Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline freezes for seconds during playback

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

my timeline keeps on freezing during playback or scrubbing and i can't make it stop for seconds. 

My specs:

Premiere Pro Version 14.0.1

IMAC 5k 

4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

32GB Ram

AMD Radeon R9 4GB

Project and Footage (Quicktime Prores 4444) is on a USB3 external drive but i have the same problem with different kinds of footage and also with projects that are stored on an SSD. 

I'm super thankful for any kind of help.

Cheers,

Philipp

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prores 4444 is a demanding format and really only necessary if you need an alpha channel (which defines transparency) embedded in the clip and then you'll probably only get smooth playback if you render it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply. like i said, it happens with all sorts of footage. Also, i edited countles projects with prores 4444 without proxys and the performance was smooth everytime. Not really sure but i think it all started with after i applied the latest update to premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating proxies is the only way to edit. I do it to all footage:

1. Highlight all your normal footage right click in premiere and "create proxies"

I like to use 1280 Prores for 16x9 normal stuff. 

If you have interpreted footage for slowmo effect then do it this way:

1. Interpret footage in premiere.

2. right click in premiere and "create proxies"

3. When they populate in media encoder hit red "STOP" right away on top right corner

4. Highlight the clip that began to encode and right click and "Reset Status"

5. Delete that partial clip in the finder

6. Highlight all the clips in encoder and right click and interpret them as you did in premier and start the encode

7. Make sure you add the toggle proxies button and you are good to go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and can verify that this is not an issue with footage type or computer speed. This issue has just apeared recently (possibly since upgrading to 2020 - but can't totally be sure). It happens to me with all sorts of files - including just editing a wav file only. While playing back if I press stop it takes a second lag to actually stop. I've noticed this lag happening in other actions too, while moving or resizing a clip so it seems like Premiere is just snoozing for a second and it causes all actions to not work. It's pretty consistent every few minutes and it's becoming quite the bummer for my workflow!

Doing the same thing on both my machines. Macbook Pro 2019, Mac Mini 2019. With BlackMagic EGPU and without. SSD drive, internal drive, external drives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using PPCC2020? if so I have experienced this same issue among a list of other performance issues with PPCC2020. Didn't have any of these issues with PPCC2019. Its really frustrating because Adobe seems to be not listening to its long list of users having the same performance issues particularly Mac users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though i'm not 100% sure but i think it happened after the lastest update. i just saw, that there is a new update waiting for premiere right at that moment - will update now and maybe the performnace will be better after that. fingers crossed.

Thanks for your reply btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem still exist after the latest update. Still it doesn't matter if it's prores 4444, 422, HQ, LT, MP4, with or without proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines