• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to create interlaced effect from 60i footage; help with export settings/resolution

New Here ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've extracted some 60i footage from my Sony Handycam HDR-CX150 that records AVCHD (.MTS) files. I believe it records in 1440x1080 and it stretches it out to a vertical 1920x1080 resolution with a 1.333 pixel aspect ratio. I am importing my footage into Premiere Pro 2024 and I want to upload it to Youtube, with an intentional interlacing effect.

My bigger problem is that I want to extract the interlacing effect from this footage and make it viable (such as the video seen here). So, I interpreted my footage as Progressive Scan (instead of Upper Fields, which would get rid of the interlacing lines) and in my sequence I changed Upper Field First (which would have done the same thing as said before) to Progressive Scan. (below)

Screenshot 2024-05-17 224528.png

JinHong29105022u34q_2-1716007369579.png

It seems to do the trick, but the problem is that when it is full screen, the interlaced lines are too thin (pixel-by-pixel on and off) and they kind of destroy my exported video into a mush of crushed bitrate. (below)

JinHong29105022u34q_3-1716007414994.png

I looked at the preview screen of my export window for the crushed footage, and it looked EXACTLY how I wanted it to; the lines weren't too thin, but not too thick either. (below)

Screenshot 2024-05-17 224532.png

So then I got the idea of exporting my footage as a smaller resolution, so that the lines may become thicker and the effect will be less harsh. But for some reason, when I export it (say, at 1080p) and open it in preview, the interlaced lines almost look greyed out and not at full opacity, which tells me I'm doing something wrong with changing my resolution. (below)

JinHong29105022u34q_4-1716007464877.png

Perhaps I'm supposed to export at some specific resolution that gives me those desired lines I saw in the preview? Looking for answers. Thanks!

TOPICS
Export , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "crushed footage" look that you're liking is the apperance of the interlaced footage being scaled to fit the Program panel.  We'd usually set the settings to Display First Field or Display Second Field to avoid it when cutting at 1080i.

I'd screen record the playback of Premiere Pro, then use After Effects to crop out to the picture in that recording and then scale it to 1080p for use in your edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. So is there no way to straightforwardly get those lines in an export (i.e. is a screen recording my only way out of this)? This just seems sort of impractical, and I'm worried that the quality from the screen recording compared to the export is drastically low. I've measured the pixel height of the preview window, and I've tried to export my video at that resolution, but it doesn't seem to work the same. Is there something the preview window is doing that the downscaling resolution is not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The interlaced fields should always render correctly regardless of what the Source panel or Program panel looks like.  As you've noticed, too thin for what you are looking for.

Try the Venetian Blinds effect.

Duplicate the video clip above itself in the Timeline.

Nudge the duplicate a few frame left or right so that it is playing a few frames earlier or later than the original below it.

Apple Venetian Blinds (Effects > Video Effects > Obsolete > Venetian Blinds) to the duplicate and set the Effect parameters as follows:

• Transition Completion: 50%
  • Direction: 90 degrees
  • Width: 10 to 20
  • Feather: 0

Make sure that the Program magnification is at 100% while making the adjustments.

I think between adjusting Width and maybe also Feather you should get close to what you are describing.

Pictured:  Venetian Blinds applied to clip stacked above itself in the TimelinePictured: Venetian Blinds applied to clip stacked above itself in the Timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice for the Venetian Blinds, but I've already tried it and I don't think my machine has the resources to render all of this with the amount of clips I have. Do you think the person in the video I posted in the original post used artificial interlacing (venetian blinds, etc.)? I'm really just trying to achieve authentic interlacing. To reiterate, what would be the difference between downscaling my 1440p footage to something smaller vs. what the Premiere preview (the look I'm going for) is showing? Thanks for taking your time to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we see both fields at the same time, that’s called “combing” - like combing your hair.

To see both fields at the same time in Premiere Pro, select the i60 clips in your project and choose Clip > Modify > Interpret Footage.  HDV 1080i60 source (that is, 1440-by-1080 1.33 PAR, interlaced, 29.97 source) will work well for this.  In the Interpret Footage dialog box, change the Field Order from “Upper Field First” to “Conform to: No Fields (Progressive Scan)”.  Ideally, these clips would be used in a Sequence that is 1080p29.97 or 1080p30.

However, in your screenshots, it looked like you are going for thicker scan lines.  Is that correct?  If so, then use Venetian Blinds.  To ease the processing requirement on your computer, you could pre-render the clips with Venetian Blinds baked in.  Import a clip, setup the Venetian Blinds, then export.  I’d use ProRes 422 LT for this.  Repeat until all of your clips have this look baked in and use these as your source in our main project.

A technical note:  Don’t summarize progressive 1440-by-1080 1.33 PAR as “1440p”.  Use the frame height, not the frame width.  “1080i” could be 1920-by-1080 interlaced, 1440-by-1080 interlaced, or 1280-by-1080 interlaced.  When summarizing settings, the PAR (pixel aspect ratio) value indicates how wide the frame is.  So, Full HD is PAR 1.0, HDV/DVCPro is 1.33, and DVCPro is 1.5.  As such, 1080p PAR 1.33 would be correct while 1440p means a taller frame size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. So is the only way of recreating the thick scanlines shown in the preview box by re-interpreting my footage into a normal deinterlaced sequence, and then artificially adding those lines with Venetian Blinds?

To clear up any confusion, the "thick scanlines" that are in the preview box in the export screen are showing when the interlacing pattern (at full screen) is perfectly every other (even/odd) pixel. So when I fullscreen the video window in the sequence with my interlacing settings, the lines are very thin (which is what I don't want). However, when I go to the export screen to export my video, the preview box looks completely different from the view I just saw in the sequence video; the lines appear much thicker. I am more fond of this look than the one in the sequence, because the interlacing looks a lot more natural.

Additionally, I apologize if I've asked this question again and again, but do you know how Premiere constructs the preview box in the export screen? It looks perfect in the preview box, and I think it would be better for me to just recreate whatever settings it's previewed at (in the export window) within the sequence/export settings, instead of having to resort to venetian blinds.Screenshot 2024-05-17 224532.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're back to screen recording that window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope you're able to find a look that you're happy with.

Your post about trying to introduce an interlaced fields look takes me down memory lane a little bit.  Ever since we've been able to capture full frame, full motion video (mid-1990s), I wish I had an extra $5 for every paniced email that went out in all caps along the lines of "SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE VIDEO!  THERE ARE ALL THESE WEIRD LINES!!!" when it's just the i60 file being viewed on a progressive display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines