Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

switching from Open CL to CUDA during project

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am working in Premiere Pro 2015.3. Can I switch in the middle of a project from Open CL to CUDA? My computer has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics card. I have tried to do the switch but I am getting all kinds o f playback problems....I have heard NVIDIA works better with CUDA but maybe I don't need to switch at all.

Any ideas? Thank you.

MacBook Pro retina mid 2014

Processor 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Software OS X 10.10.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is no significant ramification if you switch GPU acceleration modes in the middle of a project. The only tiny negative is that it had to delete any render files you may have already created, that's all. I switch all the time, especially if I'm having any sort of graphical snafu. In most cases, CUDA is slightly preferable to OpenCL anyway, although, depending on your exact card, the difference may be nominal. But sometimes it DOES fix playback problems, so give it a go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

thanks for the response. My problem is when I switched from Open CL to CUDA (for faster processing) the Program window just goes black when I pause. (Of course I need it not to go black)

Playback seems to work.

I don't know if CUDA is really faster than Open CL but that is what I thought, and if CUDA is faster I want to use it, I am not sure how to find out or if it is worth the trouble, maybe I should just stick with Open CL....

Robert

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

CUDA Driver Version: 7.5.30

Premiere Pro 2015 (version 10.4.0)

Software OS X 10.10.5

MacBook Pro retina mid 2014

Processor 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your video driver up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the complexity of your projects, you may not notice much of a performance boost... maybe a tiny bit at the export stage, but it's not going to be a night-and-day difference. As Peru Bob mentioned, make sure you've downloaded the latest CUDA drivers. Ive seen the Program Monitor go black sometimes and require an app restart, but it shouldn't be constant. Double check the software version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Jason,

I have the latest version that is compatible with my operating system (OS X 10.10.5), but no luck, so I stuck to the OpenCL. Good to know that it does not make a night and day difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines