• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transcode Canon DSLR h264 to ProRes 422 - workflow and settings in Adobe CC?

Engaged ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm sure there must be others here who edit with footage from the Canon DSLR's (I'm using Canon 5Dmkii) and who like to transcode to ProRes. I'm looking at workflows to batch transcode the camera files to ProRes codec (I'm looking at Prelude as an option).

ProRes doesn't automatically appear in Prelude as a codec option for ingest, and it seems you have to create a preset in Media Encoder first (this preset will then appear in Prelude as I understand it).

So my question comes to this: What settings are people using to transcode from Canon DSLR h264 to ProRes (422)? I have high bitrate H264's from my Canon using Magic Lantern, and obviously want to retain all the information I have in the files whilst I don't want to generate unnecessarily large files.

Any ideas?

I'm a bit confused with "maximum bitrate" (or not), and a choice between 8bpc or 16bpc. Anyone know what's necessary?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a better title for this thread would perhaps have been "Canon DSLR H264 to Apple Pro Res transcode - bit depth"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My confusion specifically is that ProRes 422 is 10-bit, yet the options in the export window are 8bpc or 16bpc. Also is "maximum bit depth" necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using Cineform proxies for that media.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Jim,

could you explain why if you have time?

Since I began with the Canon DSLRs I always transcoded to ProRes 422 (albeit in Compressor as was using FCP and had that bundled), editing in ProRes and exporting my masters to ProRes also.

interested to know you workflow and the reasons for it.

Do realise its quite a deep subject...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry Jim, I hadn't seen your link re: working with proxy media. I have a fairly fast machine and don't really see the need to user lighter weight proxy codecs, I prefer to transcode to the codec I'm going to edit in and then ultimately colour grade etc. It just works ok for me already like that.

My question really is the settings re: bit depth to transcode H264 files from a DSLR to ProRes 422 (i.e. 8bit to 10bit codec)

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines