Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file has no audio or video streams

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been out filming all day with my Canon XA20 at 28mbps, 50fps and in MP4 mode.

When I try and import my MP4 video files into Premier Pro CS6 (which is fully upto date) I get this error message -

This file has no audio or video streams.

Now this only happens with MP4 file types. I normally record in AVCHD but this camera has a feature that allows you to switch between MP4 and AVCHD, so today I shot in MP4.

I have no idea why this is happening, everything is upto date and the camcorder works just fine. When I try and import any other file type other the MP4 premier pro opens it fine, but with MP4 I always have this problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or upgrade to CC.  There are a LOT of nice improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post me a link please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the big red A in the top left of every page.  You'll find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Well lets hope upgrading solves the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until they bring out a stand alone upgrade ie nothing part of a monthly fee based cloud service - I will just get the converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I will try. Is that the best MP4 to AVCHD converter? I will only be using it once. I did more filming today, from now on I am sticking with AVCHD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not work. I think it is because the file is 50fps, but that doesnt really make sense.

I press import, select my file and nothing happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct I cannot convert either. sorry I did not test upfront. I assumed it would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(downloaded your sample file. Thank you for proving that) It looks like CS6 does not have proper support for this file type. Normally, it would be imported by the MPEG importer, which provides excellent playback support. In the case of your file, the MPEG importer fails the file and it gets passed to the QuickTime importer, which although it supports the file, playback is not so good. If you do not have QuickTime installed, then Premiere fails to open the file at all, since the MPEG importer does not appear to support it.

With CC, we have included a number of improvements and added support to the MPEG importer, and this file imports and plays at full frame rate (since it is being imported by the MPEG importer).

Please feel free to submit a bug for CS6:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent thank you for providing the answer I was looking for - I have found a bug.

The problem is you see I would rather just upgrade to CC and load up CC like I load up premier pro cs6. What I mean is I would like the new editing software but I find the fact you have to pay a monthly fee a bit daft. Can I get CC without paying a monthly fee?

I bought the production premium package you see, which is quite expensive, if I was to upgrade to CC I would at least like to know I own it, rather than rent it monthly as part of a bigger service.

Also do you know of an MP4 converter that will retain the 50fps and convert to AVCHD? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC is a month to month or annual membership.

For work in CS6, your .mp4 files stil have all the frames, it's just the playback that is not full frame rate. One possible workaround to the playback is to place your files in a TImeline Sequence, add an Adjustment layer in trck above and then add a Brightness & Contrast effect to the Adjustment layer, with both values set to zero (basically, file is unaffected but requires rendring). Render Effects in Work Area and now you should have full frame rate playback.

If you want to convert the files, you could try exporting them to H.264 within Premiere or AME. There will be some generational loss, so you could try a sample export to see if the quality is acceptable to you. You could try Format: H.264, 1920x1080, Frame Rate: 50, Profile: High, Level:4.2, Bitrate Encoding: VBR 1 pass, Target Bitrate [Mbps]: 35, enable 'Use Maximum Render Quaility'. These settings closely match the attributes of your supplied file.

And I think you already realize this, but if you continue to stay with CS6, then I would recommend that you record AVCHD.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi thanks for the advice Trent. This is the best solution so far! I have been AFK for a while doing work but I am back now. I will give this a go tonight and let you know how I go.

From now on its AVCHD all the way. MP4 seems to be anti social.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines