Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

sharing LUT on different work station

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am having a problem which is clearly related to my special kind of workflow, but would like to ask for help on this anyways, as it got me stuck.

My workflow isspecial because I have to deliver projects in whole to my clients, meaning project file, raw material and any media used in the project.

Now I started liking the possibility of working with Lumetri and custom LUTs.

And this causes the problems I, or actually my clients have.

As my computer knows where my custom LUTs are stored I do not have the problem, but my clients open my projects and they have to

choose and reactivated the LUT on each clip/edit in the timeline if I just give them my LUT directory, as obviously on their ,machines the path to the LUT is different.

I then thought I could work arround that by adding the LUT to Premieres own LUT folder, which worked fine as long as the clients added it there as well.

BUT, whenever I add a LUT to this directory, or the client adds one it seems to mess up the structure and Premiere opens the projects with using a different

LUT then was actually used on the footage.

It seems a bit as if Premiere locates the LUT not by its name, but by "place" in the folder, something like "use 7th LUT from top". which seems odd.

Is there any way to make it possible to interchange a whole project between different work stations with Lumetri and using custom LUTs?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Best regards

Petra

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

What Jim Simon states is absolutely true - do not open the application package to install your own LUT files.  It will cause all sorts of problems including the ones you have already run into.  You'll get burned - don't do it. 

You should apply LUTs by using the "Browse" button in the drop-down and navigate to the LUT files on disk.  Using this method, Premiere is supposed to actually embed the LUT file into the project file so you can share the project with your client without having to worry a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recommends not tampering with the program files and folders.  That means the client will need to Browse to the various LUTs used in the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Jim Simon states is absolutely true - do not open the application package to install your own LUT files.  It will cause all sorts of problems including the ones you have already run into.  You'll get burned - don't do it. 

You should apply LUTs by using the "Browse" button in the drop-down and navigate to the LUT files on disk.  Using this method, Premiere is supposed to actually embed the LUT file into the project file so you can share the project with your client without having to worry about the LUTs.  This will not install the LUTs onto your clients' system for use in other projects, but the project you gave them should work correctly.  If this is not working, that is a bug.  BTW we are aware of the frustration surrounding using custom LUTs and we are working on a fix to make this easier for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jim, hello Francis,

thank you so much for your answers. It helped a lot. I reinstalled Premiere and now the LUT embedment worked fine across all our platforms as well as at the clients.

Thank you!

all the best

Petra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever create the fix for the custom LUT issue? Still having the same problem is 2022 and have 100s of projects linked up incorrectly I fear. Would be hugely appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still wondering if a fix is in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specifically is your issue?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply.
I am dealing with teh same problem in a Team project.
Although we both have the same LUT folders on our machines, the LUT will not transfer from team member to team member.
Obviously, you'd say, because the LUTs weren't applied by Browse, but by selecting them from the list.
Okay, cumbersome. Why would you have a list if you'd still need to Browse, I'd say.
Also: How is one supposed to Browse to a LUT that is in a Library folder (Mac). I don't know how to acces that folder via Browse...
I think this is a major design flaw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What folders are those LUTs stored in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, 
Thanks for chiming in.
The LUTS are stored on both computers on 

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical
The Technical folders are identical on both sets. And on both sets in Premiere - Lumetri - Basic - Input Lut the same list is visible.
True: Collaborator 1 did choose a LUT from that list (again, not via Browse, but picked out the list).
Published his project.
Collaborator 2 did Update his project and does sees a blank line after Input LUT. (instead of None).
Funny to mention: Some clips do have a LUT applied, althoud the Input LUT line is blank. So I can not check if it is the right LUT. Other clips have no LUT applied, although I am very certain every shot in this Timeline had a LUT applied by Collaborator 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LUT workflows between multiple workers is a bit of a challenge. I work for/with/teach pro colorists, mostly based in Resolve, and LUTs being used by several workers on say a feature or doc is a challenge there also.

Eveyone needs to knowingly, intentionally, and correctly use the LUTs in the software they're using. Which takes intentional training and nearly always a very detailed organizational and step-wise instruction set for the specific project. 

An easy way to deploy LUTs is through the Adobe CC Libraries ... they have a Look/LUT tab section. If you have a group shared CC library, a great way to distribute mogrts and such also ... put the LUTs in that, and each user then has acces to them for changing to local storage in the correct folder tree as specified for the project in the Project Protocals.

And there's no way around that bit ... the spec sheet for the project for LUT handling. At least none I've ever heard of working.

So ... as with any other app ... you need your project protocol stated something like this ...

• "Proper LUT handling is up to each team member. The following steps must be followed correctly for proper application of LUTs through the project.
  • Project YXQ LUTs are stored in X location on Mac, Y location on PCs. THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL. (And make sure you have the correct user locations specified, NOT the folders where Premiere stores its own LUTs.)
  • For each clip with a LUT applied, you will probably need to navigate to the LUT via the dropdown list in the {X} tab of Lumetri to make sure the correct LUT is applied.

@mattchristensen or @Fergus H  ... any additional comments or alternate suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines