latest as well and it cleared up the issue. Dynamic linking works again.

bibbo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem since updating to 2014.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Durdenlm,

Be very sure that you have updated to After Effects CC 2014.1 (13.1). If you are positive that you have precisely the same versions of Premiere Pro and After Effects, file a bug report here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I just ran into the same problem and played with it for a while and came across this. Its a linkage problem but its odd. it doesn't show the footage actually used. Highlight your Clip(s) then right-click to render and replace. This consolidates any effects and spits back a compressed file. Now when I took that file to "Replace with after effects composition" the full clip will now show up but if you scroll though it you will notice that once you put your playhead over a part of the clip that actually is used in the Premier timeline it shows the black screen again. It's not a fix rather then a workaround if your color correcting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem... Exactly but I'm using CC2017 2017.0 in Windows 10

Premiere sends a blank comp to after effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured it out!  probably 7 years too late sorry.  yea I was having the same problem and no info so I installed reinstalled both programs did not work.  But i was desperate to figure it out was trying all kinds of thing. then I tried just throwing the video file right into after effects from the folder and then I got an error " saying can not convert Unicode characters"   so the problem could be as simple as characters like mine was a como , in the folder name or file. I changed the names and it fixed it    So I would if I were you try just dropping the a file causing the problem who knows you might get a different error message to fix. 

it just does not show the error message when clicking on the , replace with AE composite.

I know when using ae cs4 it would not let me load videos with russian characters in file name into it, i would get this message .

anyways I hope this helps you and anyone else with this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Every,

THE SOLUTION.

I was having this exact same issue with Premiere Pro CC and i found that it was due to my after effects being on a different update to Premiere. So i updated my Premiere Pro CC to Premiere Pro CC 2018 and it fixed my issue once i ran the new version. Make sure both programs are up to date in your creative cloud and this will ensure they are both on the same versions.

Hope this helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines