• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Top 15 Issues/Fixes Needed in the next Premiere Pro release/update (CS6.5 or CS7)

Enthusiast ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m excited for what’s coming next in Premiere Pro CS6.5 or CS7 (whichever update is next). As a former FCP7 user myself, Premiere CS6 was a quick and necessary switch (especially after changing the main keyboard shortcuts back to what I was used to). I’ve since gone back to FCP7 on occasion for certain things and I can tell you that I’m so glad I’ve switched. For all the headaches and serious errors that I still get daily/weekly with Premiere Pro CS6, it’s still definitely a big step up. I'm encouraged by staff members like Mitch W. that have expressed confidence that many of these issues will be resolved in the next release. Here is my personal list of “Top 15 issues/fixes” needed in the current Premiere Pro CS6…

(Adobe STAFF...feel free to print this out and hand it to the engineers responsible for making changes )

1) The infamous multicam FLAW. Needing no introduction…when you are editing your video in the multicam window and you hit pause or stop Premiere has decided that’s a great time to make a cut on your timeline and also switch angles back to the original angle whether you like it or not. You cannot stop ever while editing multicam without Premiere making these unwanted cuts and angle changes. Awful. Multicam in PPro is otherwise pretty nice, but this issue is terribly counter-productive especially when you are editing longer complex multicam sequences. Imagine if every time you hit pause or stop in the regular timeline it made a cut there and switched clips. Ugh. You get my point.

2) The audio meters/levels do not work while in the multicam window. A staff member in the forums (I think it was you) said this was a bug. Hope it will get fixed. The audio levels work in every other window and its essential to be able to keep an eye on the levels while editing multicam.

3) Ticktime.cpp-207 error. Ugh. What a nightmare. I have confidence that it will be fixed soon. Mitch W. from the forums is my new hero for taking on this error. How to replicate it?…simply have 6 (or 7) or more clips with the warp stabilizer effect added on the same timeline as a nested multicam clip and you get this error upon reopening your project. The more warp stabilizers you use, the more times you’ll have to hit “continue” to get through the error before you can open your project or export it to AME. I deal with this every single day because all my projects use these two elements. Most of my projects I have to hit “continue” on the error message upwards of 350-450 times to open my projects. Gets old fast.

4) Icon View order control. When you display all your clips in icon view instead of a list view (In the project window), there is no metadata to allow you to put the clips in order somehow (or at least maintain the order that you have in the list). There are roundabout workarounds, but c’mon.

5) Warp Stabilizer fixes…it is an AMAZING tool (far, far, far better than smoothcam in FCP7) BUT…it has it’s issues. Since I use hundreds of times/week (no exaggeration) I know it’s functions/flaws really well. The issues with Warp Stabilizer:
a) #3 above
b) Toggle OFF the effect after it’s applied and then hit Analyze again and PPro crashes. (easy to avoid but annoying bug)
c) If a clip is in the middle of stabilizing (not just analyzing…but the final step labeled “analyzing”) when Auto-save comes up…most of the time PPro freezes and crashes.
d) The DEFAULT “method” (in the settings for Warp Stabilizer) should NOT be “Subspace Warp”…it should be “Position, Scale, Rotation”. Why? It’s FAAAAARRRR better and more efficient. 95 out of 100 times it causes MUCH less “wobble” in the final stabilized clips AND most importantly 95 out of 100 times it scales the video less. Way better method.

6) The ability to open multiple projects simultaneously. As simple as FCP7 had it…or even better…as cool and efficient as FCPX does it would be nice.

7) The ability to mark a clip and not just a point on a timeline (because if you move the clip, the marker doesn’t go with it). I know you can use “Clip Marker” but it's very limiting, can't be moved, can't add notes, can't advance to the next marker (as far as I know). Also a marker list like FCPX has would be nice so you can see your markers all in a list at a glance and adjust them as needed.

8) Ability to select a clip in the Project window and find out where it’s used in the timeline. I LOVE how you can do the reverse and take a clip in the timeline and “Reveal in Project Window” but it would really help to go the other way around. Dealing with several hundred clips for every project I’ve missed this feature from time to time (FCPX handles this really well).

9) Add a through-edit indicator in timeline and “re-join clips” option. If you cut a clip but keep both clips together it’s just one continuous clip. But I really hope Premiere adds the not only an indicator of some sort (like FCP7s way of having two small red triangles facing each other on that cut) so you know it’s one continuous clip BUT ALSO the ability to right-click and “re-join” the two clips into one.

10) When clip is double-clicked in timeline, CTI position in source viewer should match location in timeline. This one is pretty annoying and a fix would be incredibly helpful. The way it is now is very counter-productive. Definitely hope this gets fixed ASAP.

11) Better border controls for images/videos. Can’t do much with images right now in PPro. At least allow to customize the color and size/strength of it’s borders and shadows.

12) Better support for Mac/Apple's top end computers/GPU's. I'm still surprised that 2011 top of the line iMac cards (AMD 6970M) that have 2gb of ram are not supported. I’m sure/I hope 2012 iMac’s will be supported with their new Nvidia GPU’s…but I’ll hold out hope that the top iMac (up until 3 months ago) is supported at least at it’s full power. All around better Mac support would be great considering the wave of new users coming over from FCP.

13) Opacity/Transparency issues with EXPORTED videos with Cross Dissolves, etc. For some odd reason videos exported from Premiere CS6 have issues with cross dissolves or minor transparency. I’ll try to explain…in the program window of PPro CS6 cross dissolves look fine. Also, if you take a clip and stack it on top of another clip and put the top clip at say 99% opacity instead of 100 it looks like it should in PPro. But, if you export the clips you’ll quickly see that there are issues. It’s almost like the exported videos dissolve from 5 to 95. They skip the subtle beginning (0-5%) and subtle end (95-100%) of any fade. A clip in PPro as described above that is on top of another but set at 99% will look more like 90-95% in the exported file ESPECIALLY if the two clips are contrasting (eg. top layer dark, bottom layer with bright elements). It’s like the opposit of ease-in/ease-out. I have to ease-in/ease-out of every dissolve to avoid this issue…and even then, it’s not THAT much of an “ease” as one would hope. Another user in a forum once posted a video that shows how abruptly exported videos end their transparency changes…see: THIS SAMPLE VIDEO  Perhaps this is a GPU/processing issue with AME vs. Premiere Pro but whatever it is, it should be fixed so videos you export look like the videos you edited!

14) Better control in Creative Cloud over which devices are “activated/deactivated”  We have 3 computers and it would be nice if one could log in to their Creative Cloud account and see a list of which devices they have and just toggle on/off which one’s are activated/deactivated. This is especially helpful when you are mobile and forget to deactivate one of your two home/office devices so you’re stuck now until you get back to the home/office to deactivate it. This is not a Premiere thing, but just a general wish.

15) Ability to sync multicam clips automatically using the audio. Plural eyes apparently does this well. Would be nice to have it built into Premiere like FCPX does. Select all the shots you want to sync, One button click, wait a few seconds, done.

That’s my top 15. Everything else is awesome in my opinion for what I do 10 hours a day 6-7 days a week. I’ve included bug reports/feature requests for all of these at one point but if you are someone else reading this go to the following link and ask for these issues to be fixed: FEATURE REQUEST/BUG REPORT

I wish Adobe did smaller updates more often. Because even if they were smaller updates, we’d at least know you are working on fixing some of these issues that have plagued this NLE for years. Holding off fixes for one or two big “updates” every year is tough to deal with in a world of the ever updating apps we live and play with daily on our phones. I realize Premiere is a much larger scale and far more professional than a phone app, but hopefully you get my point. Here’s to hoping the next release (NAB 2013?) resolves all my top 15 issues. Here’s to hoping that these issues will be resolved sooner than later so I can stop raising hell in various forums. I’m honestly ready to start praising and defending Premiere Pro instead of griping about it’s bugs and flaws. It’s a fantastic program “on the way” to being the best. I hope.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 167 Replies 167
Enthusiast ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot 1 big item:

4. Has the Track Matte effect finally been fixed?  (So that you can scale/reposition the clip with the Track Matte effect without having to nest it first.  Currently if you use the effect directly on a resized/repositioned clip (instead of nesting the altered clip and applying the Track Matte effect the nest), it messes up the composite's positioning and scale.)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2013 Apr 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Has the persistent trim tool selection problem been fixed? (i.e. if a user click-selects an edit point with the Selection Tool (red indicator), they can't toggle that selection to the Ripple Tool (yellow indicator) without first unselecting the selection.  This is a royal pain for many, myself included, so hopefully this has or still can be fixed.)

Thats not true.  I have a Toggle set up to do exactly what you are saying.

In my case  Shift-Z.  ( Custom KB Setting)

This toggles thru any of the edit Modes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right shooternz, you can toggle through every edit Mode with a shortcut.  So I should have been more specific.  What I want to know is if the new version allows users to immediately toggle back and forth between the left trim and the left ripple edit modes by hitting/releasing the Ctrl modifier, for example.  Not being able to do this is counter intuitive and very annoying IMO.  The current toggle isn't a good enough work around since it can require several keystrokes to reach the desired tool instead of just one, in which case it's often faster to simply deselect and reselect the edit point with the desired tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I u nderstand your point entirely ...because the Default...would not be my choice as default ....but I customised it to Shift -Z so its ergo efficient and convenient for the purpose.

Actually I can zip thru the modes faster than I can even remember which one ...in which direction ...that I want or need at the time. A minor delay lets mybrain catch up with my fingers. 

Dont think my head  would cope having  a separate shortcut for all the modes.

Editing does not have to be about speed...its  craft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2013 Apr 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz wrote:

Editing does not have to be about speed...its  craft.

But anything that gets in the way of an editor's creative flow does hinder the craft.  Of course we can get around this, but it's undeniable that the more an NLE gets out of the way by offering fast, intuitive tools, the better it is at supporting our craft of editing.

PPCS6's stubborn edit point selections, that can't be toggled between trim and ripple with a simple press of the Ctrl key, is a clear instance of the NLE getting in the way of the editor's workflow.  This current behavior is illogical and frustrating.  Using a keyboard shortcut as you do to toggle between all of the trim edit modes is not intuitive and efficient, since it requires learning yet another shortcut, and it isn't nearly as fast as pushing/releasing the Ctrl key, which can be accessed 'blindly' (i.e. without diverting one's attention from the screen) due to its favorable position in the bottom left corner of the keyboard.  IMO, one of the best things about PP is that you can instantly toggle between the trim and ripple tools on the fly with the Ctrl key.  This was workflow genius on Adobe's part!  But to not allow the same brilliant toggle once an edit point is selected?  Sorry to say, but that's just down right stupid.

There shouldn't even be a debate about 'if' Adobe should fix this.  It's a workflow haste that needs to be fixed for the sake of efficiency and allowing us to do our craft without getting in our way with unnecessary restriction.

Then again, maybe it has already been fixed in PP Next.   Can anyone confirm this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. In the Adobe Premiere Pro Preview PDF, it states: "Source sequences can now be edited into other sequences without nesting, retaining all of their component tracks and clips."  It sounds like this just means the equivalent of a copy/paste of all contents when dragging a sequence from the Project window into another sequence that's open in the Timeline.  Is this correct or does it mean that nests can be unnested/renested the way they can in FCPX?

It's rather like in FCP 7, when you Command drag a sequence from the Viewer to the Canvas. You can do the same in Avid Media Composer.

More on that here: http://lfhd.net/2010/05/26/fcp-tip-cutting-in-footage-from-another-sequence/

1. Has the persistent trim tool selection problem been fixed? (i.e. if a user click-selects an edit point with the Selection Tool (red indicator), they can't toggle that selection to the Ripple Tool (yellow indicator) without first unselecting the selection.  This is a royal pain for many, myself included, so hopefully this has or still can be fixed.)

I had that issue too until I discovered Preferences > Trim > Allow Selection tool to choose Roll and Ripple trims without modifier key. Now, I do not have to deselect one tool to select another. Try it now in Premiere Pro CS6 and see if that works for you. I think it's pretty cool.

1. Can subclips be created with imbedded effects? (i.e. the way FCP7 allows users to drag/drop clips from the Timeline to a bin, with all applied effects/keyframes preserved, for use later down the road).

Are you talking about effects presets? You can do that now in Premiere Pro, unless I'm missing what you're talking about.

By the way, you were right when you wrote that you thought I'd be happy with this upgrade.  From what I've seen so far, it seems like a solid upgrade!  Just the fixes to multicam and subclips alone make it worthwhile for me.  My only concern is that I feel Adobe shouldn't use bug fixes to force users to upgrade.  For example, the well known multicam problem should have been fixed in a free update, IMO, rather than only included in the next version of PP (thereby forcing users who depend on proper multicam tools to upgrade).  I will be upgrading as soon as it's released, so it doesn't affect me, but I'm thinking about those who use multicam but won't/can't upgrade until later.

I'm glad you like what you see.

I have nothing to do with future pricing or rules for upgrades. You should address your future concerns on the feature request form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Has the persistent trim tool selection problem been fixed? (i.e. if a user click-selects an edit point with the Selection Tool (red indicator), they can't toggle that selection to the Ripple Tool (yellow indicator) without first unselecting the selection.  This is a royal pain for many, myself included, so hopefully this has or still can be fixed.)

I had that issue too until I discovered Preferences > Trim > Allow Selection tool to choose Roll and Ripple trims without modifier key. Now, I do not have to deselect one tool to select another. Try it now in Premiere Pro CS6 and see if that works for you. I think it's pretty cool.

Hi Kevin, I know about that option, but it doesn't solve the problem.  The problem is that if I have an edit point selected with the trim tool, holding down the CTRL key does not change the selection to the ripple trim tool (i.e. it stays red instead of changing yellow, as expected).  The same problem occurs vice versa, using the option you point out:  If an edit point is already selected, holding the CTRL key doesn't change the ripple trim to a trim tool.  This is contrary to what one would expect, and a constant editing annoyance.  In all honesty, this problem should never have passed quality control in CS6, so if in fact it hasn't been fixed in CS Next, it's disheartening to know.

1. Can subclips be created with imbedded effects? (i.e. the way FCP7 allows users to drag/drop clips from the Timeline to a bin, with all applied effects/keyframes preserved, for use later down the road).

Are you talking about effects presets? You can do that now in Premiere Pro, unless I'm missing what you're talking about.

No, I'm talking about one of FCP7's best features: the ability to create a subclip simply by dragging the clip from the Timeline into any project window bin.  Say an editor wants to save a clip with trim points, effects, keyframes and markers for later reuse, doing so should be as simple as drag/dropping it to the project window, from where it can later be dragged back to the Timeline together with all associated trim points, effects, keyframes and markers!  FCP7 does this, so why can't PP? 

Why is this feature so important?  Consider this situation for example:

When using a stock film burn transition (from here for example: http://videohive.net/item/editors-mega-pack/4179719?sso?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_...), the editor needs to:

1. Set the Blend mode to "Screen"
  2. Resize the clip if using a different screen resolution
  3. Find the 'cut point' (i.e. the point in the transition where the whole screen is covered and thus a cut can occur underneath without being visible)
  4. Set a clip marker at the cut point (to add a visual reference point and so that the cut point can snap to the edit point)
  5. Add color correction/tint effects to modify the look of the transition when required
  6. Adjust the volume of the transition's sound effect, when required

That's a lot of work for just 1 transition!  Yet... with FCP7, editors can save all that work for easy reuse by simply dragging the modified transition back into any project window bin.  In Premiere Pro?  Nope!  You have to do all the work over again, OR save the transition in a sequence where you'll hopefully find it again... without the benefit of bin organization, icon view, sorting options, metadata columns, nor search capabilities.  The Project window is fantastic for organizing media for later use, but sequences suck (after all that's not what they're for).  So then why does Premiere force its users to rely solely on Timeline sequences to store clips with effects/markers/keyframes, instead of allowing them to use the Project window???  It just doesn't make any sense!

This is just one of hundreds of situations I've encountered where I wished so dearly that Premiere Pro offered a more intelligent workflow when it comes to organizing clips for future use. 

Hopefully this illustrates why FCP7's drag&drop workflow is so useful, and why Premiere Pro so desperately needs this more intelligent way of working!  If Adobe is serious about getting FCP users to switch to PP, adding this feature is an absolute must IMHO.

Kevin, due to the importance of this missing feature, I would appreciate it if you could share this message with the PP programing team.  If anything isn't crystal clear, please let me know and I'll try to clarify.

1. Will it allow editors to finally slip a clip without slipping the clip's keyframes as well?

No, sorry you cannot. I suggest you copy and paste attributes after slipping to work around that issue.

That's really too bad since the current workaround is terribly frustrating.  By the way, copy/pasting attributes as you suggest doesn't work, since users would end up with duplicates of effects.  You need to select all effects, cut them, do the slip edit, then paste all effects back in.  A keyboard modifier could so easily solve this problem: slip a clip = keyframes stay put.  CTRL-slip a clip = keyframes slip together with the clip!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, I know about that option, but it doesn't solve the problem.  The problem is that if I have an edit point selected with the trim tool, holding down the CTRL key does not change the selection to the ripple trim tool (i.e. it stays red instead of changing yellow, as expected). 

If you want CTRL/CMD + drag to become a Ripple edit, create a feature request.

Personally (and when I say that, I am not speaking for Adobe), with the preference set up the way I explained about earlier, I don't see a clear cut difference. I don't even need to press a modifier to Ripple. Or am I missing something? Rarely do I ever want to trim with the Selection tool, I either want to Select a clip, or Ripple, or Roll.

The same problem occurs vice versa, using the option you point out:  If an edit point is already selected, holding the CTRL key doesn't change the ripple trim to a trim tool.  This is contrary to what one would expect, and a constant editing annoyance.  In all honesty, this problem should never have passed quality control in CS6, so if in fact it hasn't been fixed in CS Next, it's disheartening to know.

Have you tried with the trim preference enabled? If you want the Trim tool and don't want Ripple or Roll, you just press CTRL/CMD. This doesn't work for you?

No, I'm talking about one of FCP7's best features: the ability to create a subclip simply by dragging the clip from the Timeline into any project window bin.  Say an editor wants to save a clip with trim points, effects, keyframes and markers for later reuse, doing so should be as simple as drag/dropping it to the project window, from where it can later be dragged back to the Timeline together with all associated trim points, effects, keyframes and markers!

Sounds like a feature request.

FCP7 does this, so why can't PP?

Anything is possible with software code...so make a feature request. Unfortunately, with software development, you can't just snap your fingers and change everything at once. We're humans and are subject to schedules and budgets. You want many, many, things and I know it's hard to be patient, but give it some time. Keep in mind we do a lot of things much better than FCP 7, and some things in FCP 7 never got fixed.

1. Will it allow editors to finally slip a clip without slipping the clip's keyframes as well?

No, sorry you cannot. I suggest you copy and paste attributes after slipping to work around that issue.

That's really too bad since the current workaround is terribly frustrating.  By the way, copy/pasting attributes as you suggest doesn't work, since users would end up with duplicates of effects.  You need to select all effects, cut them, do the slip edit, then paste all effects back in.  A keyboard modifier could so easily solve this problem: slip a clip = keyframes stay put.  CTRL-slip a clip = keyframes slip together with the clip!   

Looks like your campaign for clip slipping is already under way. Hope you get your feature request in the next version of Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything is possible with software code...so make a feature request. Unfortunately, with software development, you can't just snap your fingers and change everything at once. We're humans and are subject to schedules and budgets. You want many, many, things and I know it's hard to be patient, but give it some time. Keep in mind we do a lot of things much better than FCP 7, and some things in FCP 7 never got fixed.

Yes, I definitely agree that Adobe does A LOT of things better than Apple does!  I'm just concerned with how long things take to get fixed sometimes.  For example, the Premiere team broke the subclip feature by adding hard in/out points in version CS2, years ago, and only now in version CS Next has that mistake finally been fixed.  IMHO, the ability to create a subclip by drag&dropping it from the Timeline to the Project window is such a basic 101-editing type thing that I don't understand why it wasn't programed that way to begin with in the first version of Premiere Pro.  Currently, Premiere Pro offers zero ways for editors to save clips with effects, keyframes and/or markers in the Project window for future use.  This is a serious workflow problem that needs attention ASAP.  I understand that Premiere users might not be clamoring suffienciently for this shortcoming to get imediate attention, but that's because Premiere users who have never used FCP likely don't even know what they're missing (and likewise can't request what they don't even know exists as an option).  As I've said many times, IMO, this is PP's biggest shortcoming vs FCP (and also FCP7's last remaining big advantage vs PP).

Looks like your campaign for clip slipping is already under way. Hope you get your feature request in the next version of Premiere Pro.

With Adobe's new Cloud model that allows features to be legally released before their yearly upgrades, waiting until the next version of PP is too long a wait IMO.  I, for one, would switch to Adobe's Cloud in a hearbeat if they added this simple feature before next year!  And I'm sure many many other users would too if Adobe released regular updates the way Apple does with FCPX.

That's one area where I have to commend Apple.  They keep release free updates with new feature for FCPX... in an attempt to hold on to the users they've been losing to Adobe and others, but it's a commendable effort nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, Premiere Pro offers zero ways for editors to save clips with effects, keyframes and/or markers in the Project window for future use.  This is a serious workflow problem that needs attention ASAP. I understand that Premiere users might not be clamoring suffienciently for this shortcoming to get imediate attention, but that's because Premiere users who have never used FCP likely don't even know what they're missing (and likewise can't request what they don't even know exists as an option).  As I've said many times, IMO, this is PP's biggest shortcoming vs FCP (and also FCP7's last remaining big advantage vs PP).

Currently an editor can create a sequence out of a single clip or a group of clips with all effects, keyframes etc. etc. for future use. So as to do that from the timeline just select what you need, right-click and choose 'Nest' (assign a custom keyboard shortcut for nesting, if you want). Therefore, there is no any PrPro issues related to this point that needs developers' attention ASAP, there are probably issues with FCP style attitude of mind. Or maybe I miss something really crucial...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

Therefore, there is no any PrPro issues related to this point that needs developers' attention ASAP,

It seems you've missed the point altogether.  I know about Nesting and it's a great feature, but not for organizing modified clips for future use.  Let me repeat/elaborate:

Advantages of storing clips with effects/markers/keyframes in the Project window:

1. Searchable
  2. Viewable in Icon view in addition to list view
  3. Sortable
  4. Easy organization through Bin/Sub-Bin hierarchies
  5. Access to metadata columns such as 'Video Use', 'Audio Use', etc.
  6. Can delete the original instance from the Timeline, thereby setting the 'Video/Audio Use' metadata column values back to zero, making it easy to keep track of which subclips have or haven't been used yet.
  7. Can delete the original sequence without losing any of the created subclips.

Advantages of storing clips with effects/markers/keyframes in Sequences:

• None of the above

This has nothing to do with "issues with FCP style attitude of mind" as you say.  It has to do with wanting the best workflow possible in Premiere Pro.  It just so happens that FCP allowed it's users to do this years and years ago.  It's a shame the Adobe doesn't want to allow us the convenience and added benefits of storing our modified clips in the Project window.  At least not yet.

So yes, this IS a matter that's in need of the Premiere Pro team's attention... ASAP.  Hopefully I've clarified this enough so you now understand the value of storing modified clips in the Project window vs the Timeline and can ask for this through your own official FR.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know about Nesting and it's a great feature

Well, that means all your statements here about using a stock film burn transition are just false arguments.

Advantages of storing clips with effects/markers/keyframes in the Project window:

1. Searchable 
  2. Viewable in Icon view in addition to list view 
  3. Sortable 
  4. Easy organization through Bin/Sub-Bin hierarchies 
  5. Access to metadata columns such as 'Video Use', 'Audio Use', etc. 
  6. Can delete the original instance from the Timeline, thereby setting the 'Video/Audio Use' metadata column values back to zero, making it easy to keep track of which subclips have or haven't been used yet. 
  7. Can delete the original sequence without losing any of the created subclips

And in which way sequences are not searchable, sortable, have difficulties in organising through bin hierarchy ??? And how deleting a nested sequence instance in the timeline or even deleting original sequence, which contained the nested sequence affect the nested sequence asset in the Project panel ???

Regard to icon view and access to metadata for the project asset called 'Sequence', maybe it's a different story?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

Well, that means all your statements here about using a stock film burn transition are just false arguments.

I have no idea what you mean.  Please explain.

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

And in which way sequences are not searchable, sortable, have difficulties in organising through bin hierarchy ???

Yes, you can search and sort sequences in the Project Window, but you can't search and sort their CONTENTS.  Once again you've missed the point.

If what you meant is that users should nest every modified clip they want to store in the Project Window, that is a possible workaround, since you can store nests containing modified clips in the Project Window (although nests cannot be saved with markers in the Project Window, so it still wouldn't be useful for markers).  However, it would make much more sense and be far more user friendly for Adobe to allow us to store modified clips directly in the Project Window, without having to create a new nest for each modified clip we want to save for later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what you mean. Please explain.

Re-read your own comment, to which I pointed:

When using a stock film burn transition the editor needs to:

1. Set the Blend mode to "Screen" 
  2. Resize the clip if using a different screen resolution 
  3. Find the 'cut point' (i.e. the point in the transition where the whole screen is covered and thus a cut can occur underneath without being visible) 
  4. Set a clip marker at the cut point (to add a visual reference point and so that the cut point can snap to the edit point) 
  5. Add color correction/tint effects to modify the look of the transition when required 
  6. Adjust the volume of the transition's sound effect, when required

That's a lot of work for just 1 transition!  Yet... with FCP7, editors can save all that work for easy reuse by simply dragging the modified transition back into any project window bin.  In Premiere Pro?  Nope!  You have to do all the work over again

And what you actually need to re-adjust while utilising nesting? Just set appropriate blending mode when you reuse this asset in another place within the same original sequence or another sequence. But that's exactly the same behaviour pre-comps have in After Effects, when one chooses to move all attributes to the pre-comp. And having consistent behaviour throughout the Suite is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

Yes, you can search and sort sequences in the Project Window, but you can't search and sort their CONTENTS.  Once again you've missed the point.

Would you be so kind to explain which point exactly I missed? How can you search and sort the CONTENT of a subclip?

If what you meant is that users should nest every modified clip they want to store in the Project Window, that is a possible workaround, since you can store nests containing modified clips in the Project Window...

That's not a workaround at all, that's how it works in PrPro: every nested sequence, which you create in the timeline, is automatically stored in the Project panel a brand new asset.

...although nests cannot be saved with markers in the Project Window, so it still wouldn't be useful for markers...

Huh?

...it would make much more sense and be far more user friendly for Adobe to allow us to store modified clips directly in the Project Window, without having to create a new nest for each modified clip we want to save for later..

Really? And what is the difference in how an asset is called?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got one great question which I would like the Adobe development team to answer. Since bugs and all other issues do not get fixed in the released version (like the tick time error caused by the warp stabiliser) Does it appear a worthwhile investment to use the CLOUD servive rather than buy the upgrade discs. Pay as you go means that you do not own a licence to use the ADOBE software, so you can go from someone to noene within a month of failed subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloude Service is another way to go with Adobe Softwares. But the day your company becomes stuck with monthly payments, I would like to think that all your credentials will be terminated. For instance if you are goin to use this service till 2015 that means, if you fail to pay you will have to revert to CS5.5 since you paid for the licence. By then we will be using Adobe CSX!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone around...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srukweza wrote:

But the day your company becomes stuck with monthly payments, I would like to think that all your credentials will be terminated.

Hi srukweza, what do you mean when you say 'your credentials will be terminated.'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So buy CSX after you stop making your payments. Then you will have the latest and greatest.

As I have said before, loyal subscribers of the Creative Cloud should get a reasonable discount on a boxed set if they chose to buy one. After all, Adobe would rather get some money than none if you stop subscribing. And certainly, a special deal at the time of a new release that would allow you to buy the old version to keep on your PC in order to always be able to go back and edit old products would be good for you and for Adobe.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 03, 2013 May 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a very sensible solution Steven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srukweza,

I guess you have your answer now.  Only Cloud for new features from here on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere CC it is. June 17th I guess. Can't wait. As for Creative Cloud for everything...

Let's just hope they figure out issue #14 on my list. I think Creative Cloud is a good idea. Yes, I think that it'd be nice if once a new version comes out a hard copy of the old version could be purchased or something like that but really, what concerns me the most is an issue that happened to me in December where I was locked out of my apps for several days after trying to deactivate one device and activate another. I was out of town, away from my office trying to activate my laptop and got the message "We're sorry...there's been an error trying to activate/deactivate your devices...You must contact Customer Service to activate your device" Problem was...it was after hours going into a holiday and Customer Service wasn't around for the next few days. I was basically locked out of my own apps with no way to fix it myself. Nightmare.

After bringing it up in this thread...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5204761

...the staff was very nice about it. But that doesn't take away the fact that it could happen again unless they do something like I proposed in the thread above. That's my only fear going forward with Adobe CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least you got answer and assistance from Adobe staff. As I told in another thread I accidentaly locked an Avid MC5 license by forgeting to deactivate it prior to formating. Never got an answer from Avid regarding the issue. It's still locked as of today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The persistent trim tool selection problem has not been fixed. When I first switched to Premiere, I thought it was a bug. It seems it's intentional behavior, but I don't understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully that checkbox remembers the last state used, so you don't have to uncheck it everytime you create a subclip.  Do you know the answer to that?  Outstanding news!

Yes, I just tested it. It does remember the last state used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines