Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to use Essential Graphics templates created in AE

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Latest licensed Premiere and After Effects is installed

When attempting to use an Essential Graphics template I create in AE, in Premiere I get the following error message:

I am able to use the built-in templates in Premiere without issue.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

I think I figured it out.  It appears that you are using the root directory of a drive for Media Cache, which is not supported by AE.  It's possible to get into this state because PR and AE share the same cache directory.  And if you migrated your AE preferences when updating to 14.2, AE will use the root directory settings from the older AE preferences.  That is the actual problem, which results in the failure to use the (.mogrts) in PR.

We'll look into changing that behavior.  In the mean time,

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 120 Replies 120
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of June 13, 2017 there are new updates for both Premiere (version 11.1.2) and After Effects.  Downloading them now to see if they fix this problem. Both update descriptions state these updates are for bug fixes.

Have searched for more specifics as to what bugs are addressed but cannot find this info as of yet.

Hope it does help this issue and will report back here on what I find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sad to report that this June 13, 2017 bug fix does NOT resolve this issue of AE mogrts failing in Premiere Pro and falsely reporting that you need to install the latest version of After Effects when in fact. the latest version of After Effects IS INSTALLED.

Extremely disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok - just went thru most of the suggested fixes again after the latest updates-

log out and into CC Account

check cache disc permissions (and all disc permissions) to allow all Users read/write and Full Control

delete PP and AE cache folders

reboot workstation

startup PP and try and install a pre-installed AE Essential Graphics title

Same failed result - the AE mogrt tries to load into the PPro timeline - stalls at 15% - then falsely reports I need to install the latest AE version which is already installed (and confirmed via looking up the About AE in the Help tab).

These latest 6-13-17 Updates to nothing to fix this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please file the bug report ... they don't respond, but these do get distributed in a tabulated form to all manager types, and getting the best understanding of where a problem is and how wide ... and if "a" fix doesn't work in other situations ... is really good.

Neil

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another possible workaround, if the cause of the failure is a result of read/write privileges, specific to your system.

Background:

When the AE (.mogrt) is added to a PR sequence, headless AE launches as a background process, and temporarily opens the project on disk.  The default location for the temp directory is:

Win, C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common

Mac, Users\username\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Common

However, you can change the target directory for temp projects.

1. Launch AE, and open the preferences tab for Media & Disk Cache.

2. In the Conformed Media Cache pane, choose a New Folder for Database, and Cache. 

3. Select a directory that is not located in your User library, for example, select the User\Documents folder, or another directory that is not hidded from the user by default, by the OS.

4. Click OK to close AE preferences. 

5. Quit AE.

6. Install and add an AE (.mogrt) into a PR sequence.

This will force headless AE, to write the temp project, to a non-system directory.  You can verify this by viewing the contents of the new target directory.  It should now contain com.adobe.ae.cap, Media Cache, and Media Cache Files folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James Landy:

Thanks for these new instructions.

I have the AE directory folder for Disk Cache, Conformed Media Cache "Database" and "Cache" all pointing to the following drive location:

Disk Cache                           G\Media Cache

Conformed Media Cache    

Database: G\

Cache:      G:

Disk G is an M2 flash drive.

But when placing an AE .mogrt on a Premiere timeline it still stalls at 15% and then falsely reports I need to install the latest AE which is already installed on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also add that on this G drive that I am pointing too for Media Cache noted above, I do see the following folders:

com.adobe.ae.cap

Media Cache

Media Cache Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing happing here... folders are created, but it still stalls at 15% and gives the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me, tried the steps of moving the directories, but still stalls at 15%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured it out.  It appears that you are using the root directory of a drive for Media Cache, which is not supported by AE.  It's possible to get into this state because PR and AE share the same cache directory.  And if you migrated your AE preferences when updating to 14.2, AE will use the root directory settings from the older AE preferences.  That is the actual problem, which results in the failure to use the (.mogrts) in PR.

We'll look into changing that behavior.  In the mean time, you can try to workaround it by setting the AE preference for Conformed Media Cache, to use the default location, or a non-root directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that this workaroud does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

You are a genius... this solved the issue and my .mogrt's now import correctly from AE.  Thank you so much for sticking around and helping with this problem!

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yahoooo!

James Landy's latest workaround fixes the problem with AE .mogrts (pre-installed After Effects Essential Graphics templates) not correctly working on a Premiere Pro timeline.

Thank you so very much for sticking with this oddball issue.

In my case, after moving both the After Effects Conformed Media Cache from the Root Directory on a super fast drive dedicated specifically for cache files to a sub-folder on that same drive, the AE .mogrt files work correctly when placed on a Premiere Pro timeline.

Go to your edit your Preferences in After Effects > Media Cache > Media Cache Database (there might be 2 locations showing in this area that you need to "Browse" and choose to set a file folder location that is not directly connected to the drive [Example:   G: media cache - that's the problem. Your choice needs to be something like    G:\MediaCache\Adobe\After Effects   .... ]) 

The After Effects cache needs to be located in a subfolder of the chosen drive for Media Cache - not directly at the drive root as Landy points out.

Thank You again James Landy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe the status of this thread could be changed to "ANSWERED"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution does not work. I've tried following Anand's instructions and that too does not solve the issue (PPro won't even boot up).

???

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/James+Landy  wrote

We'll look into changing that behavior.  In the mean time, you can try to workaround it by setting the AE preference for Conformed Media Cache, to use the default location, or a non-root directory.

YES, THIS IS THE ANSWER

To clarify here is a screenshot of my settings:

ae cache.png

Observe that not only is the "Conformed Media Cache" > "Cache" folder not only on a separate drive than my OS (drive "D:\") but it is ALSO in a sub-folder on that drive. This was the key, as I've had "Conformed Media Cache" > "Cache" setup as just "D:\" this whole time. I created a new folder called "Conformed Media Cache" and decided to put it inside the "Adobe After Effects" folder, but as long as this is not on the root of your drive ("D:\" in my case) then it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My cache and conformed media cache are NOT in a root directory!!!!!
This thing still doesn't work!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any MoGRT dragged onto the Timeline showing Video+Audio layer stems will not work. Only MoGRTs with only a Video stem will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But are they on the same drive as your OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course it's on a different drive. Maybe I should check if my drive's formatted???
This is a silly/stupid bug if it's got to do with the location of the file/folder!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded to PPro CC 2018 and I am now able to use previously unusable MOGRT Templates.

I DID NOT CHANGE MY CACHE FOLDERS!!! I'm using MOGRT Templates that were created while back.

I'll report back should issues crop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

I am having the same problem.

It appears your answer was selected as the correct answer, but it would be great to have some more specific details here. For example, I opened AfterFX and mine is already set to use the "conformed cache". I turned various settings on/off, changed disks, even uninstalled and reinstalled both FX and PRE (which is really a major interruption to workflow in the middle of a project).

I find the solution here to be rather ambiguous...

Can you please elaborate on exactly how to fix this issue? A screenshot of settings or quick screencast video?

Thank you for your consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, did what was suggested and no fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just adding two cents, that nothing is working, wasted over 2 hours now.   tried to rename the cache folders, reinstalled,  etc etc (stuck in 2017...not using 2018, but just can't at the moment)  . Incredibly frustrating along with a variety of other performance issues.

Can't believe how much I'm spending every month to just be frustrated and work slower than I did in FCP.

It's odd that I can add the AE templates to the timeline that comes with the program, without the erro popping up. But not a template that that I bought online.

anyone have thoughts as to why this is happening?

thx

scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one you bought online may have different forms from different versions of PrPro and/or AE. Not all the new features for 2018 are workable in 2017 versions, is another thing. And ... some mogrts aren't really done correctly.

Where did you get the mogrt?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines