• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sound dropping out randomly between nested clips

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randomly, some days it does it, some it doesn't, can't make out the pattern. BUT, I have a repeating issue of sound dropping out from one clip to the next when I put nested clips in sequence. Then, as you can see in the video, when I move the clip down the timeline, the sound suddenly comes back on. 

I just updated to PP 2022, but had this same problem in 2021. In fact, I installed PP 2022 to test if that would fix the issue. When it didn't, I restarted the computer to no avail. I have a 15" MacBook Pro 2017 currently running Catalina 10.15.7. 

This bug is seriously annoying as a lot of my workflow (interview footage) is based on cutting up one big nest of clips and rearraning them. This really throws me off and wastes a LOT of time. The problem does not seem to happen when using the original (un-nested) clips. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of workflow curiosity, why are the clips in a nest? What's going on inside of the nest? Is it multicam or just one video track?

Are you monitoring hardware at all while you're working to help identify if anything is being bottlenecked, such as drive speed? CPU? Etc?  

Working with low bitrate proxies is one thing that can help if bandwidth is an issue, as well as having your audio cache on a fast drive like an SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip, thanks for the reply. I am working with proxies and from an external drive. The example I showed in the video is low CPU usage. I just looked at activity monitor while playing it, no bottleneck.

The clips are in a nest because I put them all in one sequence and then add a timecode on it so it's all one flow. I then compare that to a transcript of the audio file and cut up the nested clips and rearrange them however. It's single cam inside the nest, with a single mono audio file from a boom mic. 

The issue seems like a bug when I put two clips cut from different parts of the sequence in a different order. The catch is that it seems random when it drops out and when it doesn't, because I have other clips in the same timeline that are from the same nested clip and not in their "original" order. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be looking at the drive speed in your scenario, not the CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share a screenshot of your Audio Hardware settings in preferences?

Also,Please provide detailed specs of your system, including your storage configuration as well as your OS and version of Premiere

Finally, try to render audio on you sequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian. Thanks for the reply. Rendering audio did not work to solve the issue. Attached are pics of Audio Hardware settings, Premiere Version, as well as OS and Storage. I am running the premiere file from FA SCOTTY drive.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.00.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.01.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.02.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.01.59 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Phillip Harvey @Christian.Z 

Any other ideas? I tries saving the project folder in the default location as this thread suggested: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/audio-dropping-out-during-playback-in-timeli...

but it didn't fix the issue. I think it has something to do with nested clips, which believe it or not, is integral to my process. Seems like a real bug to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TLDR: I selected "Render audio when rendering video" in the "Audio" Preferences menu. And then went to "Sequence>Render In to Out". AND it worked! After it was done rendering, the problem was solved and the audio played correctly again.

FULL RESPONSE:

I was having the same problem!

I also nest the interview clips. That way I can keep the original clips in order and easily locate the needed quotes. Also, I am able to do an initial color and audio edit on the whole interview, which is more than one clip, making the solution of applying effects to the "Source" clip ineffective.

It's a useful strategy.

And it's been working for me throughout my current projects and previous projects in Premiere 2023.

Just today the audio cut out on a couple of the clips, but not the others. What's REALLY odd is that I am able to scrub both with the mouse and arrows and the audio is STILL there. It's just not there when I try to play it. Of course, when I open the nest itself in the source monitor or in its own timeline, the audio plays perfectly.

Restarting the program hasn't changed anything.

Renaming the sequence? Nothing.

Pulling the clips in from the source monitor again? Nope.

BUT!

Then I selected "Render audio when rendering video." in the "Audio" Preferences menu (Screenshot below). And going to "Sequence>Render In to Out". AND it worked! After it was done rendering, the problem was solved and the audio played correctly again.

It's been a minute since this thread was active, but I hope this is helpful if anyone comes across this down the road. 

(I included computer spec screenshots below as well)

Audio Settingss.PNG

Audio Hardware Settings.PNGCapture.PNGPremiere Version.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines