• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Top 15 Issues/Fixes Needed in the next Premiere Pro release/update (CS6.5 or CS7)

Enthusiast ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m excited for what’s coming next in Premiere Pro CS6.5 or CS7 (whichever update is next). As a former FCP7 user myself, Premiere CS6 was a quick and necessary switch (especially after changing the main keyboard shortcuts back to what I was used to). I’ve since gone back to FCP7 on occasion for certain things and I can tell you that I’m so glad I’ve switched. For all the headaches and serious errors that I still get daily/weekly with Premiere Pro CS6, it’s still definitely a big step up. I'm encouraged by staff members like Mitch W. that have expressed confidence that many of these issues will be resolved in the next release. Here is my personal list of “Top 15 issues/fixes” needed in the current Premiere Pro CS6…

(Adobe STAFF...feel free to print this out and hand it to the engineers responsible for making changes )

1) The infamous multicam FLAW. Needing no introduction…when you are editing your video in the multicam window and you hit pause or stop Premiere has decided that’s a great time to make a cut on your timeline and also switch angles back to the original angle whether you like it or not. You cannot stop ever while editing multicam without Premiere making these unwanted cuts and angle changes. Awful. Multicam in PPro is otherwise pretty nice, but this issue is terribly counter-productive especially when you are editing longer complex multicam sequences. Imagine if every time you hit pause or stop in the regular timeline it made a cut there and switched clips. Ugh. You get my point.

2) The audio meters/levels do not work while in the multicam window. A staff member in the forums (I think it was you) said this was a bug. Hope it will get fixed. The audio levels work in every other window and its essential to be able to keep an eye on the levels while editing multicam.

3) Ticktime.cpp-207 error. Ugh. What a nightmare. I have confidence that it will be fixed soon. Mitch W. from the forums is my new hero for taking on this error. How to replicate it?…simply have 6 (or 7) or more clips with the warp stabilizer effect added on the same timeline as a nested multicam clip and you get this error upon reopening your project. The more warp stabilizers you use, the more times you’ll have to hit “continue” to get through the error before you can open your project or export it to AME. I deal with this every single day because all my projects use these two elements. Most of my projects I have to hit “continue” on the error message upwards of 350-450 times to open my projects. Gets old fast.

4) Icon View order control. When you display all your clips in icon view instead of a list view (In the project window), there is no metadata to allow you to put the clips in order somehow (or at least maintain the order that you have in the list). There are roundabout workarounds, but c’mon.

5) Warp Stabilizer fixes…it is an AMAZING tool (far, far, far better than smoothcam in FCP7) BUT…it has it’s issues. Since I use hundreds of times/week (no exaggeration) I know it’s functions/flaws really well. The issues with Warp Stabilizer:
a) #3 above
b) Toggle OFF the effect after it’s applied and then hit Analyze again and PPro crashes. (easy to avoid but annoying bug)
c) If a clip is in the middle of stabilizing (not just analyzing…but the final step labeled “analyzing”) when Auto-save comes up…most of the time PPro freezes and crashes.
d) The DEFAULT “method” (in the settings for Warp Stabilizer) should NOT be “Subspace Warp”…it should be “Position, Scale, Rotation”. Why? It’s FAAAAARRRR better and more efficient. 95 out of 100 times it causes MUCH less “wobble” in the final stabilized clips AND most importantly 95 out of 100 times it scales the video less. Way better method.

6) The ability to open multiple projects simultaneously. As simple as FCP7 had it…or even better…as cool and efficient as FCPX does it would be nice.

7) The ability to mark a clip and not just a point on a timeline (because if you move the clip, the marker doesn’t go with it). I know you can use “Clip Marker” but it's very limiting, can't be moved, can't add notes, can't advance to the next marker (as far as I know). Also a marker list like FCPX has would be nice so you can see your markers all in a list at a glance and adjust them as needed.

8) Ability to select a clip in the Project window and find out where it’s used in the timeline. I LOVE how you can do the reverse and take a clip in the timeline and “Reveal in Project Window” but it would really help to go the other way around. Dealing with several hundred clips for every project I’ve missed this feature from time to time (FCPX handles this really well).

9) Add a through-edit indicator in timeline and “re-join clips” option. If you cut a clip but keep both clips together it’s just one continuous clip. But I really hope Premiere adds the not only an indicator of some sort (like FCP7s way of having two small red triangles facing each other on that cut) so you know it’s one continuous clip BUT ALSO the ability to right-click and “re-join” the two clips into one.

10) When clip is double-clicked in timeline, CTI position in source viewer should match location in timeline. This one is pretty annoying and a fix would be incredibly helpful. The way it is now is very counter-productive. Definitely hope this gets fixed ASAP.

11) Better border controls for images/videos. Can’t do much with images right now in PPro. At least allow to customize the color and size/strength of it’s borders and shadows.

12) Better support for Mac/Apple's top end computers/GPU's. I'm still surprised that 2011 top of the line iMac cards (AMD 6970M) that have 2gb of ram are not supported. I’m sure/I hope 2012 iMac’s will be supported with their new Nvidia GPU’s…but I’ll hold out hope that the top iMac (up until 3 months ago) is supported at least at it’s full power. All around better Mac support would be great considering the wave of new users coming over from FCP.

13) Opacity/Transparency issues with EXPORTED videos with Cross Dissolves, etc. For some odd reason videos exported from Premiere CS6 have issues with cross dissolves or minor transparency. I’ll try to explain…in the program window of PPro CS6 cross dissolves look fine. Also, if you take a clip and stack it on top of another clip and put the top clip at say 99% opacity instead of 100 it looks like it should in PPro. But, if you export the clips you’ll quickly see that there are issues. It’s almost like the exported videos dissolve from 5 to 95. They skip the subtle beginning (0-5%) and subtle end (95-100%) of any fade. A clip in PPro as described above that is on top of another but set at 99% will look more like 90-95% in the exported file ESPECIALLY if the two clips are contrasting (eg. top layer dark, bottom layer with bright elements). It’s like the opposit of ease-in/ease-out. I have to ease-in/ease-out of every dissolve to avoid this issue…and even then, it’s not THAT much of an “ease” as one would hope. Another user in a forum once posted a video that shows how abruptly exported videos end their transparency changes…see: THIS SAMPLE VIDEO  Perhaps this is a GPU/processing issue with AME vs. Premiere Pro but whatever it is, it should be fixed so videos you export look like the videos you edited!

14) Better control in Creative Cloud over which devices are “activated/deactivated”  We have 3 computers and it would be nice if one could log in to their Creative Cloud account and see a list of which devices they have and just toggle on/off which one’s are activated/deactivated. This is especially helpful when you are mobile and forget to deactivate one of your two home/office devices so you’re stuck now until you get back to the home/office to deactivate it. This is not a Premiere thing, but just a general wish.

15) Ability to sync multicam clips automatically using the audio. Plural eyes apparently does this well. Would be nice to have it built into Premiere like FCPX does. Select all the shots you want to sync, One button click, wait a few seconds, done.

That’s my top 15. Everything else is awesome in my opinion for what I do 10 hours a day 6-7 days a week. I’ve included bug reports/feature requests for all of these at one point but if you are someone else reading this go to the following link and ask for these issues to be fixed: FEATURE REQUEST/BUG REPORT

I wish Adobe did smaller updates more often. Because even if they were smaller updates, we’d at least know you are working on fixing some of these issues that have plagued this NLE for years. Holding off fixes for one or two big “updates” every year is tough to deal with in a world of the ever updating apps we live and play with daily on our phones. I realize Premiere is a much larger scale and far more professional than a phone app, but hopefully you get my point. Here’s to hoping the next release (NAB 2013?) resolves all my top 15 issues. Here’s to hoping that these issues will be resolved sooner than later so I can stop raising hell in various forums. I’m honestly ready to start praising and defending Premiere Pro instead of griping about it’s bugs and flaws. It’s a fantastic program “on the way” to being the best. I hope.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 167 Replies 167
Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2013 Apr 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

One last thing: does "Option to control linear colour for GPU cross dissolves and opacity" mean that cross dissolves will finally be smooth (i.e. 0-100% fades instead of a choppy 5-95%)?  If so, YES!!!!  FINALLY!!

I assume so, but I should ask around before I can say that occurs.

Hi Kevin!

I too would love to know exactly what Steve meant when he said that as well. Interestingly I borrowed a co-worker's laptop that has an approved GPU and I noticed today that when GPU accleration is turned off in my project settings (so it says software only) those cross dissolve/opacity "5-95%" issues do NOT seem to appear in the project window ...BUT they do appear in the project window when GPU acceleration is turned on in the project settings. The opacity issue was also passed on to the exported video in most cases (depending on project and export settings). I know it's only been a short time so far since this little "reveal" but I'm curious if you've been able to ask around yet and find out what exactly Steve meant by his opacity quote above and if the issue I described above (#13 on my list) is resolved.

Like I said before, the new upcoming release looks outstanding. It appears that many of my top 15 are checked off and more. I'm still curious if some of the warp stabilizer issues (#3 and #5 on the list) as well as this opacity issue (#13) on my list above have been addressed but from what I've seen so far Adobe has done an amazing job of not only listening to their customers over the last year but also taking the lead in new and creative ways to expand and streamline the ways in which Premiere and other Adobe programs can be used individually and together. So be sure to thank the engineers for all their hard work. Can't wait!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DMG79 - Yes, this sounds exactly like the opacity behavior this new sequence setting gives you control over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveHoeg wrote:

DMG79 - Yes, this sounds exactly like the opacity behavior this new sequence setting gives you control over.

Thanks Steve...excited to see how it works.

I'll cross my fingers for #3/5 on my list. Awesome improvments. Everyone is excited. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin - happy to have found this post, as subclip behavior was beginning to drive me mad.  Wondering if you know whether this option of unchecking "Restrict Trims To Subclip Boundaries" will be in Prelude as well?  My producer logs and subclips in Prelude before I take over in PPro, and it would be another hit to Prelude if this ability wasn't available across the board.  A la FCP in the way subclips were nested, are there any plans to be able to easily identify/return to the master clip that the subclip was created from?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean@Idealist wrote:

Kevin - happy to have found this post, as subclip behavior was beginning to drive me mad.  Wondering if you know whether this option of unchecking "Restrict Trims To Subclip Boundaries" will be in Prelude as well? 

Hi Sean,

Prelude only has subclips which do not restrict trims to subclip boundaries. Hope that's OK.

are there any plans to be able to easily identify/return to the master clip that the subclip was created from?  Thanks!

You can always make a request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for such a quick reply Kevin.  Am I correct that in PPro the only way to edit the subclip boundaries is, while the clip is in the Project Bin, blindly dragging the start/end point?

Submitted a feature request for the second item.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is this Christmas eve? Will tomorrow (June 17th) be bringing great things for us Premiere Pro users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DMH79 wrote:

So is this Christmas eve? Will tomorrow (June 17th) be bringing great things for us Premiere Pro users?

Only if you subscribe to the Creative Cloud. Owners of perpetual Creative Suite licenses will not see any updates at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...I'm a CC subsciber so...here's to hoping tomorrow brings great things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL190365

You do know you are advocating to be charged forever and never own the item.

600. per year for as long as you have a career. Its like fees.

so every year .......

850. for your 2 cars

900. for homeowners fees

4k in residential taxes

600. for ADOBE??

forever? I could even see this if you had to pay the cloud until you reached a fair market value like car payments. 48 months and you own it.

They are gonna have to make the software do flips for that to be an option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you got it wrong. I did not actually advocate non-ownership. I merely reiterated what Adobe itself had already announced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2013 Apr 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of multicam fixes, one thing I noticed while watching the Lynda.com series on the new Premiere features was that while the person presenting the course was cutting a multicam clip, the audio appeared to stay intact! 

It's possible that the audio was a separate clip and I'm just fantasizing here, but this would be a much welcomed change in the behavior of multicam.  It's always baffled me why there wasn't at least an option to leave the audio alone.  And too many cuts to the audio always caused Premiere to have to "render required files", which also threw me for a loop.  Along with the way that instead of mixing the audio from the source sequence, it only played back what was on track one.  Truly quirky behavior.

So I'm hoping what I saw in that Lynda series was an indication that this stuff got ironed out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MonkeyEatsMonkey wrote:

Speaking of multicam fixes, one thing I noticed while watching the Lynda.com series on the new Premiere features was that while the person presenting the course was cutting a multicam clip, the audio appeared to stay intact! 

It's possible that the audio was a separate clip and I'm just fantasizing here, but this would be a much welcomed change in the behavior of multicam.  It's always baffled me why there wasn't at least an option to leave the audio alone.  And too many cuts to the audio always caused Premiere to have to "render required files", which also threw me for a loop.  Along with the way that instead of mixing the audio from the source sequence, it only played back what was on track one.  Truly quirky behavior.

So I'm hoping what I saw in that Lynda series was an indication that this stuff got ironed out. 

Hi...you can edit multicam in the current version of Premiere without the audio being edited for sure. I'm sure there are several ways to do this but what I normally do is stack all my clips on top of each other (sync'd of course) and then alt+select the video tracks only and then right-click and hit "NEST". Then right-click and select "MULTICAM>ENABLE". Done. Now you have all your audio tracks sitting there and only the video tracks are multicam enabled. Like I said, I'm guessing there are other ways to do this but I've never had an issue with audio following video in my mulitcam cuts. My issue was always that audio meters/levels didn't work and when you hit stop or pause during a multicam edit PPro would make a cut in the timeline and sometimes switch angles but it looks like both of those issues are resolved in the upcoming version...thank god! Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DMH79 wrote:

I'm sure there are several ways to do this but what I normally do is stack all my clips on top of each other (sync'd of course) and then alt+select the video tracks only and then right-click and hit "NEST". Then right-click and select "MULTICAM>ENABLE". Done.

I never even thought to try this!  I usually just drag and drop the entire sequence full of synced clips into another sequence (audio and all) and use the whole thing as my multicam clip.  But this actually works!  Thanks for the tip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, could you shed some light on Smart Rendering: will it work in a scenario with Adobe Dynamic Link involved?

Here is the workflow. When I'm done with complex dynamically linked comp, and it's ready for rendering digital intermediate, there are two options:

- send the composition to After Effects Render Queue;

- send the composition to Adobe Media Encoder.

Pros for the latter one:

- an ability to keep working in After Effects while AME is rendering.

Cons:

- AME doesn't include the After Effects project link into the media file metadata. Hence, it's impossible to use 'Edit Original' option in PrPro timeline.

So as to enjoy the best of both worlds, I render out dynamically linked comp in AME and then set that digital intermediate as a proxy for the comp.

Pros:

- no needs to import and replace anything in PrPro project;

- an ability to keep working in After Effects while AME is rendering;

- an ability to use 'Edit Original' option in PrPro timeline.

Cons:

- since dynamiclinkmanager is involved, there is slight performance worsening: without rendering preview the playback in full resolution may be jittery (at least on my machine, which is not a modern multicore beast, but that's not an issue at all though).

So, the question is: will Smart Rendering be able to recognise my digital intermediate set as a proxy for dynamically linked comp and, therefore, not to re-encode the piece (considering the DI's and the final output formats are identical)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been unabashedly pushing for Premiere Pro to become more like FCP7.

When I tried Premiere Pro CS5.5 a year and a half ago, it was somewhat Windows-y and had so many silly and seemingly easily correctable flaws that I almost gave up on it. (And those visual jog controls took up a crazy amount of space for controls that no one had touched since 2000 if they knew about J-K-L.)

But the overall editing paradigm was very similar to Final Cut Classic's. So I submitted my feature requests, posted a long blog article, and lo and behold, Adobe took some wonderful steps in the right direction with CS6. I guess I wasn't the only one clamoring for those things.

With CC, I think the Final Cut Pro 8 I've been not-so-patiently waiting for has pretty much arrived. Now that it has, I hope Adobe concentrates on stability, another hallmark of FCP7.

My list of 88 gripes has been reduced to 63: Premiere Pro CC: Wish List Scorecard

Back to DMH79's original post:

1, 2) That's great that the multicam flaws has apparently been corrected.

3, 5) Warp Stabilizer has been very buggy from the start. It's super awesome when it's not causing crashes. I haven't had a chance to test it extensively in CC. How's it looking?

4) The Project panel is still pretty slipshod when it comes to arranging and previewing clips. I second everything you said.

Additionally, when you double-click a bin, it never remembers the window size. Is this version 1.0?

Here's what I would really like to see also: get rid of the tiny little thumb in the Preview Area and make it so that a single click on a clip displays the clip in the Source Monitor panel. I tend to leave the Project viewer in list mode. I would love to use the arrow keys or click on clips — utilizing the sorting and info that comes with list view in tact — and immediately see the clip in the nice big Source Monitor panel.

6) The ability to open multiple projects simultaneously has been on just about everyone's list for a long time. Yes, please!

7) Clip marking: It drives me absolutely crazy that you can't simply select a clip and mark a frame.

8) As far as the ability to select a clip in the Project panel and find out where it’s used in the timeline, that would definitely be nice. The only thing is that I want them to rethink the whole manner in which clips in the Project panel are connected to clips in the Timeline.

For instance, if you change the name of a clip in a bin, it doesn't change the name in the timeline. That's fine. Yet, I can't delete a clip from a bin if it's been used in any sequence in the entire project without removing it from that Sequence. Are they connected or not?

This brings me to another big gripe, which someone mentioned above, which is that you can't drop an effect or keep effects attached to clips in the bins. That seems pretty basic to me coming from FCP.

9) They added a “Join Through Edits” if you right click on a through edit. Just note that you have to turn on “Show Through Edits” in the Timeline settings to see them.

10) I can't help but notice that this is the exact wording of my gripe #51! Double clicking a clip in the timeline should definitely move the CTI in the Source panel to the same frame. It's super annoying.

11) Better border controls for images/videos: Yeah, how about any border controls? It's great that I can jump right into Photoshop to add a border to a still, but that would be like having to Dynamic Link over to After Effects to add a vignette. Oh, wait…

12) Better support for the GPUs of top-of-the-line iMacs has been literally #1 on my list since making the switch. I have given up hope on this one. The very latest iMacs have NVIDIA cards, but not the ones from just a year or two ago.

13) Opacity/Transparency issues with EXPORTED videos with Cross Dissolves: I haven't come across this one, but it sounds irritating. I generally export to ProRes and then do my compression in Apple Compressor, because Media Encoder's H.264/QuickTime compression is visibly inferior at the same bit rates.

14) This makes sense. Have there been any improvements to activation/deactivation controls in Creative Cloud?

15) They added syncing by waveform for Merged Clips. I have not had any luck with this yet. It didn't work when I tried to use it, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dax!

Thanks for "bringing it all back home" again after this thread went in many directions. I've only limited PPro experience so far with a lot to like, but I had to stop and go back to CS6 due to the multicam bug mentioned below. See my responses underlined in bold below. Thanks!

Dax Roggio wrote:

I have been unabashedly pushing for Premiere Pro to become more like FCP7.

When I tried Premiere Pro CS5.5 a year and a half ago, it was somewhat Windows-y and had so many silly and seemingly easily correctable flaws that I almost gave up on it. (And those visual jog controls took up a crazy amount of space for controls that no one had touched since 2000 if they knew about J-K-L.)

But the overall editing paradigm was very similar to Final Cut Classic's. So I submitted my feature requests, posted a long blog article, and lo and behold, Adobe took some wonderful steps in the right direction with CS6. I guess I wasn't the only one clamoring for those things.

With CC, I think the Final Cut Pro 8 I've been not-so-patiently waiting for has pretty much arrived. Now that it has, I hope Adobe concentrates on stability, another hallmark of FCP7.

My list of 88 gripes has been reduced to 63: Premiere Pro CC: Wish List Scorecard

Back to DMH79's original post:

1, 2) That's great that the multicam flaws has apparently been corrected.  Definitely nice not to have to deal with these two issues any more. Tested, and approved. HOWEVER, a new bug has infected and crippled the new CC multicam: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1236698?start=0&tstart=0

3, 5) Warp Stabilizer has been very buggy from the start. It's super awesome when it's not causing crashes. I haven't had a chance to test it extensively in CC. How's it looking? I have only used it about 10-15 times on one project but I then stopped the project because of the multicam issue above and went back to CS6. But the ticktime error is gone I believe. It still has "Subspace Warp" as the default method in the settings which is unfortunate for the reasons I mentioned. I use multicam and stabilizer so much and really I have enjoyed the warp stabilizer experience outside of the few little gripes and I'm excited to try out VFX in AE soon.

4) The Project panel is still pretty slipshod when it comes to arranging and previewing clips. I second everything you said.

Additionally, when you double-click a bin, it never remembers the window size. Is this version 1.0?

Here's what I would really like to see also: get rid of the tiny little thumb in the Preview Area and make it so that a single click on a clip displays the clip in the Source Monitor panel. I tend to leave the Project viewer in list mode. I would love to use the arrow keys or click on clips — utilizing the sorting and info that comes with list view in tact — and immediately see the clip in the nice big Source Monitor panel.  I actually think those are two great ideas! Single click display and arrow key navigation would be awesome. Make a feature request and maybe in 2015 we'll see them! I kid of course...sort of.

6) The ability to open multiple projects simultaneously has been on just about everyone's list for a long time. Yes, please!  The 15th post in this thread mentions that you can browse multiple PPro projects using the media browser. Haven't tried yet, but it's better than nothing. It's no FCPX in this regard, but again, better than nothing I guess.

7) Clip marking: It drives me absolutely crazy that you can't simply select a clip and mark a frame. Markers have been improved but again, I stopped messing around with CC when I hit the multicam wall, so I've yet to see if this is possible. Others in this forum probably know more about this.

8) As far as the ability to select a clip in the Project panel and find out where it’s used in the timeline, that would definitely be nice. The only thing is that I want them to rethink the whole manner in which clips in the Project panel are connected to clips in the Timeline.  You actually can do this. I just didn't know at the time. See post #2 in this thread.

For instance, if you change the name of a clip in a bin, it doesn't change the name in the timeline. That's fine. Yet, I can't delete a clip from a bin if it's been used in any sequence in the entire project without removing it from that Sequence. Are they connected or not?

This brings me to another big gripe, which someone mentioned above, which is that you can't drop an effect or keep effects attached to clips in the bins. That seems pretty basic to me coming from FCP.

9) They added a “Join Through Edits” if you right click on a through edit. Just note that you have to turn on “Show Through Edits” in the Timeline settings to see them.  Yes. Seems to look and work real nice in my limited time with CC. Great!

10) I can't help but notice that this is the exact wording of my gripe #51! Double clicking a clip in the timeline should definitely move the CTI in the Source panel to the same frame. It's super annoying.  It IS the exact wording from your site because I wrote this post after reading through yours and I never knew how to describe this until I read your post so I copied . Not sure if this made it into CC.

11) Better border controls for images/videos: Yeah, how about any border controls? It's great that I can jump right into Photoshop to add a border to a still, but that would be like having to Dynamic Link over to After Effects to add a vignette. Oh, wait…  Not sure about this yet. Still have to check. I saw drop shadow in CC, but that might have been in CS6. But yeah, more border controls would be nice.

12) Better support for the GPUs of top-of-the-line iMacs has been literally #1 on my list since making the switch. I have given up hope on this one. The very latest iMacs have NVIDIA cards, but not the ones from just a year or two ago. They do now support all GPU's with more than 1GB of VRAM and so my 2011 iMac with the AMD 6970M w/ 1GB VRAM is now GPU accelerated. That's nice. I'm surprised this card (which was the highest end card of 2011-late 2012's iMac's didn't get officially "supported" but at least it works now.

13) Opacity/Transparency issues with EXPORTED videos with Cross Dissolves: I haven't come across this one, but it sounds irritating. I generally export to ProRes and then do my compression in Apple Compressor, because Media Encoder's H.264/QuickTime compression is visibly inferior at the same bit rates.  I haven't tested this one either on the new CC. Post #15 did mention something about this being helped in CC, but it's a hard one to describe so I'll have to check myself if its solved. It's crazy that an export would look different than what you see on the timeline.

14) This makes sense. Have there been any improvements to activation/deactivation controls in Creative Cloud?  No. Adobe was nice about my issue and gave me a free month which I didn't ask for, but honestly I'd rather pay for that month and have the ability/control so that I don't get "locked out" of my own projects ever again. This solution seems reasonable and efficient. I won't hold my breath, but you never know.

15) They added syncing by waveform for Merged Clips. I have not had any luck with this yet. It didn't work when I tried to use it, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.  The one long timeline I sync'd by audio did work. So that's nice. I never double checked it was perfectly sync'd but it looked good to me. Again, I stopped working on CC, when I re-opened my multicam project and it was completely messed up due to the multicam bug in the link above (#1)...so I'm back on CS6 for now. Sigh.

My only new gripe in limited use so far (beyond the new awful multicam bug described above) is that if you change the "appearance" to a lighter background in Premiere Pro CC, you can't see the in and out markings/area in the source and project window. In CS6, changing appearance changed the color of that "work area" to light blue to work with the lighter background, but it seems as if Adobe didn't optimize the lighter background for actual use as the in/out area in PPro CC remains light in color and basically is invisible when you change appearances. Now, I agree that the dark background looks MUCH cooler and I really do like it, but it's hard on my eyes after 10hrs. a day - 6 days/week so I kind of need to change it to light background...but sadly, Premiere Pro CC's version of the light background is not so great. I submitted a feature request...but since it's not a bug report, I may be at the back of the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of PPro as more usage than simply editing and how many plugins there are. Lots people never truly leave PPro.

DMH79

I know everyone has different workflows and habits but I would am this one more at the Source Monitor. Depending on where you get the clips is an important thing. I have seen some editors pull the full reals into the project as bins. I dont use this method I prefer to use the media browser so that the clips that end up in my asset window are actually in the sequence or have been used in the sequence.

This gives me the a raw file that is always there and can be reused or recut. It still references the file on hdd but is in many ways its on source within the project.

Why i am this at the source monitor is that is that once a clip has been semi graded or CC'ed, when it is dbl clicked it loads with no effects even though when you switch to the effects window you can tweak that grade and see changes in the sequence monitor.

Having it load to the souce monitor with the effect on it is more efficient for matching light grades without ganging another monitor to the sequence. That can be really good for multi-screen editors who would prefer to have one monitor with near uniform color across the screen. I know that you should use an external but for me it is faster to get a light grade and then use my external through and I/O to finalize.

Here's what I would really like to see also: get rid of the tiny little thumb in the Preview Area and make it so that a single click on a clip displays the clip in the Source Monitor panel.

I actually prefer having to toggle from source to effects. Because there are no effects seen on a clip when double clicked to load in the source monitor from the sequence. there is a lot of dependancy on the sequence monitor to see how you are effecting the clip. This is why i gang an extra monitor to the sequence monitor and put it on my second screen for reference. I toggle it from ganged to unganged to hold shots.

If you have a single click load video to the source monitor, what happens when your primary concern is the effects?

Currently in cs6 you can click a point in the sequence and see whats in the sequence monitor. When you click once you get the effects for that clip if that is the last tab used in the source monitor. Add this feature to the 3rd monitor and you get reference for your effects.

Its not everyones style but i am sure there are other who do the same. I used fcp until FCPX then i held on to FCP7 until i got use to premier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know about the increased support for AMD GPUs with 1 GB of VRAM. Sweet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DMH79 wrote:

My only new gripe in limited use so far ... is that if you change the "appearance" to a lighter background in Premiere Pro CC, you can't see the in and out markings/area in the source and project window.

The contrast of selected track and the In/Out range has been changed in the CC7.2 update. More to your liking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you. A very small change but it makes a difference. Really appreciate it Mark.

I'd have to say though that while I'm SOOOO glad that the AME Bluray bugs were squashed (THANK YOU AME Team!!!) now we're just hoping this bug when saving a project is taken care of that has gone through 4 releases now. It's KILLING us!:

BUG FIX REQUEST (still around since 7.0):

"Warp Stabilizers are the cause of Premiere freezing up when a project is Saved (or Auto-Saved)"

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1278013

Because we use warp stabilizer a lot, every 30 minutes I have to stop working for close to one minute while my GPU accelerated timeline "resets" from RED to YELLOW (during that time you cannot edit) if you toggle between sequences. It's easily repeatable and cross-platform as you see in the link above. I cannot stand it. Please Mark, put in a good word on this one and kill it. I know many people don't see it because they may not use this effect as much as we do, but can you imagine your NLE temporarily freezing up basically every 30 minutes. It's maddening.

Finally...

LINGERING FEATURE REQUEST:

Drag/Drop should override Source Patching.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5572713#5572713

(see post #37)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you say "still around," I gather you've tested this warp stabilizer issue in 7.2, but I wanted to confirm that. I thought it might have been fixed along with this bug: "Significant delays loading projects or exporting projects with Warp Stabilizer."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mark Mapes wrote:

Since you say "still around," I gather you've tested this warp stabilizer issue in 7.2, but I wanted to confirm that. I thought it might have been fixed along with this bug: "Significant delays loading projects or exporting projects with Warp Stabilizer."

Hi Mark. Yes, it's still around from 7.0 thru 7.2

The other issue I don't think I mentioned in a forum thread. I actually pointed it out to Steve Hoeg in a PM and he was able to reproduce the issue and said that they'd fix it. Sound like they did which is great. It was a delay with sequences with multiple warp stabilizers where when you hit export in 7.1 (not present in 7.0.1) there would be a delay of SEVERAL MINUTES before the dialog box would open. The more warps, the longer it took. Really glad that's gone now. )

But yeah, the bug/issue with saving projects as mentioned in that thread above is still here in 7.2  ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make it so that a single click on a clip displays the clip in the Source Monitor panel.

Oh, I would hate that.  If I want a clip loaded, I'll load it.  I don't want it done by default.  Otherwise my Source Monitor would get loaded with all kinds of clips I actually don't want to see when I'm moving between them.

you can't simply select a clip and mark a frame.

You're leaving out that all important step of finding the frame to mark, and where is that best done?  Source Monitor!  Which is where you set markers quite easily.  So I'm a little confused about exactly what you're looking for here.

I believe the current behavior is the most useful.  It makes little sense to have it in a sequence without being in a bin, so let's keep that.  And since you can rename clip instances in the sequence, it'd be frustrating to have those all suddenly change because you changed the name of the clip in a bin after you laid down (and possibly renamed) those instances.  (Take note that any instances laid down after the rename do show the new name.)

you can't drop an effect or keep effects attached to clips in the bins.

You can get there with nesting for the time being.

Double clicking a clip in the timeline should definitely move the CTI in the Source panel to the same frame.

It does.

Media Encoder's H.264/QuickTime compression is visibly inferior at the same bit rates.

"Adobe Media Encoder is much easier to use than Compressor, encodes faster, and produces much higher quality output, as you can see in the video that accompanies this article."

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/News/Feature/Tutorial-Encoding-H.264-Video-in-Adobe-Media-Encoder-CS...

They added syncing by waveform for Merged Clips. I have not had any luck with this yet. It didn't work when I tried to use it, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

It hasn't yet successfully synced for me either.  Though the levels were admittedly low, and there was no 'clap' to work from, just room noise and dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I would hate that.  If I want a clip loaded, I'll load it.  I don't want it done by default.

Well, I would find it extremely useful. A similar feature is one of the better aspects of FCPX. I would want it to be a mode that could be toggled on or off though.

You're leaving out that all important step of finding the frame to mark, and where is that best done?  Source Monitor!

Finding the frame to mark? That's the point. Having stopped the CTI in the timeline, I want to mark that frame in that clip. Opening it in the source viewer is an extra and needless step.

I believe the current behavior is the most useful.  It makes little sense to have it in a sequence without being in a bin, so let's keep that.  And since you can rename clip instances in the sequence, it'd be frustrating to have those all suddenly change because you changed the name of the clip in a bin after you laid down (and possibly renamed) those instances.

It makes little sense to have zero connection between a clip in the bin and a clip in the timeline OTHER than not being able to delete the one in the bin. If the two instances contained any other kind of link at all, such as maintaining the same applied effects, correspondence of file name changes, or correspondence of changes to the in/out point, I might understand the thinking.

I regularly place copies of clips into temporary bins. When I'm done with a bin, I can't delete it if I used even just one of the clip copies, even if the original clip still exists in another bin. I end up creating a “Trash” bin, which seems silly, since it's all non-destructive. All clips are really just symbolic links to media files. I'm not trying to delete the actual file.

You can get there with nesting for the time being.

I suppose that's true. It could be simpler.

It does.

It doesn't.

Not after the first time. The very first time you open a timeline clip in the Source panel, it corresponds. Any time after that, it does not. This would be less of an issue if I could mark a clip directly in the timeline, per my other point. Instead, if stop the CTI in the timeline and want to work with that frame in the Source panel, I have to visually find it. I can't just mark it and I can't just double-click it to get it to match.

"Adobe Media Encoder is much easier to use than Compressor, encodes faster, and produces much higher quality output, as you can see in the video that accompanies this article."

If we pretend for a second that that article was some kind of unbiased, scientific test, I can only say that in my personal experience, Media Encoder does not output QuickTime files with the same quality as Compressor. I agree that Media Encoder is easier to use. I like it, actually. And it may very well be faster or perform better with certain codecs and wrappers.

It hasn't yet successfully synced for me either.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wasn't able to get the waveform sync to work. In my case, there were very clear sticks and the audio of both tracks was pretty good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines